Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  9

Thread: The New Normal;

Blog Entries

Default The New Normal;

Ever since early spring I fished using my 11 1/2 foot Hardy Swift, these are a powerful and genuine 2 hand rod with full corks. However at 11'6" they are better suited to medium flows where casts over 70 foot are not required, the rod will do it but 70 and under is the sweet spot for me.

Now as South Central Alaska continues to wither under the most severe drought on the record rivers continue to shrink. I'm not interested in torturing fish already under stress but there are a few bastions where there is still some moderately cold flows going and we're off come Sunday for a remote river.

My friend flew over the area Wednesday and reports that he thinks the water level is still good enough to provide some good trout fishing so we're gonna find out. I won't be swinging the Hardy Swift though because having a good knowledge of this river I know it will not be Spey rod wide and it will be a reduced flow. So...…

I spent some time this morning when not commenting on threads and stirring up trouble here Where was I? Oh yeah, this morning... I made a leader for that 8 weight RIO Single Hand Spey line that goes on my 1984 nine and one half foot Orvis Light Salmon rod. That looks to be the new normal until things change. The rod has a full bottom cork and will sling my tube flies out to 50 feet with accuracy and ease so it's in the batters box. The leader is plain mono tapered down to 12 pound fluorocarbon not because I love fluro but because my micrometer said use it for a better match on the tippet.

This one;

That's an old photo used on the Rod Love thread, the rod is a 2 piece dandy and the reel is a late 90's Hardy Ultra Light Disc. I have the full spey style cork, the stock fighting butt and of course the aluminum butt cap for the rod but the long cork as favorite. You can make traditional Spey casts with that rig just as if it were a 14 foot Sage X.....

The reel incidentally has an incredible drag system that I wouldn't hesitate to take after king salmon if they ever return in great numbers again. I know that sounds awful but it too is the new normal, to be pessimistic that is

If you ever spot one of these for sale don't be hesitant, just scoff it up because they are great reels with the old school vibe.

I'm going to take 2 cameras along, my handy waterproof Lumix and my Cannon which will do a way better job of getting some landscapes from the flying part. I'll post things here in cold water fishing and the Alaska General when I have them ready. I've placed my trusty stream thermometer in my tackle pack and will tell you what's happening with that also.

Anyone else have an old Light Salmon? I've got both the graphite and bamboo models of it.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

2. Likes mcnerney, eastfly66, ejsell, dennyk, spm, flytie09 liked this post

Default Re: The New Normal;

Hey Ard, So I am going to assume that is a stock rod and you didn't custonize the lower grip right ? What was the rod originally marketed as a SH or 2H ? The term"switch"hadn't hatched yet I think right? I like that reel , nice classic look to it.

Blog Entries

They were sold as a single hand rod with detachable fighting butts. I've used it for spey casting small streams ever since I got it but last year I bought a Rio 3D line for it and really liked the way it worked. It took some wrangling but the good folks at Orvis searched through their 30 year old parts inventory and found me the longer extension handle. I have the same handle on the Bamboo but they are built with different mandrels and not interchangeable.

Here's the bamboo Light Salmon with a 4" butt

They have a traditional front cork grip for single hand use, I also have the short butt for the bamboo, better make sure I know where.

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

5. Likes eastfly66, flytie09, brownbass liked this post

Ard, your thread brings back some fond memories for me. The 9”6” orvis light salmon rod is what intrigued me. I started salmon fishing on the Pere Marquette river in Michigan with an Orvis 10’ HLS 8wt rod. It was not Spey fly fishing, but what they called chuck and duck. Ahead of your flies you tied on some weight, often what they called a slinky (about 5 bb split shot weights in a parachute cord) and then tied on tandem flies. You then threw this rig at a slight angle upstream and used it to get to the bottom where the salmon were. It worked well but was also rather clumsy and awkward. Nonetheless, my elegant 8wt Orvis HLS slung it out there with the best, and the 10’ length afforded a longer drift. I still have that rod and have alway liked it. I think fishing for salmon with Spey flies sounds like a lot of fun. Here in the Midwest though, we found salmon reluctant to take a fly unless you put it right in their face, which unfortunately, leads to a lot of foul hooked salmon. After fishing for salmon for several years I moved on. On a good day on some Great Lake tribs you could easily hook More than 20 salmon and lose more. I would like to hear more about how salmon respond to flies in Alaska, and why the Spey approach is so effective. Best, SR

Oh, one more thing. The Orvis HLS 8 wt also had a removable fighting but, but from your pics, it was much smaller in length. The cork handle was a typical full wells grip.