Cut Throat Trout Pics

Jackster

Reaction score
Here goes!

I thought I had more but not it doesn't look like their on Photobucket

Reaction score
Great pics DOK! I gotta ask how you made the background all swirley in that one?
LOL.. I was on another board mostly Colorado folks and if you even showed beach someone recognized it. The next time I would hit that stretch it would be loaded with people. So I just photo shopped the rotation wheel on the photobucket tool bar an swirled the **** out of the background in an attempt to hide the location..Well that didn’t work, next time I went a group of 5 guys from the board were standing in the river just flailing away. I also swirled my face in an attempt to avoid recognition on the river, well that didn’t work either. I was on the Charlie Myers section of the South Platte and a non fly guy recognized me in the parking lot and followed me for half the morning tossing treble hooked lures and snagging some really nice fish in the Gills, Eyes and unconventional locations. so that’s why some of my Pics have swirled face..anyway

The cutty is a great fish I want more right now. Too bad I can’t get a kitchen pass for a few weeks. I also need to do "vice" time so I’m not prepared anyway.
Remember
"Put your toys away after your done playing with them"
Steve

yatahey

Reaction score
Ah. Cutthroats are my most favoritist of the the trouts. Can never get enough Cuttys.

yatahey

Reaction score
Need to tell the Story behind that big feller Yhat.. "Lock Jaw" Lake
If you dont I will..
Git your "puter" fixed?
I think I posted the vid you took of that day here before, but here it is again for those who may have missed it. Warning: there are a couple of expletives in the dialog.
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c93JTT6k4HM"]YouTube - Lock Jaw Lake[/ame]

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Gotta love those cuttys! We live in the middle of prime cutthroat waters and we target them often. I have included mostly pics from this past year, with a few from previous years thrown in because they were so good.

Hope you like. This will be a multi-part post, since we have so many to show. You wouldn't believe how many pics we have of trout, these represent my favorites.

...more to come.

Kelly.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I think I posted the vid you took of that day here before, but here it is again for those who may have missed it. Warning: there are a couple of expletives in the dialog.
YouTube - Lock Jaw Lake
Cheese and Crackers is right! That is a beautiful cutthroat, guys!

I think one of the reasons I stopped photographing fish is due to watching fish be photographed in videos. I do not mean to criticize you personally, you kept the fish in the water while photographing it the first time, and dipped it back in once, but really, just dipping a fish into shallow, still water for a couple seconds after holding it out of the water for 20 seconds is not helping the fish at all.

No one really knows how long it takes for gills to be damaged out of the water. I have read different things. I like to stay better safe than sorry and get a fish submerged in water within 15-20 seconds. Also, just because a fish darts away when you let go does not mean that damage has not been done to the gills.

I hope I'm not being preachy here, it is not my intent. We are all fishers here and passionate about our quarry. Sometimes we need to be reminded that the picture is not always worth it. Please remember to handle these big, beautiful fish with their best interest in mind.

Reaction score
Cheese and Crackers is right! That is a beautiful cutthroat, guys!

I think one of the reasons I stopped photographing fish is due to watching fish be photographed in videos. I do not mean to criticize you personally, you kept the fish in the water while photographing it the first time, and dipped it back in once, but really, just dipping a fish into shallow, still water for a couple seconds after holding it out of the water for 20 seconds is not helping the fish at all.

No one really knows how long it takes for gills to be damaged out of the water. I have read different things. I like to stay better safe than sorry and get a fish submerged in water within 15-20 seconds. Also, just because a fish darts away when you let go does not mean that damage has not been done to the gills.

I hope I'm not being preachy here, it is not my intent. We are all fishers here and passionate about our quarry. Sometimes we need to be reminded that the picture is not always worth it. Please remember to handle these big, beautiful fish with their best interest in mind.
Dean we share the same respect for our finned Friends that's for sure!
That fish took off like a Dart..unharmed and happy to be alive
Yat and myself always practice CPR on every fish caught..The resource is limited.
We climbed to 12k in elevation and dropped down into the caldera to catch this fish and a few of its cousins..
It is a popular destination and I don't want to miss out on a good tug next time..So this guy was put back with love and care.
I dig your commitment too Protecting the resource,, BULLY BULLY TOO you sir.
Haloed be thy name... Thy Kingdom Come TroutFishermans will be done..on streams as it is in rivers..

Oh Yeah.. Don't forget to put your toys back when your done playing with them!
Steve

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Most excellent pics everyone! Biggie, that last one is a true beastie :yikes:

Here are some more from our past season:

...more to come

Kelly.

madjoni

Reaction score
This trout is absolutely beautiful :cool::cool::cool:
Real shame we dont have it here:(
First time I saw it on Marty Stauffer TV-show(my favorite show) when i was kid and if i remember correctly it was about Yellowstone lake and one big river there...

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
As I mentioned earlier in my postings, we had a great year targeting cutties. We live in the middle of prime cutthroat country and they abound. We are currently striving to improve habitat and raise the numbers of cuts in the South Fork of the Snake River, with a perceived danger of overpopulation by rainbow trout, thus reducing the numbers of cutthroat trout and eventually leading to their being listed as endangered. The club I belong to, the Snake River Cutthroats, is a Trout Unlimited sanctioned club and efforts have been underway for years to improve this fishery, something I'm proud to be a part of.

"Nuff said, here are the rest of my cutthroat pics...

A prime Snake River cutthroat trout:

I know I featured this photo in one of my above posts, but it truly was our pic of the year, so I'll share it once again to end my postings on this thread:

Thanks for letting me share.

Tight lines, everyone.

Kelly.