Your favorite winter fly

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
I play the match the hatch game quite a bit on my local tailwater. BWO patterns usually rule throughout the winter, but there are some different mayfly and stonefly hatches. But I just go attractor more times than I care to admit.

After a good rain, I use this fly for dead drift nymphing in conjunction with different stonefly, caddis, or mayfly nymphs.

When I swing for trout, it is hard to beat this fly.

MP

FrankB2

Reaction score
A #10 olive wooley bugger has served me well during the winter. I've been able to catch trout on freezing days using that pattern, so that's where I start. Green Weenies and Zebra midges also work, but are usually tied as a dropper off the back of a wooley bugger. I've been tying my buggers with green or black beadchain eyes for the past few year, and do much better with those than buggers without anything or a single bead.

Reaction score
So, here in CO, winter is upon us.
[/url]

If you say so.. 60 deg last weds & this Tuesday thru Thursday in the 60's again!:icon_conf Just sayin :)
I did a seine sample of a local fishery last January 2nd and found all the bugs in the sample were the same bugs of summer. The BWO in many stages seems to be the fly I always fall back on. I run a 3 fly rig so something Baetis,something wormy and something BWOy..
I have to say RSII is a great choice here in Colorado. itty bitty sizes too.
20 to 24,a real pain in the butt to tie that small.

Don't forget to put your toys away when your finished playing with them.
Steve

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Most of my winter fishing is for Steelhead. I usually fish a two fly rig with a small stonefly as my point fly and some sort of egg pattern on a dropper. If the stone isn't doing it I'll go with a small green caddis.

Dan

Reaction score
Most of my winter fishing is for Steelhead. I usually fish a two fly rig with a small stonefly as my point fly and some sort of egg pattern on a dropper. If the stone isn't doing it I'll go with a small green caddis.

Dan
Do the steelies run all winter? I've never fished for them,never even thought about fishing for them.

Jimmie

Reaction score
Small Bunny Leechs, or Buggers. Best winter Bugger last year was a #12 olive tail, peacock body, palmered grizzly hackle, copper rib.
On this side of the mountain anyhow.

Last edited:

crittergetter

Reaction score
I hate to admit to this one.... GLOBall... Maybe it is because the fish remember the eggs floating from late spawning. It really seams to work.

I can redeam myself on sunny day's with flashback hairsear or some red larve looking small things.

Also, what MoscaP shows I will use often.

CritterGetter

Lambster

Reaction score
I'd have to say ( Mr.Copper ) metalic streamer that shimmers even in low light, its almost like a magnet! Dosn't shrink up! Best streamer on the market for all types of fishin'..........:frogdance

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Here are several I use regularly during the winter:

Big Ugly Rubberlegs:

KG's South Fork Special:

Improved Shop Vac:

Rainbow Warrior:

KG's Deep Purple Peril:

Kelly.

kglissmeyer1

Reaction score
Nice ties KG, yours I assume?
The "Big Ugly" Rubberlegs is just my interpretation of the rubberlegs theme, but it's a killer fly and I use it as the weight to get my three-fly rig down to fish-holding depth.

KG's South Fork Special and KG's Deep Purple Peril are my own creations.

The Rainbow Warrior is someone else's creation, but a great winter fly, as is the Improved Shop Vac. Craig Matthews of Blue Ribbon Flies in West Yellowstone, MT, and a good friend, created the Shop Vac fly, I just added a peacock collar behind and in front of the white wing, thus, the "Improved" (my opinion :shades:) designation. I don't think you could improve much of what Craig ties.

Kelly.

dhayden

Reaction score

Dan
Same.. but instead of the caddis, I'll drop off a Red Copper John.

BigCliff

Reaction score
Winter means trout season for those of us near the Guadalupe tailrace.

Unless I'm slinging streamers, I'me throwing a two fly rig with a peacock and partridge dropper and either a copper john or zebra midge on point. Copper john in fast water, zebra midge for slow.

I'll mix it up with slightly different patterns, but that's my standard rig. Peacock and partridge gets the most use by far.