slinky rig

kerryssz

Reaction score
Have anybody heard of a slinky rig and how does it work? I heard it works great for steelhead fishing.

Jackster

Reaction score
We used them in Michigan when you had to get down and dirty quick.
They're simply parachute cord with splitshot heat sealed inside. We used them on a three-way swivel with the slinky on the bottom. The two main benefits are they got down quick and rarely snagged bottom.

pszy22

Reaction score
The way you make a slinky is to start with parachute cord. Cut off about a three inch piece. Remove the filler cord leaving a hollow braided tube. Take a lighter and singe one end, melting the nylon, while it's still hot, use a pair of needle nose pliers to seal the end. Add split shot to your now sealed tube. You want to use different sizes and numbers of split shot to make different weight sinkers. Once the split shot are in, use the lighter and pliers to seal the other end.

To fish, slide a snap swivel onto the mail part of your leader, use the snap end to attach your slinky.

Don't forget the duck part when you practice chuck and duck.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
I have a bunch of smaller ones made up for nymph fishing, but instead of using a 3-way I use a swivel and attach it to the end of my tippet with my 1st fly 8"-12" above it.
They really do help with the amount of snags and hang ups.

kerryssz

Reaction score
I've been fishing dry flies and streamers most of the time, now it's time to get to nymphs. I know steelhead in Michigan prefer nymphs when it's spawning or not active, so I'm trying to figure out the best way to drift my nymphs. How do you guys detect the strike with a slinky rig, by watching the line? And I read about bouncenymphing. here's a pic. which one is better for dead drifting nymphs for steelhead or other trout.

pszy22

Reaction score
kerryssz,

Be careful, the rig you have posted in your last post is illegal to use in the state of Michigan, You aren't allowed to have your weight suspended below your flies/hooks. So just be sure to move the split shot shown in your picture between the flies and the indicator.

If you take a look here Rigging - Baldwin Bait & Tackle Forum at the top of the page you'll see a very good description of the major two schools of thought- Chuck and duck vs. Indicator fishing.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
pszy22,
I tried to look at the link provided but was unable to view 'threads' without joining the site.

I'm curious as to Why Michigan has ruled this rigging technique to be illegal? perhaps it's too effective? :confused:

i want to catch fish

Reaction score
i live in michigan and its outlawed bc the dnr says it snags to may fish
alot of people swarm around dams up north and just run the bottem with lead and hooks like that rig idk a dnr officer explained it to me 2 years ago and idk you would have to hear it from him

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Thanks for explaining. :icon_smil
If a person were to rig it with bigger hooks and went out with the intention of trying to snag fish, I reckon it would work for that purpose.