Sometimes the trout don't know the rules

tcorfey

Reaction score
Was up on the Trinity river a few days ago swinging for steelhead and I came upon this classic riffle/run/pool scenario. Being fall with very little rain the water was low and clear. The run was maybe 5-6' deep and 100' across and 200 yards long. Now if I was going fishing for small trout in low clear water I would probably use longer leaders a lighter rod and tippet diameter in 5 or 6x due to water clarity. But I was fishing for steelhead using a 13' 7w Spey rod and swinging a 3-4" long rabbit fur leach pattern in size 6-8 trailed by a size 12 wet fly. My tippet size to the streamer was 0x and to the wet fly was 2x. Now if I told anyone I was fishing for smaller sized trout in the above scenario with the rig I was using people would think I was crazy. But, in fact I started casting and immediately started hooking up on small trout 6-10" on the wet fly. After about 10 of these it got pretty annoying so I cut off the wet fly and now started catching trout in the 10-14" range on the streamer.

I know that many times when we go trout fishing we agonize over fly rod weight, length of the rod, the proper size fly and the correct tippet. In this case the fly size to fish size ratio was bizarre really like 3-1 which was rather funny at first but eventually I got tired of it and moved a few miles downstream. What is also ironic is that our common knowledge is that these size trout are normally best approached with smaller tippet and smaller flies on a light rod. I guess sometimes these fish are just hungry, they ignore the rules and the rig, and the tippet size/fly size just doesn't matter. By the way later in the day I did hook up on a descent size fish but I lost him after his first run, alas it was a good day even without catching a larger fish. I just thought I would share.

Regards,

Tim C.

Last edited:

MichaelCPA

Reaction score
A good day! Perhaps the trout really do not care for the size of tippet, especially flouro submerged.

Dry is a totally 'nuther thing.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Sounds just right to me Tim, I think you know that I don't scale rods to match fish, catching a 14 inch trout is great for me regardless of what rod I'm using. Matter of fact they were easy to reel in on that big rod weren't they :) I may have one more run at the steelhead left yet this year myself, hope you can find a couple down there too.

tcorfey

Reaction score
Thanks Ard yep using the bigger rod on average trout makes it easy. Unlike you I can fish steelies into winter on some of the rivers down here come on down if you get bored... I am sure we can find some fish to interest you. :plane:

Regards

Tim C.

redietz

Reaction score
"5-6' deep" doesn't really qualify as low water, even if it was low for that run, and the fact that you said "run" rather than pool implies to me that there was at least a reasonable amount of flow through the section. I've caught small trout swinging streamers with a switch rod and heavy tippet in much lower water than that.

Other than that, I agree that trout sometimes don't follow the rules. In fact, probably more often thatn not.

It's only when they do that it's good to know the rules.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I don't obsess about it, but I am one of those guys that attempts to bring the "correct" gear for the job. You won't often see me on water with small fish with a big rod because I find it boring after a few fish. But you are right, the fish OFTEN don't follow the rules. I suspect most of the fish I catch may actually be illiterate and they apparently haven't read the rule book. :) When it happens you just roll with and have fun catching little fish on big rods. It's still fishin'.

Bigfly

Reaction score
Tim, I don't think leaders are as big a deal when swinging.
I'd bet if you got deeper you'd find bigger fish. Heavier tip..I keep going deeper until I hook up, or hang up.
Anything under twenty (1/2 #s) seem to move more for a bite (vertically or horizontally, and will suspend in faster flows), than larger fish. Most larger fish I target are near or on the bottom in the laminar flow. I tell young guys that coming out of college you don't go straight to the corner office, you will have to work it a bit first. Which is to say run a little risk, be a little uncomfortable, and hustle more.
That is typical of small fry...so to speak.
I'm not into little fish on a big stick so much, but hate big fish on a little stick. I enjoy telling the fish who's in charge.....after years of the opposite using a single hand rod.
I figure if I'm fishing correctly with my Switch/Spey, little fish need not apply. But always....some fish are better than none.
Being an anarchist by nature, I believe rules are made for people who need them. And trout are as opportunistic as me, so I think that's why we get along so well.....generally. There are no rules/limitations, unless you think there are.....every time I go outside the box in life, trying something others say is wrong, and have succeed, just gets me motivated to break more rules.
Like Ard's leader theory.....
The really good fishers make their own rules. And luck isn't really a factor......
Have fun on the water!

Jim

Last edited:

corn fed fins

Reaction score
It's that time of the year when the little clock in their heads says EAT EAT EAT WINTER IS COMING. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk

al_a

Reaction score
It's that time of the year when the little clock in their heads says EAT EAT EAT WINTER IS COMING. Lol

Sent from my VS988 using Tapatalk
I always question that...fish are cold-blooded creatures. They don't need to store fat to keep their metabolism running when it gets cold and keep them warmer. They kinda go with the flow, their bodies as cold as the water that surrounds them, their activity levels slowed by the temperature. I've really never seen trout or bass, both of which I fish for a LOT, feed consistently more actively in the fall than in the spring or summer. You have good days and not so good days, and on the good days they seem to be taking advantage of some suddenly available food source. In fact, though, autumn is my least favorite time to fish if I'm wanting to catch fish instead of surrounding myself with gorgeous fall scenery.

Fish don't follow rules, but WE tend to do so. It might seem that the rules work, but maybe that's only because we anglers seldom break the rules. I am one who is convinced that line diameter means very little to the fish in itself (well, unless you are talking REALLY heavy, like 40 pound test). The fish can see perfectly well in the water, and if the water is clear they can see 6X tippet just as much as 3X...after all, you and I can see both diameters, can't we? I choose my line diameter not on what I think the fish will see or not see, but on the size of my flies. Heavier line just overpowers smaller flies and makes them hang and move in the water in unnatural ways.

And trout like to eat. Unlike bass, they do often get fixated on a single food source, but if there isn't a single food source having a big hatch at the time, they tend to be opportunists just like bass, and often even the little ones are looking for a substantial meal. So I don't hesitate to go bigger sometimes. Some of my best days have been when I've supposedly broken the rules.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I always question that...fish are cold-blooded creatures. They don't need to store fat to keep their metabolism running when it gets cold and keep them warmer. They kinda go with the flow, their bodies as cold as the water that surrounds them, their activity levels slowed by the temperature. I've really never seen trout or bass, both of which I fish for a LOT, feed consistently more actively in the fall than in the spring or summer. You have good days and not so good days, and on the good days they seem to be taking advantage of some suddenly available food source. In fact, though, autumn is my least favorite time to fish if I'm wanting to catch fish instead of surrounding myself with gorgeous fall scenery.

Fish don't follow rules, but WE tend to do so. It might seem that the rules work, but maybe that's only because we anglers seldom break the rules. I am one who is convinced that line diameter means very little to the fish in itself (well, unless you are talking REALLY heavy, like 40 pound test). The fish can see perfectly well in the water, and if the water is clear they can see 6X tippet just as much as 3X...after all, you and I can see both diameters, can't we? I choose my line diameter not on what I think the fish will see or not see, but on the size of my flies. Heavier line just overpowers smaller flies and makes them hang and move in the water in unnatural ways.

And trout like to eat. Unlike bass, they do often get fixated on a single food source, but if there isn't a single food source having a big hatch at the time, they tend to be opportunists just like bass, and often even the little ones are looking for a substantial meal. So I don't hesitate to go bigger sometimes. Some of my best days have been when I've supposedly broken the rules.
I gave you a like on your post because you are aware how habitual, or unmindful fishing is a possible contributer to failure...seeing the box is the first step to fishing outside the box.
But I just saw the fish here grab those last big bugs of the year, like they where candy. Maybe not to get fat...but to increase mass when big bugs are still around. They have to eat Lil bugs all winter. I see the same behavior when the big bugs return in Spring.
At least on my water, there is a feeding surge both times. It's also similar to the big bug hatch in June.
I do not fish out of habit, it's taken decades to learn that lesson.
Fish can go bonkers for little bugs, but not with a sort of stolen fruit kinda rise....that I impatiently wait for every year. I know it's gotten quiet since the Oct. Caddis finished their hatch.....
Midges and BWOs, and a smattering of Lil Caddis till the other side of winter ...

Jim