Catch and Release HELP

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
Does anyone in the world know how to slow down the harvest of stocked fish in North Carolina. If you do please tell me! I live in Boone, NC and fish the local waters almost daily but that will all come to an end in about a week and a half when NC's lovely harvest season opens up. It kills me that in NC you and catch and harvest fish in nearly every stream in the state. Is there anyway to slow down the people from harvesting so many fish or to get more streams to be catch and realese. After trout harvest season opens almost ever fish in the state will be on someones stringer and on the table the next night. Does anyone know how we as Catch and Release fisherman can get more catch and release waters in the state? We have very few streams that are catch and release right now and those that are, are never regulated. If there is anyway to change this and help our catch and release program in the state please let me know. Thanks, Nate

arfishinbear

Reaction score
You arent gonna like part of what I have to say, but I'll say it anyway.
All the places that I know of that are non-harvest through the winter then open harvest in the spring do so for a reason, the fish will not have a good chance of liveing through the hotter months anyway. Before you get to worked up check with you F&GC and see if this is the case if so there is nothing to worry about anyway. Second when the state stocks places, at least most states they do so as a PUT & TAKE fishery to start with. I am for C & R in almost every situation but I also belive folks have a right to harvest some fish to eat, if doing so will not hurt the fishery. Now some folks will tell keeping any fish will hurt the fishery do not belive this hype.
Now if the fish you are worried about will make it through the hotter season and it is worth doing, then contact or start a TU chapter in your area, talk to folks about not keeping fish, just becarfull how you approch them and what you say. You will have more luck just saying soemhting like" you know, if you turn that brown trout back he'll be bigger and funner the next time you catch him", if you just start ranting about putting that fish back becuase only an ******* would kill a fish you may get yourself into trouble.
In my home waters I see folks keeping fish every time I fish all year long, and I never have a problem finding a fish to catch and yes eat if I feel like fresh fish for dinner
Bear

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
I understand the big water areas will get to warm to hold the fish in the summertime but there is no reason some of the small mountain streams cannot be catch and release. I do not have a problem with people harvesting fish, BUT i do have a problem with people keeping 5inch native brookies when the big bows and browns are all gone from the big water streams in this region. All I'm asking for is a little help in preserving our small mountain streams and the native fish we have in this area. I'm not trying to be a jerk and say people should not be able to harvest a fish to eat. Hell i harvest a few stockers myself throughout the season. All im saying is we need to preserve what little population of wild or native fish we have in this region.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Dot,

I feel your pain! I grew up in Pennsylvania and there were plenty of fish hogs there too. Your only and best chance is to find a stream that is not stocked and hopefully one where you don't notice much activity of the human type. No matter where you live there is a hidden gem there.

If and when you find your spot guard it carefully. I used to fish a brook that I was so careful of hiding my presence that I would never park where my truck could be seen from the main road.

Here in AK. I have a spot where I always wear Camouflage and actually hide if any people come walking on the trail. It is small and the general opinion is that it is too small to fish and has only small fish. It flows into the ocean and every spring I catch many large steelhead trout there. I use a very strong 6' 3" custom built 5wt. and a dark grey line so no one will even notice the line flying through the air. So far my best was a 26" fish.

There is a place for you believe me, you just have to take a walk along every piece of water that might harbor a trout. Usually the closer to town the better. Serious fish hogs usually don't look right in their back yards. They go to the places that the guy who sells them their bait, bobbers & stringers tells them is the hot spot.

Good luck & never quit looking for your nitch,

Ard

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
Education is the key...On some of the streams as was said in earlier posts; they may intend it to be a Put and Take fishery due to water conditions. On the streams you mentioned with the Native Brookies, you need to educate yourself and others. I say educate yourself, much easier to convince folks of something they don't want to hear if you can give them facts and statistics, rather then emotion; I mean no offense on that statement. If there are no local chapters of TU or FFF, try and get a group of like minded people interested, and don't overlook your local Chamber of Commerce. If the fishing is good it brings tourist dollars to the area. Once you establish a local club, you can begin working on change through your local fisheries biologist; if a change in policy is warranted. Offer your services for any projects the local biologist may be working on, he will appreciate the help to his budget. Lastly, talking to people on the stream about C&R can go a long ways if you use the right approach.

Good Luck,

Dan

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I understand the big water areas will get to warm to hold the fish in the summertime but there is no reason some of the small mountain streams cannot be catch and release. I do not have a problem with people harvesting fish, BUT i do have a problem with people keeping 5inch native brookies when the big bows and browns are all gone from the big water streams in this region. All I'm asking for is a little help in preserving our small mountain streams and the native fish we have in this area. I'm not trying to be a jerk and say people should not be able to harvest a fish to eat. Hell i harvest a few stockers myself throughout the season. All im saying is we need to preserve what little population of wild or native fish we have in this region.
That point I do agree with very much. Like others have said education is key, places like TU are great starting places. Here we have an annual run of spawning brown trout and some are hogs and I do mean HOGS. The river is stocked with bows, has been stocked with cuts, browns, and brookies.
They do not stock browns any more, there is a natural population now with the spawners. I talked with a guy and asked why dont they make C&R rules for the browns when they are spwaing and easy to catch, he said if they did the trout stamp and fishing Lic. sales would drop off and they would loose the revanue, so every OCT-DEC I see folks turn stocker bows back so they can keep 5 browns. They have made a couple sections C & R only, but I see alot of people kill the browns they put back by rough handling, tearing gills, pulling deep hooks out, instead of cutting the line. Years ago this river was known for big bows and ofcourse they had no C&R rules in place now 1-3lb stockers is all ya catch and it wouldnt surprise me if the browns dont head the same way. Keep pestering you conservation agancy and get with the TU chapters and see what you can get done. There are still pleanty of folks out there that want to keep every thing they catch and its hard to change their minds, hopfully you can get a few to start thinking diffrent. good luck
Bear

boone

Reaction score
Hey bear (and everyone else) this is josh, we've been in contact a little bit lately, how are you... Nathan (dotsonnt) is the guy that i'm going out west with, i turned him onto the site when i told him about all the help and info i was getting here... You definately understand what he is saying when you posted your second post. In our area we have a TON of rivers and streams. The bigger ones like dotson and some others have mentioned are put and take the other smaller ones are not. They are not big enough to harbor large fish, but still they will be fished out before to long. This is what dotson is addressing. Just thought that i'd clear that up for everyone.

onlymidges

Reaction score
Dot I know what you mean. It kills me too that all the rivers here in NC are not catch and release. See someone with fish on a striger kills me. If people want to eat fish they need to go to the store and buy some fish to eat.

I have talk to the Fish and Wildlife guy for this area about getting more delayed harvest and catch & release waters. The main problem is land owners. The land owners think that the government is taking their land to do this. If the land owners would think about it they would understand that the government is not taking their land but it is making better fisheries for themselfs and others.

I have went back to college to get my degree in Fish & Wildlife Management. I am going to try to help get more sections of waters turned to DH and C&R. I have also talked to some land owners about this problem and they have told me they would think about it.

It is not in writting but aleast they are thinking about it.

Jr

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
Hey guys, thanks so much for all the posts you sent. It really means a lot that there are so many fisherman that are actually trying to conserve our wild fish in our local streams. Anything i can do to protect our wild fish population in the state i will do and if anyone would like to help I"M ALL EARS! ha but again thanks to all and good fishin!
P.S. Good luck JR, we need more people in our state wildlife department like you!

arfishinbear

Reaction score
I do have to say this is a tough one. I do agree that trout and some warmwater species need protected better in alot of places. As far as going to the store to buy fish to eat, for trout I agree, you will actually get a little better eating fish then stockers they put in the rivers. When I hear stockers I am use to AR and MO where they stock most streams as a put & take fishery. Bennette Springs, Roaring river, (MO) The little Red and a couple others in (AR) they stock these places either daily or weekly and thats why they do it so folks can come and fish and eat some of what they catch, for rainbows anyway. In MO they stock some small ponds and lakes with trout in the fall and allow fishing C&R only untill late winter early spring, becuse once the water temp warms up the fish will die off anyway.
Here on the Little Red we have a 5 fish limite with only one trout over 24" and anything between 16" and'24" you cant keep. Now they stock every week with bows but they do not stock with browns or cuts or brookies anymore. Most of the year thats fine, you normaly arent gonna catch a bunch of browns anyway, but in the late fall early winter when the browns spwan you can tear them up and like I said before folks let the bows go and keep 5 browns, I have talked with folks about changeing that. Like makeing a 2 or better yet no brown limite in the spwaning season, it usally falls on on deaf ears.
The two main problems with that is public relations and money, land owners, out of state fishers, and even locals that want to go to the river and catch fish and eat them are going to stop fishing and stop buying trout tags. Most conservation Dep. get most of their revanue from the sale of licenes and tags and they dont have enough to do what they need and want to do to start with so its hard for them to pass rules that will hurt them worse.
On another river north of me folks where really hurting teh brown trout dureing spawn and enough folks hollerd and now you can not fish that river at all for like 2-3 months of the year wich is fine unless I am a guide on that river( iam not) that losses 3 months worth of wages from out of state folks that want a shot at a trophy brown, then you have the ripple affect, if the guide dosent have the money they could have then they dont have the money to spend at the store the fishing shop, the walmart, you get the ideal.
Then if they do make C&R rules you have to worry about folks doing it right, not killing the fish the put back, wich 60 perecnt of more do not know how to do right, and you also have to worry about enforcing those laws, most conservation agents have 2-3 counties they cover.
The one good thing though is that with todays medea coverage and the push for C&R on trout and bass (seem to be the big two) and trophy fish there are alot of folks going to C&R on species of fish they didnt in the past, now if we could get the 75% to start useing a little common sense and doing the right thing to protect our fisheries.
I think as guides and conservation minded fishermen/ladies its up to us as well as the local conservation departments to talk to and teach others about not keeping all the fish you catch and the proper ways to practice C&R. I also keep my local conservation officers cell number as well as the local Sherrifes dept. number in my cell phone, if I see someone breaking game and fish laws or putting others at risk or littering I can just pull out the phone and hit a button.
Bear

jcl

Reaction score
Now they stock every week
This is something I was thinking about. It won't necessarily improve the fishery, but I know that feeling of seeing your water just completely cleaned out. I wonder if, instead of pushing for C&R water, it might make sense as a starting point to push for smaller, but more frequent stockings. That way you don't have that big rush the first week the truck's been by. You might have fewer trout in the water at any one time, but there'd be some there for a longer period.

And for that matter, I think "cleaned out" is kind of an approximation. Plenty of the trout will move or just not be caught. So the stream might not be fishing like it should, but it's probably not empty or useless for fishing, even if it feels that way sometime.

arfishinbear

Reaction score
This is something I was thinking about. It won't necessarily improve the fishery, but I know that feeling of seeing your water just completely cleaned out. I wonder if, instead of pushing for C&R water, it might make sense as a starting point to push for smaller, but more frequent stockings. That way you don't have that big rush the first week the truck's been by. You might have fewer trout in the water at any one time, but there'd be some there for a longer period.

And for that matter, I think "cleaned out" is kind of an approximation. Plenty of the trout will move or just not be caught. So the stream might not be fishing like it should, but it's probably not empty or useless for fishing, even if it feels that way sometime.
Makes sense to me. And even if not all C&R water, make streatches of it C&R and lower the limit on the rest of the river.
The one thing I keep thinking though is enforcing the rules. A friend and I were talking about this a coupel days ago, he shared with me a story, We have a one fishing pole pre angler on this streatch of the river, he was fishing one day and seen two guys in a boat with three poles out, he said they should becarful, your only supose to have one rod each and one of the guys in the boat laughed and said " hell ya never see an agent around here anyway, I aint worried about it".

boone

Reaction score
Bear you're right on with that. There are tons of infractions around here but even if you do call the game warden they hardly ever do anything. Boone, NC and surrounding areas could have some grade A fisheries if they were managed properly.

onlymidges

Reaction score
AMEN to that Boone!!!!! This past weekend two guys from out of town came up to fish the DH here in town. One of them caught a monster Bow. They went by the fly shop in town and told the owner about catching the fish. He asked if they took any pictures of the fish and they said "Pictures no we keep it". The shop was full of people and the owner could not call the warden to report them.

As for another DH I fish all the time is getting hammered by CORN chuckers and they are keeping the fish there as well.

This is what I would love to do to them.

Does any body remember the whoopings we got with switches when we where young. The tip of a fly rod will last a lot longer than one of those switches and hurt a lot more.

Jr

Dotsonnt

Reaction score
JR buddy im right there with ya man! Ha i like that idea! Bear your right, it really puzzles me how the local game warden still has a job in these hard times if he doesn't do his job. AND TRUST ME it wouldn't be hard to find someone to write up around here!

onlymidges

Reaction score
I have had my fishing licsenes check about 30 time from the first of the year until last week, but the wardens can't catch these poeple fishing with corn and keeping fish.

The last time I was checked I asked the warden
"Don't you know me by now. You ask me who I guide for ever time you have checked me?"

It is good that they are checking licsenes but #!*% catch the people breaking the law, and leave the ones that fish by the law, and the ones they know alone.

Jr

FrankB2

Reaction score
Start a rumor that the trout are mercury and PCB tainted :eek: . Actually,
I run into a guy at the local put and take lake, and he's always telling everyone that the nearby hospital releases untreated waste water into the
lake. It's not true, but he has a lot of people convinced.

Push for my public awareness through TU chapters, call your state reprentatives, ask for small stretches of certain streams to be designated
FF'ing only, etc. Take small steps at first, and you might have better luck. Be
aware that alot of the trout we see are stocked, and anglers pay for those
trout with licenses. If they aren't allowed to keep their catch, I think you'd
see a severe decline in permits for bait/spin fishermen. The latter outnumber
fly fishermen by a HUGE margin.

Pennsylvania has its share of C&R only trout streams, and also private clubs
(mega-pricey...REAL MEGA-PRICEY!).

onlymidges

Reaction score
DH is delayed harvest waters. It is catch & release but the first saturday of June until the first saturday of Oct. the fish can be harvested by any kind of bait. This is a way to recycle the fish. From June to Oct. the Fish & Wildlife want people to catch the fish and keep them. This is what F&W call a turn around or clean this section of water out and we will stock this section of water again in starting Oct. with fresh fish.

Now from Oct. to June the DH water are catch & release but people think they can use any thing for bait. Not true it is single hook only
(fly,single hook spinner,etc.-- now this does not mean you can use a plastic worm with scent or flavor on a bait hook either. People think this is OK but it's not) This should be changed. It should be fly only and if you have a child under the age of 12 they can use a single hook spinner. From the age of 13 and up should only fish with a fly in the DH waters.

The F&W management are doing studies now to see if fish can reproduce in the sections of DH waters now. If these section can maybe they will change the water to catch & release year round (lets hope and pray for that.)

There are a lot sections of streams and rivers here in North Carolina that are hatchery stock supported for the public to fish with any kind of bait. What you catch you can keep as long as you only keep 7 and the fish is in the size limit that is nothing under 7 inches long. These streams and rivers are cleaned out in a matter of months. There are people that will follow the stock trucks just to catch these fish to keep. I don't mean keep the limit either. People will catch there limit of 7 and take the fish to their cars or trucks and go right back and do it again until they clean the fish out.

I know we have to buy our fishing licsenes and that is fine but for a resident of this state it is $20 for the fishing licsenes. Just because you spend $20 to fish does not give you the right to keep hundreds or thousands of fish.

Jr