Thanks Thanks:  4
Likes Likes:  24

Default Ahead of the blizzard trip to a Utah river 2-15

Valentineís Day found me not home with my wife, but in Salt Lake City, traveling for work again. Since the holiday was already shot, I figured Iíd stick around an extra day and do some fishing before heading back to Texas. The scenery this time of the year did not disappoint.

So today I grabbed some coffee and headed out to walk a river Iíve fished many times before. Getting there, I began to gear up and realized I left my waders at home. No big deal. I usually try to stay out of the water as much as possible anyway. Guys that immediately wallow out up to their armpits and start flailing around always make me laugh. Experience tells me Iím likely to catch a lot of browns shallow, sunning, and chowing down on restless Baetis nymphs and midges. Did I mention the scenery?

I went to work with a sow bug and a midge to see whatís happening.

The first brown got off after about 30 seconds and I saw that the point was broken off my midge. Not sure if it happened before or after the fish got free, but I replaced it pronto. Next up was what I thought was a good sized brown, but it was this instead.

15Ē and he had a decorative piercing just behind his pectoral fin. I removed it from him and sent him on his way.

Back to work, I found myself looking around and listening to the magpies and kingfishers as much as I was casting.

Something about winter snowscapes always makes me want to stop and just exist in the moment for as long as possible. The fishing is really just a bonus.

I think this really is my natural habitat.

Snapping out of it long enough to cast, I kept pulling up willow branches loaded with tenants. In this case, lots of Brachycentrus Caddis.

I switched to a caddis nymph instead of a sow bug but kept the midge. Another brown got off and took the midge with it. Hey. At least I was hooking up! Then came another one of these.

Hours had passed and I was starting to feel the effects of standing stooped over with my arm held high for the better part of the day. My back was starting to feel that familiar ache that meant the end of the day was near. I made tracks to the lot and realized that thereís a whole lot I like about Utah.

I left two small midges for the next needy angler and took nothing.

Time to head home to my wild woman.
    As I drove back to Salt Lake, I realized all Iíd eaten today was some mini chocolate donuts at the gas station in the morning. Time to get some food and head to the hotel. I have a 6:20 am flight tomorrow.

So now Iím fed, about to repack and get set for the shuttle ride in the morning, and settle in to watch some boob tube before I call it a night. All in all not a bad Saturday.
    ďItís all in the reflexes.Ē

Blog Entries

Default Re: Ahead of the blizzard trip to a Utah river 2-15

Always a pleasure finding one of your photo essay's, looks like you had solitude as well as scenery. You didn't miss anything here, I had to come back from the cabin today and when I woke up it was -20 and a very cold ride home. 3 hours on the trails and it took another 3 to warm up once I got home. Keep fishen buddy

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

3. Likes Joey Bagels, Matt4.0, cpiercem liked this post

Default Ahead of the blizzard trip to a Utah river 2-15

Despite not getting a trout to net, the trip was more than worth it. Itís actually been almost 4 years since I caught a whitefish. Theyíre great fun in their own way and still unique enough to me that itís a novel experience every time I land one.
    Edited to add I forgot to mention the afternoon midge hatch on a quiet pool. A couple of trout were very sporadically rising and ignored my Griffiths gnat and a serendipity. Just for a laugh I tried swinging a #10 muddler minnow and lo and behold, two different fish swiped at it, but didnít connect. I saw the swirls though and that was pretty damned fun. If I had another day to fish (Iím at the airport now waiting to board), Iíd maybe try dead drifting a pale woolly bugger or weighted muddler to see what happens. Talking to a couple of guys in the lot at the end of the day it sounds like the trout werenít cooperating much for anybody. Such is fishing life!
    Last edited by Joey Bagels; 02-16-2020 at 06:22 AM.

Blog Entries

Thanks for another well done trip report Joey!

Denny

6. Thanks Joey Bagels thanked for this post

Great trip report, Joe... Lovely scenery, great fishing and an awesome state to visit.
    Wallace

8. Thanks Joey Bagels thanked for this post
    Blog Entries

Another great report with some outstanding photos, thanks for sharing!
    Larry

10. Likes Joey Bagels liked this post

Iíll need to hit my local bass and sunfish pond again soon and take the float tube for a spin. Been too long. Iíll always be a Rocky Mountains guy at heart, but the local fish fauna on the gulf coast is pretty damned awesome in their own right. Hopefully Iíll have some more frequent reports in the coming months.

12. Likes mcnerney, Matt4.0, cpiercem liked this post

Nice photos! I love me some white fish. Most people would rather catch trout but the white fish have more horsepower per lb. That river has been great to me this season as well. Last winter the flows were too low to fish most of the winter.

14. Thanks Joey Bagels thanked for this post
    Likes cpiercem liked this post