Good Start To The New Year...

HuronRiverDan

Reaction score
My friend Gary called me Monday afternoon and asked if I was interested in hitting Elk Creek in PA. After thinking about it for a great deal of time; I think it was about a half second, I said, "When are we leaving?" We left Gary's house after our other buddy Jim got off work and made the drive over.

When we got geared up it was about 35 degrees, the water had that perfect green tint; and there was no one in site as we headed to the water.

There were'nt a lot of fish, but enough to keep three happy steelheaders entertained...

This was the first one I landed...:)

The weather was an unexpected treat; two weeks ago everything was locked up tight and I was thinking the only fishing I'd be doing was through the ice. Later in the day the wind started picking up, and we started to get some snow, but overall it was a great day.

One of my favorite places on Elk Creek...

The weather reports aren't looking good, I think we'll be locked back up soon; glad we were able to get a good day in...

Dan

ddombos2

Reaction score
It looks like a very adequate winter fix. Let's hope we get a few thaws between now and march to keep me from going nuts.

Tracker12

Reaction score
Dan
How was the fishing overall? I am thinking of making another trip up if the creeks are open. Fish numbers have been low all year for the most part. I was hoping with the later smows and rain we had that those would increase.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Nice one Dan,

I always enjoy seeing pictures of places I used to fish at down your way. On Elk Creek I will trade low numbers of fish for low numbers of fishermen and day :D

Reaction score
Good for you Dan!
It's 6 days into the new year and I have yet to see water.
I was going to go Weds, with one of the Forum members that is in town this week but I have an "Old War" wound acting up,and have been sidelined for the past 5 days..I'm living vicariously threw your reports and photo's..
Thanks keep them coming

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
We have had a warming spell here with highs in the 40* range for 3 days. Unfortunately past experience has taught me that there is too much ice even around open water for me to grab a fly rod...................