Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Good Books???

Default Any Good Books???

I am looking for book recommendations. I am looking for two different kinds of books.

First, I'm looking for something that goes into trout biology/life-cycle kind of thing. I would love something written for the average person, but considering I'm looking for something of depth, I'll work my way through a science laden read.

Second, I am looking for more books on techniques, skills, reading water, etc but not for the beginner. I feel like most books I pick up are for the complete novice. Here I would prefer something more technical, as I want to become better faster, but I just started reading "Trout Bum" and cant put it down. So I guess I'm asking for books that you feel made you a better fisherman.

I am still new at the trout game and would really appreciate any recommendations, thanks.
    “Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.”
    http://theladygreyflyfishing.blogspot.com/

Blog Entries

Default Re: Any Good Books???

Trout and Salmon of North America by Dr. Robert Behnke and Joe Tomelleri (illustrator). Scientific, beautiful, and informative. milt.

3. Default Re: Any Good Books???

Don't forget your bugs!

Check out "Fish food" by Ralph Cutter.

The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.” --- Horace Kephart

"What the Trout Said" by Datus Proper.

6. Default Re: Any Good Books???

this book is great for learning hatches and what depth to fish your flies, I'd recommend reading it several times, theres lots of stuff in it.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Hatches-Introductory-Guide-Effective/dp/0811731820"]Amazon.com: Handbook Of Hatches: Introductory Guide to the Foods Trout Eat & the Most Effective Flies to Match Them (9780811731829): Dave Hughes: Books@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51pOenQhEdL.@@AMEPARAM@@51pOenQhEdL[/ame]

I'd also recommend "On the trout stream with Joe Humphries", it's a great book for fishing tactics and reading water.
    Joe Humphreys's Fly Fishing

Blog Entries

Here is a list of all the public domain books on Fly Fishing on Google Books. I'm sure that there are a few that cover what you need.

Search results for “fly fishing” - Google eBookstore
    Anthony Laurence
    www.anthonylaurence.net
    Web Developement and Design
    FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog

Dave Whitlocks guide to aquatic trout foods is a great book.
    Check out thew best page on Facebook

https://www.facebook.com/groups/383970318419257/

Talking Re: Any Good Books???

Thank you everyone. I will be looking into probably all of them. Ant the google book stuff, awesome, just awesome.. Now i will be able to eat, sleep, and breath the stuff.. my lady friend might put a hex on you..
    “Do not tell fish stories where the people know you; but particularly, don’t tell them where they know the fish.”
    http://theladygreyflyfishing.blogspot.com/

10. Default Re: Any Good Books???

Quote Originally Posted by troutdoorsman View Post
    Dave Whitlocks guide to aquatic trout foods is a great book.
    +1 on that.

And anything by Tom Rossenbaur(SP) he wrote "Prospecting For Trout" and another about reading the rivers. I love both of them.

Lefty Krehs 'Presenting the Fly' and 'Advanced Flyfishing Techniques' is great too

I love Trout Bum. I have read all of his books. I'm reading "Fools Paradise" now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast