Fishing Flaming Gorge Late May

yatahey

Reaction score
DOK and I are thinking of coming up for a few days fishing.
Will the runoff likely be raging? How are the crowds around Memorial Day?
Thanks in advance
Yat

Last edited by a moderator:

mojo

Reaction score
If your fishing the reservior, you don't have to worry about runnoft (Oh Brother, Where Art Thou) or crowds. If you're fishing the Green it all depends on the weather. Even there runnoff is not a problem.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Runoff is not a problem, but the water coming up twice daily for peak power production could be, and you don't want to get stuck on the other side of the river looking for a ride back across.
As far as the masses of people, once the warmer weather starts you always compete with the crowds. One way to beat the crowds is to fish below Little Hole as 99% head upstream instead. If at all possible I would consider mid-April instead, the hatches can be heavy and the crowds are much smaller.

Are you planning to wade fish or float?

Last edited:

yatahey

Reaction score
Thanx Fysh
This is in the early planning stage. DOK's wife is going to Jersey for a wedding so he gets to come out and play, so the dates are kinda set with the max # of days being May 26 - June 1.
Not sure on wade or float yet. It's still up in the air as to our route to FG and whether there will be other delays along the way to explore other water.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yat: Last year we floated the Green River below Flaming Gorge the weekend of May 21-23. The water was still at the winter flow of 850 CFS and we had a great time. The forecast was for around 50 degrees and of course it snowed on us. We went over there about the same time the previous year and the same thing happened, so bring cold wx gear regardless of what the forecast says. We had some really great fishing catching mostly 14-18" cutbows, cutthroats and rainbows with a few browns thrown in. The folks at Trout Creek Flies is where I get my info on current conditions and usually buy a few flies. Green River Fly fishing Flaming Gorge, Utah, Utah flyfishing Guides, Utah Fly fishing Guides, Trout Creek Flies - Your Complete Green River Guide Service - Rocky Mountain Fly Fishing, Emmett Heath, Fishing I noticed last year they weren't keeping the web site up to date like they did when Denny was alive, so you might call them later in the spring to see what is up.
The week following our trip they were planning on raising the water level to 3,000 CFS to flush it out. On our trip there was lots of floating algae in the water and we lost a number of fish due to it. You would be fighting a fish and feel a big chunk of algae hit the line, the fish would do a head shake and be gone. The big issue with your timing is when they will open the flood gates. The plan last year was to raise the water to 3,000 CFS for the flush and then bring it back down to the 2,000 CFS summer level, but instead, due to the heavy mositure in the mountains, the water level peaked at 6,600 cfs and didn't return to the 2,000 CFS level for a couple weeks. As you know we again are having a great water year so the question you will need to ask Trout Creek Flies is when do they expect to raise the water for the flush. When we hired a guide later in the summer to show us Red Creek Rapids on the B section, he told me the fishing was still good even at the high flows, but I'm guessing that the walking path from the dam to Little Hole was under water. Here is the trip report from last year: http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/rocky-mountain-range/13852-wy-fly-fishing.html

Larry

Reaction score
It is over memorial day weekend the thursday prior to the tuesday past both of those days probaly travel days..
Is the Green like the Juan in its relase increase's The Juan usually waits untill after the holliday weekend to jack with the flows..
I saw a little dam/diversion that looks promising as well in wyo.dont want to say the name here.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Dok, Yat,
I hate to tell you guys this but I wouldn't go on Memorial Day Weekend, the river is going to be very busy with fishermen, hikers, mtn bikers going up and down the trails and a floatilla of rafts and drift boats. This is the beginning of the "Bikini Hatch"!!:clap:

Last edited:

Reaction score
Dok, Yat,
I hate to tell you guys this but I wouldn't go on Memorial Day Weekend, the river is going to be very busy with fisherman, hikers, mtn bikers going up and down the trails and a floatilla of rafts and drift boats. This is the beginning of the "Bikini Hatch"!!:clap:
This is the kind of information I was looking for when I suggested to Yat we put a thread up.Thanks, mind if I send you a PM on an alternate location?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Sure, but I don't know if I'll have any good info for you guys. When it comes to holiday weekends we pretty much stay home except for the 4th of July.:D

This entire region (Uinta Mts and Flaming Gorge) is a hotspot during the holiday weekends, actually it's a busy area anyway during the Summer & Fall.
Since you guys like to hike in to remote lakes and streams, that could be another option for you in the Uinta's, it would get you away from most of the other folks.

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Steve: Like Fysh said earlier, 99% of the crowds are going to be on the "A" Section. You could either hike into the "B" section and camp at one of the sites along the river or if you have access to pontoon boats or a drift boat float the "B" Section. If you didn't feel comfortable floating down Red Creek Rapids, you have the option in a pontoon to stop at the top and portaging down the gravel bar on the left side. The rapid is a two staged affair and the gravel bar would get you down the hairy portion of the rapid, after that it levels out and isn't too bad. The nice thing about the "B" section is that it consists of mostly Brown trout and of course like Fysh said it isn't nearly as crowded. You can reserve some of the campsites on the "B" section on-line, the other sites are reserved on a board at the Little Hole boat launch site. Last summer when we floated the "B" Section on Saturday (in early Sept), as we floated past the campsites they were all empty except two. The next day on Sunday when we floated by they were all full except for the very last one, but even at that the river didn't seem crowded at all. We maybe saw 10 boats the whole day. The issue with the "A" section is the tuber hatch. The rafting companies bring kids over by the bus loads. Last year when we floated the "A" Section as we were driving down to the boat ramp by the dam it was snowing and there was two big Greyhound buses unloading teenagers all dressed in T-Shirts and shorts getting ready for a white water float. We got on the water ahead of them but about a mile down here they came, five big rubber rafts loaded to the gills with kids rowing to beat the band. We just pulled over and let them pass. That had to be one cold ride.

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Yeah that dosent sound like fun..camp huh hummm so where does one rent a boat there? or does one rent a boat?
Steve: I'm sure it was, maybe that is why they rowed past us so quickly!:D
You can rent pontoon boats, fly fishing rafts with rowing frames or drift boats from Trout Creek Flies and from Flaming Gorge Lodge:
New Page 2
If you decide to rent a boat, I'd recommend you study these descriptions of the rapids on the "A" section before you decide to row it yourself and I would recommend having some rowing experience also. The rapids are all class I and II but they loose boats on that river every year. I'm guessing it is due to inattention or just not knowing how to avoid rocks. At the winter flow of 850 CFS there will be a lot of pillow rocks just peaking out of the surface, but are easy to avoid if you are vigilent. Take the Bridge rapid on far right, you will see a tongue of water, just line up on it and you will be fine. The rapid that always gets my attention is Mother-in-Law and there is a sign telling you that you are approaching. It starts out with a left hand turn and then sharply turns to the right with a shear rock wall on the far left side and a big rock at the bottom. I like to start this one on the right side, then as the river turns back to the right be sure to have the bow pointed at the wall so you can back peddle away from it while watching down river for the big rock. The description of the rest of the rapids sound more intimidating than they really are. The key is to pay attention and setup early. I've only rowed the "A" section at the winter flow of 850 CFS, at higher flows most of the pillow rocks will not be an issue so it should be easier to row, with the exception of the flows being a bit faster making the early setup more critical, but I did talk to a gal in a pontoon boat last year and she indicated floating the "A" section at the lower flows was actually more difficult (take that for what it is worth).
Rapids of the Green
Here are some photos of the rapids and a few boat mishaps:
Viewing Rapids
I'd offer to bring my boat over and row you two down the river, but with my wife's condition I just can't commit to something like that and then have to bail out on you guys at the last minute if she takes a turn for the worse.
Here is the link to the Flaming Gorge Lodge site, they also rent boats and that is where we stay when not camping. If you desire a motel room you better reserve one early.
Rafting and Shuttle Services at Flaming Gorge Resort

Larry

Reaction score
Thanks Larry your too kind!
As the time draws near I will let you know of the destination and if your inclined I'm sure Bob and I would love some company. That goes for you too fyshstykr
Simply AWESOME! The people on this Forum!:thumbsup:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Larry your too kind!
As the time draws near I will let you know of the destination and if your inclined I'm sure Bob and I would love some company. That goes for you too fyshstykr
Simply AWESOME! The people on this Forum!:thumbsup:
Steve: Your welcome, sounds good!

Larry

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Thanks Larry, those are some great shots...and big fish.
Yat: Your welcome! I have never landed pigs like those on the Green, but then I have never been over there in the winter either, but at least you know they are there.

Larry

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
If you are going river fishing on that weekend you will have crowds everywhere...the thing about the Great Green is the volume of fish and their insane continual feeding. You can slap the water over a fish and a lotof times they dont even swim away.

The A section has just about as many fish per mile as any river in the country.

I mostly float tube it and it allows you to get to spots and get out and head hunt or fish runs...Start at the boat ramp at daylight and move down the river as the flotilla approaches.

Take out for a while then hike in late late afternoon and fish till dark..You can always find good water...But regardless those fish eat ALL THE TIME...so even if an angler just moved out with the right fly and good technique you can roast em.