The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Cost of Traveling To.......... This forum is intended to build a data base of Best Deals, Tricks of Travel, Trip Prep, Where to Stay and Why, Plan B, Best Eateries and Ones to Avoid, Righteous Fly Shops, etc

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  184
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 07-18-2016, 06:12 PM

hairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond reputehairwing530 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Gates Au Sable Lodge, Grayling, Michigan...

I agree with you, Chris, in that the AuSable River does tend to fish better when the shadows are gently spilling out across the currents, especially at this time of year on the Mainstream, and especially at twilight. Right now, we're in the midst of the infamous "aluminus flotillus" hatches most days, and they make for some poor daytime fishing.

There is some good daylight angling to be had, however, much of it being on the remote stretches of both the North Branch-- easier wading, good brook trout haunts --and the South Branch-- tough wading, but the trout are well worth the effort. If you're willing to use up a little boot rubber, there are places that will allow you both the privacy you seek, as well as some outstanding fish. As mentioned, I've been enamored with this river system since I was an 8-year old kid, and there still are stretches that I haven't fished/explored quite yet. But, rest assured, I will...

Come Spring of 2017, get in touch with me and I'll put you into some "off the map" places on the river that I think you'll enjoy. Until then, wade safe in whatever waters you choose to let wrap themselves around your waders, Chris...

Jerry, aka hairwing530

Last edited by hairwing530; 07-19-2016 at 04:57 AM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 7 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 07-30-2016, 11:11 AM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

An update has been added to the lead post to note 2016 changes and additions.

B.E.F.

-To conserve and protect our sporting outdoor heritage
----through responsible wildlife and natural resource
---------stewardship, and educated ethical use.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes lanyard, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 07-30-2016, 09:00 PM

lanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the rough

Will be there in two weeks...
Likes GrtLksMarlin, hairwing530, willyf liked this post
Old 02-27-2017, 01:13 AM

vanwagw will become famous soon enoughvanwagw will become famous soon enough

Thanks for the write up. If you're looking for a guide at Gates, book with Steve Pels. I have known him for awhile and he's great. Top notch person and guide!
Likes hairwing530, teardrop liked this post
Old 04-28-2017, 05:09 AM

Vulpes is a jewel in the roughVulpes is a jewel in the roughVulpes is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwagw View Post
Thanks for the write up. If you're looking for a guide at Gates, book with Steve Pels. I have known him for awhile and he's great. Top notch person and guide!
I hope so, I just booked a trip with Steve on the 14th of may. I will let you know if it's worth it going with him or not.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes hairwing530 liked this post
Old 07-28-2017, 06:41 AM

GrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant futureGrtLksMarlin has a brilliant future

It looks like the circus (the wife and two dogs), and I are looking at possibly staying at Gates in early August as we pass through the area to the U.P.. I'll post any changes I note upon my return.

B.E.F.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes burk48237, lanyard, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:15 AM

An update has been added to the lead post to note 2017 changes and additions.

B.E.F.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes lanyard, ejsell, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-11-2017, 10:36 AM

lanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the roughlanyard is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrtLksMarlin View Post
An update has been added to the lead post to note 2017 changes and additions.

B.E.F.
Great write up...

Last edited by lanyard; 09-11-2017 at 12:03 PM.
Likes GrtLksMarlin, hairwing530 liked this post
Old 09-11-2017, 11:52 AM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
GLM, I too lost a long post yesterday full of "wisdom" just before I was ready to post. The culprit was an aggressive US Open banner ad I think. I know that is how the Forum makes money but the irrelevant non targeted ads are over the top annoying...and I never click on any of them anyway! This is the only site I have these issues with...but I love our Forum, what can I say.
Guys,

There is an application called "UBLOCK ORIGIN"

https://www.ublock.org/

It's purpose is to block all the pop-up advertisements.. It is available for most browsers (Chrome, Firefox, etc..) I NEVER see a pop add on this site... It is a web browser plug-in and it is safe to use (I do IT for a living - pays for fishing trips!!)
Likes GrtLksMarlin, hairwing530 liked this post