Cosmopolitan vacation with fishing

yikes

Reaction score
My wife and I usually take about one big vacation per year. We seem to alternate between "culture" type vacations (cities, museums, architecture) and "nature" type vacations (houseboating, camping or resort).
2018 may be a "culture" vacation, but I've still got the fishing itch, especially freshwater/trout. My wife has no interest in fishing.
Can you recommend a city/culture vacation that would have stream fishing really close nearby, perhaps in the city itself, for an afternoon of guided fishing?
It can be stateside, or international.

flyminded

Reaction score
London - fly fishing for trout in reservoirs or pike on the river Thames or if you want a whole day fishing trout south and west of London within about 90-120 mins.

ryc72

Reaction score
Depending on how far you are willing to travel from the city, what about New York? lots of places in pa, nj, ct, upstate ny, Long Island and nj shore if you want salt, that's all within 1.5 to 3 hours from Manhattan. My wife and daughters went to the nutcracker ballet today while I was daydreaming of my day trip to central pa on Monday.

el jefe

Reaction score
I'm not sure this would qualify as culture from the city angle, but how about Durango, CO? Using that as your base, within a few hours drive you have Mesa Verde, Chaco Canyon, and Bandelier, all world-renowned Indian ruins and cliff dwellings. Not far from Bandelier one also has Los Alamos, which ushered in the atomic age.

From a fishing angle, in or close to Durango is the Animas and San Juan, and many small streams within the area. Time of year is important based on run-off expectations.

Though there are many towns to use as your base in that area, Durango has the best restaurants, bars, attractions, and scenery, and offers a piece of the old West in its downtown hotels, all within walking distance of the aforementioned options. There is also the narrow-gauge railroad that runs between Durango and Silverton, for a spectacular day.

ravenbc

Reaction score
How about Vancouver, B.C. ? I've read there's good fishing real close to town.
Grew up in Vancouver, you would have lots of options for fishing as well it you spent 1 or 2 days visiting Victoria and the Island. PM me if you want more info.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

irmojoe

Reaction score
Charleston SC. Saltwater fly fishing for redfish etc. look up lowcountry fly fishing. Go to shop/guides in the area. Plenty of "culture " as well

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ejsell

Reaction score
Nemacolin Resort in Pennsylvania, in the middle of nowhere but the resort offers guided fly trips, five star restaurant, cigar and wine tastings, multimillion dollar art and car collection to tour and purchase from. Also 2 Frank Lloyd Wright homes are near the property including Fallingwater. The resort also has a world class spa, shooting lodge, a jeep 4x4 course and a private zoo. My wife's old boss held a Christmas party there a few years ago. Love to go back but I'd prefer to go for free again☺

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

scotty macfly

Reaction score
Edinburgh Scotland. You can fish while your wife travels through each side of the city, modern and historical. So much culture, old and new. Plus the fishing isn't bad either.

diamond rush

Reaction score
Washington DC/Shenandoah National Park.

Standing in the middle of downtown DC, you are less than 2 hours from a wonderful small stream brook trout fishery.

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
San Francisco Bay area! Full of cultural and great dining, pacific coast, red wood forests and the year round fishing 3 hrs away on the yuba river, lower sac river, truckee river.

yikes

Reaction score
San Francisco Bay area! Full of cultural and great dining, pacific coast, red wood forests and the year round fishing 3 hrs away on the yuba river, lower sac river, truckee river.
I agree that it's a great choice! But we've been there a lot, and so I'm looking for other options as well.

darkshadow

Reaction score
I agree that it's a great choice! But we've been there a lot, and so I'm looking for other options as well.
LA man!

You have the fancy restaurants in Silverlake, where the lady can do some amazing shopping, paying twice as much for used, sorry, 'vintage' clothing. You can pay $10 for an pint of an IPA that you can get elsewhere for $6, but that is the charm of the area. And of course, the mighty LA River. (Don't think the steelhead are running this time of year)

Then if you want a more urban experience, head east to Echo Park, where the better half can peruse the up and coming boutiques and then have dinner at the various vegan restaurants that should satiate the pickiest of eaters. Of course, you can always hit up Echo Park Lake and bump elbows with the most famous of trust fund babies who ask you why you're fishing and why you're hurting the fish.

A few miles east, you can hit up Lincoln Park Lake, where there are dozens of bass to tangle with, and you can also view the outdoor graffiti galleries that seem to pop up over night all over the area. Bansky would be proud.

After a few days of hitting these city stillwaters and the amazing LA River for the migrating trophy carp, eating sushi at Nobu (LA location, not the Malibu one) will finish up the cosmopolitan vacation you are seeking.

(PM me if you want a guided trip to Lincoln Park without getting jacked for your gear)

nimblybimbly85

Reaction score
LA man!

You have the fancy restaurants in Silverlake, where the lady can do some amazing shopping, paying twice as much for used, sorry, 'vintage' clothing. You can pay $10 for an pint of an IPA that you can get elsewhere for $6, but that is the charm of the area. And of course, the mighty LA River. (Don't think the steelhead are running this time of year)

Then if you want a more urban experience, head east to Echo Park, where the better half can peruse the up and coming boutiques and then have dinner at the various vegan restaurants that should satiate the pickiest of eaters. Of course, you can always hit up Echo Park Lake and bump elbows with the most famous of trust fund babies who ask you why you're fishing and why you're hurting the fish.

A few miles east, you can hit up Lincoln Park Lake, where there are dozens of bass to tangle with, and you can also view the outdoor graffiti galleries that seem to pop up over night all over the area. Bansky would be proud.

After a few days of hitting these city stillwaters and the amazing LA River for the migrating trophy carp, eating sushi at Nobu (LA location, not the Malibu one) will finish up the cosmopolitan vacation you are seeking.

(PM me if you want a guided trip to Lincoln Park without getting jacked for your gear)

You must be a Dodgers fan, they are the friendliest!

darkshadow

Reaction score
You must be a Dodgers fan, they are the friendliest!
Ouch.

Forgot the Internet doesn't have a /facetious tag any longer.

No worries, Yikes and I share the fact that SoCal has nowhere to fly fish seriously. The post was all made in jest.

Speaking of jest, you must be a Cardinals fan.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Good quest, I like it! US cities ... it's tough depending on the amount of cultural experiences to satisfy the requirement. It sounds like places like Durango aren't quite going to cut it. Denver? Not enough.

SF was a good one, what about Seattle or Portland? I'm not sure how far you have to go for fishing, but there is plenty to do in each city. I prefer Seattle. The last time I was in Portland just getting out of the city was a nightmare.

What about Austin? The west Texas hill country is quite beautiful, there's got to be some good bass fishing around somewhere, maybe even right in town.

Boise would put you in a big(ish) city with very good trout fishing nearby.

But if Europe was an option, I'd go that route for certain. Anywhere you go the cultural experiences will be great just by nature of being in a foreign country. And same goes for the fishing, any little stream to explore with wild trout will be super fun. European trout!

ravenbc

Reaction score
Come to Canada 35% off sale

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk