The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Cost of Traveling To.......... This forum is intended to build a data base of Best Deals, Tricks of Travel, Trip Prep, Where to Stay and Why, Plan B, Best Eateries and Ones to Avoid, Righteous Fly Shops, etc

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 05-09-2017, 09:02 PM

ryc72 is on a distinguished road
Default July 29 and 30...

got the hall pass from the wife to go fishing the weekend of July 29 and 30. My limitations...I live in NYC and I have to work Friday and Monday and I want to get two full days of fishing in. as of now leaning towards going to the charleston area to try my hand at catching redfish on a fly (have only caught them using spin tackle to this point). Ideally I'd rather be in a cooler climate. Was thinking Colorado but tough to get two full days of fishing in without taking a day off from work or risk missing a flight. Anything requiring a plane probably limits me to the east coast but I'm open to all ideas. Any other suggestions or ideas??? Thanks in advance!
Old 05-10-2017, 08:09 AM

james w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant futurejames w 3 3 has a brilliant future
Default Re: July 29 and 30...

Nowhere requiring air travel is a VERY wise decision. They've made the logistics impossible for a quick trip.
Likes jayr liked this post
Old 05-10-2017, 09:35 AM

jayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant futurejayr has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by james w 3 3 View Post
Nowhere requiring air travel is a VERY wise decision. They've made the logistics impossible for a quick trip.
I agree.

Throw in the other variables such as weather, mechanical, cancelled flights, getting bumped, lost or damaged bags/rods/etc.........
Old 05-10-2017, 12:14 PM

flyminded has much to be proud offlyminded has much to be proud offlyminded has much to be proud offlyminded has much to be proud offlyminded has much to be proud offlyminded has much to be proud offlyminded has much to be proud offlyminded has much to be proud of

I'd check the tides in Charleston before I headed for a quick trip.
Old 05-10-2017, 12:28 PM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough

You're only about 5 hrs from Central PA / State College area.. There are so many streams there to fish - large and small.. I'm headed there the beginning of June. I stay at The Feathered Hook in Coburn with Jonas.

Another great trip would be Western MD - Savage River area.. The Savage is a tailwater and there a bunch of brookie streams... probably about 7 hr drive maybe? Mike at Savage River Outfitters has cabins right on the Savage. Actually - there is a good possibility I will be Mike's place that weekend fishing :-)

Welcome to The Feathered Hook: a Bed & Breakfast and Fly Shop for Fly Fishing Central Pennsylvania's Trout Streams

Home - Savage River Outfitters

Whenever I have 2 days I can get away and fish I also hire a guide - not because I cannot catch them on my own but I want to maximize my limited time fishing...
Old 05-10-2017, 11:16 PM

Central pa is a consideration. How is the fishing in late July though? I've always wanted to fish penns. The water doesn't get too warm though?
Old 05-11-2017, 05:28 PM

smp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the roughsmp005 is a jewel in the rough

Of course it always depends on rainfall and weather but generally Penns fishes good in late July.. some of the smaller spring fed tribs stay cool as well..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Old 05-15-2017, 11:31 PM

only adipose is a name known to allonly adipose is a name known to allonly adipose is a name known to allonly adipose is a name known to allonly adipose is a name known to allonly adipose is a name known to all

NYC on July 29th, I bet you could find some bluefishing pretty close to home!
Old 05-16-2017, 10:36 AM

trying my luck at bluefish/stripers locally is actually the front runner. im just looking to see what alternatives are available since i have the hall pass to get out of dodge from the boss.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes only adipose liked this post