The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

The Cost of Traveling To.......... This forum is intended to build a data base of Best Deals, Tricks of Travel, Trip Prep, Where to Stay and Why, Plan B, Best Eateries and Ones to Avoid, Righteous Fly Shops, etc

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  3
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 06-28-2017, 08:33 AM

roadglideguy is on a distinguished road
Default TURKS CAICOs

Bring your wallet...a full day guide in 1 whaler like 18 ft boat with a tower on back and front was 900 US plus gratuities and tax. I have been all thru Caribbean and it is by far the most expensive. Also the most beautiful beaches and flats! A crappy meal for 4 will cost you two hundred with no alcohol. We used trip advisor "Cheap Eats" ...great site. Found amazing food reasonable. Canadians with the exchange are really punished!
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old 06-28-2017, 09:09 AM

zjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: TURKS CAICOs

Spent a week diving Turks and Caicos a couple years ago. Stayed in Grand Turk on the north end of the island away from the port, and it was considerably cheaper than other parts of the island. Some of the best wall diving I have done.
Likes Ard liked this post
Old 06-28-2017, 04:00 PM

gpwhitejr will become famous soon enough

You raise great memories. We took our kids to T&C when they were young and had a wonderful time. It was the only time we have ever stayed at an all-inclusive resort (Beaches), and it was worth it (my son was in that teen-age phase during which, 10 minutes after every meal, he was asking "can we get food?" We probably saved the equivalent of a plane ticket on fruit smoothies alone). It wasn't gourmet food, but we aren't gourmets (though the seafood wasn't bad). We did some deep sea fishing but no fly fishing. I regret that we didn't dive, I have heard that the wall diving is spectacular.
Old 06-28-2017, 06:47 PM

duker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to all

My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in the TCI back in February. Had a great time, and yeah, it was expensive but not prohibitively so. We rented a condo (Aquamarine Beach Houses; highly recommended) and bought groceries at the IGA which was a 10 minute walk away. Great restaurants, some of the nicest beaches I've seen anywhere, and the people are lovely.

That said, the fishing was. . .not great. I got some good tips and places to fish from Rod Hamilton's "DIY Bonefishing" as well as the guy we rented our car from (Scooter Bob, also highly recommended) but while the flats were beautiful to wade they were remarkably free of bonefish. I found a couple one afternoon and cast to them repeatedly, but they literally turned their noses up at each of the 6 flies I tossed at them. Apparently if you hire a guide they'll take you to flats near Middle Caicos (we were staying on Provo) which has somewhat better fishing, but I wasn't prepared to spend almost a grand (US$) for a day.

Scott
Old 06-28-2017, 08:32 PM

Location: Farmington, ill. ( stop by for a cold beer on your way thru)
k_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant futurek_e_v has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjory View Post
Spent a week diving Turks and Caicos a couple years ago. Stayed in Grand Turk on the north end of the island away from the port, and it was considerably cheaper than other parts of the island. Some of the best wall diving I have done.
Now i have to look up what wall diving is. Off to Google
Likes zjory liked this post
Old 06-28-2017, 11:01 PM

zjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to beholdzjory is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by k_e_v View Post
Now i have to look up what wall diving is. Off to Google

Just what it sounds. Diving along a big wall. The west side of Grand Turk averages something like 30-60 feet of depth dropping pretty straight off to something like 7,000 feet. Puts things in perspective to look down at an abyss like that.
Old 06-29-2017, 12:03 AM

roadglideguy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker View Post
My wife and I spent a couple of weeks in the TCI back in February. Had a great time, and yeah, it was expensive but not prohibitively so. We rented a condo (Aquamarine Beach Houses; highly recommended) and bought groceries at the IGA which was a 10 minute walk away. Great restaurants, some of the nicest beaches I've seen anywhere, and the people are lovely.

That said, the fishing was. . .not great. I got some good tips and places to fish from Rod Hamilton's "DIY Bonefishing" as well as the guy we rented our car from (Scooter Bob, also highly recommended) but while the flats were beautiful to wade they were remarkably free of bonefish. I found a couple one afternoon and cast to them repeatedly, but they literally turned their noses up at each of the 6 flies I tossed at them. Apparently if you hire a guide they'll take you to flats near Middle Caicos (we were staying on Provo) which has somewhat better fishing, but I wasn't prepared to spend almost a grand (US$) for a day.

Scott
I caught about 8 bone fish the biggest was 8 and a bit pounds. Those suckers stripped my line off so fast it was amazing. Never seen my backing that quick, Also never heard my reel scream like that...something to be said for beefy drag systems. I learned not to get your thumb in front of the reel handle. The bruise healed after about 5 days!

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

I am thinking of going to Cuba to give it a try. Not nearly as commercial or inflated yet...sorry to my American neighbors I guess thats a ways down the road!
Old 06-29-2017, 07:47 PM

duker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to allduker is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadglideguy View Post
I caught about 8 bone fish the biggest was 8 and a bit pounds. Those suckers stripped my line off so fast it was amazing. Never seen my backing that quick, Also never heard my reel scream like that...something to be said for beefy drag systems. I learned not to get your thumb in front of the reel handle. The bruise healed after about 5 days!

---------- Post added at 12:03 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:00 AM ----------

I am thinking of going to Cuba to give it a try. Not nearly as commercial or inflated yet...sorry to my American neighbors I guess thats a ways down the road!
Man, 8 lbs. is a big bone. The two I saw were 4-ish maybe. Where were you fishing? And who did you use for a guide?

I'm also thinking about Cuba. My wife and I were there 14 years ago but now I want to go back with a rod.

Scott