1. WATERPROOF flashlight
    2. whistle
    3.first aid kit
    4. knife/tool combo
    5.bungee cords
    6. Pfd
    7. para cord
    8. head lamp.
    8. SPOT locator. I was a SPOT customer before i became a dealer it operaties via satillite. it has three ways to communicate. A. email your location to just let someone know where you are and track your trip. B. need help button which lets your contact know to come get you and you need help. C. all the bells and whistles go off and search and rescue are on thier way to your location. The thing is waterproof and floats.

Im amazed when I see a person spend $700 on a fly rod, $350 on reel, $400 for waders and then when it comes to safety throw in a cheap $3 flashlight and a couple of band-aids

Default Re: Important stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by driftaway View Post
    Im amazed when I see a person spend $700 on a fly rod, $350 on reel, $400 for waders and then when it comes to safety throw in a cheap $3 flashlight and a couple of band-aids
    Yea Buddy!

Blog Entries

This has been a good thread Fysh,

After reading some of the lists supplied I realized I left a lot of things unmentioned. Because of the duration of the trips I take there are always extra cloths in a dry bag and I also carry an MSR Wisperlight stove, coffee pot, and some Mountain House quick meals. I have already needed the dry cloths a few times and if the boat quits 80 miles from the road system having a tent on board is a nice touch.

I guess it all comes down to what kind of boating you are doing. Good thread,

Ard

Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard
    Ard's Forum blog, Alaska Outdoors

Blog Entries

Wet wipes. milt.

Blog Entries

Ard

Most of my trips a simple day trips. But I do pack some extra clothes. Never know when somebody might miss step and take a bath. Our waters are pretty cold most the time. Also our weather can turn quickly here in the mountains. It pays to be prepared!!
    Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Exclamation Re: Important stuff!

"SPOT locater. I was a SPOT customer before..."

A new one on me ... I think. Have a link we all could take a peek at?

fae
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

Blog Entries

A new addition to my gear last year was a manuel bilge pump. Make bailing real simple and fast!!

Davo
    My worst day on the water beats my best day anywhere else hands down!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures

Quote Originally Posted by Davo View Post

Most of my trips a simple day trips. But I do pack some extra clothes. Never know when somebody might miss step and take a bath. Our waters are pretty cold most the time. Also our weather can turn quickly here in the mountains. It pays to be prepared!!
    Same for me

9. Default Re: Important stuff!

Quote Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
    "SPOT locater. I was a SPOT customer before..."

A new one on me ... I think. Have a link we all could take a peek at?

fae
    Just click on my banner ad on this forum. It will take you to the link.
    Thanks
    Tom
    Drift Away Outfitters.

I like to make sure I have my fishing gear
    No but really to me it seems relative to the river section floated, many rivers I float if the second to worst thing happened to me (that is everything other than me floating to the bottom) I could either walk out or hitch a ride.

Have yet to float something remote enough to feel I would be spending much time there. Maybe that's an error on my part but I have limited options in the area.

Anyway to give you an idea of a few of the things I like to always make sure I have or have extra of in the boat: many of which have already been mentioned.

Wag bags! disappointing I haven't heard that one yet, but doesn't surprise me
    Knife(close by)
    extra oar (of course)
    extra oar lock(s)
    extra plug(s)
    extra hat
    extra glasses
    whistle
    sun screen
    bud dope
    first aid kit
    duct tape
    garbage bags
    Rope/carabiners
    throw bag
    binoculars
    cameras
    gloves
    rain jacket
    boat blanket
    a couple head lamps
    permits (if needed)
    bailing bucket
    PDF'S(AND WEAR THEM)
    floatation device
    Did I say Wag bag!

And then of course I always have a cooler with food and drinks/water along with a dry bag of extra clothing.

Wow never really put thought to all the stuff I keep in the boat, most of its just always there in case I need it! Guaranteed that's not everything and for the most part it's a lot of little stuff so it just stays put.

In one if not the only books on drift boats (as far as I know of or own) has a pretty decent checklist for all sorts of things needed depending on the occasion, the book in general is worth checking out.float plan, passenger safety, pretrip etc.

Now if Its a multiple day trip you can only imagine how the list would grow.
    One thing is for sure I'm not tying my self to anything. Losing a boat would be one thing but a life well that's another.

I think that it is often overlooked or blown off that people die on class 1 rivers every year. It doesn't have to be big water to put you in your place and even with experience the more you do it the more likely the time will come when you are up against a rock or pulling in water, it's just bound to happen.

In general its just good to know what your going to do when that something does happen?

Good things to be thinking about as I plan on floating this next weekend! Thanks for the reminder I better check those battery's in the flashlights before I head out....
    Sorry for rambling on!
    May be more info then ya all needed and sometimes I think I should have a breathalyzer on my computer but hey that's my 2cents.
    Peace!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast