Important stuff!

fyshstykr

Reaction score
When Driftboating.....besides PFD's, an extra oar, first aid kit, knife, and a baling bucket. What else do feel is a necessity?

MoscaPescador

Reaction score
A high quality water filter - I use a Katadyn (PUR) Hiker. A MSR Miniworks is good, too.
Water purification tablets - These have a shelf life, so they need to be replaced periodically.
Something to start a fire - Waterproof matches, lighter, different types of fire starters.
If you have inflatable PFDs, spare CO2 cartridges are recommended.
Flashlight, headlamp.
Toilet paper - Hey nature calls!
Duct tape - It does wonders.

MP

Edit - This is a good thread.

Last edited:

Davo

Reaction score
Rain gear, good first aid kit, flashlight, manual bilge pump, extra coil of rope(50ft)

Almost forgot, enough bloody mary fixins for seconds!! ;)

kevthebassman

Reaction score
I don't know what kind of water you're fishing, or how angry a river it is, how remote you will be from help, or what the temperature is going to be like there, but if I were going to be fishing on a hairy river, way far out in the boondocks, here's how I would do it:

I would tie myself off with paracord and a carabiner to a floating dry bag. Tied off to it so that if the boat goes over, it's going to be with me, but use the carabiner and light paracord so that if you go in the drink and the bag becomes waterlogged or gets caught, you will be able to get shed of it to prevent drowning. A floating bag so that you can use it as additional floatation if you go in for an unplanned swim.

In that bag, I would have an extra set of warm wool clothing, a quality knife, 50' of paracord, a shelter half of some sort (this can be as simple as a plastic painter's drop cloth, an 8X12 sheet of the stuff rolls up as small as a woman's wallet. Shower curtains also work well), dry tinder and fire starting materials, perhaps one of those GPS distress signals, signal mirror, whistle, one of those emergency mylar blankets, first aid kit, any prescription medications you cannot go long without (insulin for a diabetic, heart medicine, etc.) some method for making water potable, some high calorie food such as protein bars.... that's all I can really think of for the moment. That very kit, sans waterproof drybag, resides in my vehicle, it's about the size of a carry-on bag for an airplane.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Hi Kevin, Not really for a specific trip or time of year, just curious to see the general stuff others keep in their boat for a trip down the river. However the weather or type of trip will certainly dictate a change in thought pattern and add a thing or seven to the list.

Some good info folks, keep it coming.:)
I'd add a couple extra drain plugs, and a spare oar lock.
I've lost an oar lock before, and fortunately had duct tape and a bungi cord available to adapt to the situation.

Last edited:

nerka

Reaction score
A floatplan and someone at home who knows it as well.
The appropriate licenses and registration depending on local laws and regs.
An anchor with its own line is always good.

Other gear I try to keep compartmentalized by purpose. I run dry bags and totes nearly exclusively. In a tote I keep all of the survival stuff. First aid kit, gps, and other goodies applicable to the size of boat you are running. Then a cooler for food. Then whatever tackle/gear stowage you have.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
All very good ideas (especially the whistle!). But one thing I always carried was 200' of 5/8th inch Dacron** rope and a single AND double 'block and tackle.' Your (someone else's) boat gets really 'stuck' you'll never pull it out by hand. The combined power of a two pulley set up is amazing.

Edit: ** Nylon rope is stronger (about 20% -25% for a given diameter), but UV will degrade same. Dacron really doesn't care.

Fred

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi fysh,

Besides what to carry on the boat every person should have on their person a knife, as much parachute cord as they are comfortable carrying and a fire starter. This is extremely important on wild water. If someone goes over board, or the boat is swamped, each person can take care of their self. Good chance you will be separated from your boat mates.

I like to carry a magnesium fire starter. You don't have to worry about it getting wet. It is light and works well.

Frank

Magnesium Fire Starter, Doan is the best

driftaway

Reaction score
at this point in my life i carry with me a SPOT locator. It costs about $100 a year but If I were to need an ambulance in a hurry it is cheap compared to what the outcome might be.

Frank Whiton

Most Senior Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

The Spot Satellite GPS system can be a life saver. I had an emergency locater in my plane but on those trips that I charted and spent two weeks at a remote location, it would have been helpful.

Frank

Spot Satellite GPS Messenger

littledavid123

Reaction score
HSE (health, safety and enviroment) is something that we all should take seriously. I have noticed that we tend to pay attention to the enviromental subjects, but this question by Fysh (damn good one) is the first I have seen since becoming a member that concerns health and safety.

Speaking only for myself :rolleyes: I am not as spry as I used to be and when tromping thru the woods and climbing over boulders prospecting for fishing holes I need to start letting someone know the general area to start looking if I don't make it back by the dinner bell.

This is a subject much broader than just boats and should be discussed more often.

Thanks again Fysh...

Dave

racine

Reaction score
I agree with Frank. Some kind of locator or GPS and maps of adjacent areas. Besides all that was mentioned I'd include a drybag with a change of clothing/socks/boots, preferably some fleece/wool/goretex, a good hat, cell phone/radio, headlamps, food/small stove, waterfilter, ID/old dogtags, and a good whistle! Don't forget a days or 2 worth of food to get you by. Add some binoculars, gloves or first aid kit.
Have Fun!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I try not to load myself down but when float tripping I just take the box out of the power boat. In there are:

Air horn (aerosol)
Bear spray (two big ones)
Flares & flare gun
Fire extinguisher (small)
Fire starter
Flashlight
First Aid Kit (with suctcher kit & butterfly bandages for the worst of it)
Granola bars

And the box is tied off so you can't lose it.

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Thanks for your input.
I'd like to get a few more folks to chime in and then make a "basic list" and then a more "advanced list". Starting to see a few things are being mentioned more than once, that's a good thing.

Keep er goin'!

littledavid123

Reaction score
I like the idea of carrying a sutcher kit. Until the kids tore it up I had a flashlight that was self charging by just shaking it for a couple of seconds. It would give a bright light for about 15 seconds, good to have since you never had to worry about batteries.

Dave

Davo

Reaction score
My last float for the 2010 season ended with us an hour from the take out after the sun went down. I always bring my work Flashlight in the boat. It saved the day!! With out that light there is just way to much trouble to get in floating in the dark. Even if you don't think you'll be out after dark take a light, you never know what will happen. We stopped and worked to many riffles for feeding fish! :(:D

JoJer

Reaction score
End of duck season a year ago, I went thru the ice twice in one day. I was already giving some hard thought to better prep and gear for my day trips because someone in my hunting group went int he water in waders.
I'd always schooled my youth hunters never to walk away from the truck (deer) hunting without a well supplied daypack. But I carried little in the way of supplies for a day fishing or a day in the blind.
Now when I paddle the canoe out to an island for ducks, I have a set of dry clothes and other supplies wrapped up in my old (patched) waders.
Read the story in the new Drake magazine about the guy who shattered (shadoobie) his leg in a fall while fishing and waited 5 days on the rocks, in the water for rescue. It'll make you think.

chrome_jones

Reaction score
I would tie myself off with paracord and a carabiner to a floating dry bag. Tied off to it so that if the boat goes over, it's going to be with me, but use the carabiner and light paracord so that if you go in the drink and the bag becomes waterlogged or gets caught, you will be able to get shed of it to prevent drowning. A floating bag so that you can use it as additional floatation if you go in for an unplanned swim.
Who needs a first aid kit if you are dead?? This is a very dangerous suggestion, and in all likelihood if it were common river practice, it would kill more capsized boaters than it would save. Please folks respect the river, and the power of water, boat safe and boat smart, don't tie yourself to anything. There is plenty working against you already once you are swimming and not boating. Free floatin, feet first, with your nifty pfd after a capsize is your best bet. Anchored to your boat, rocks, logs etc... via your emergency kit, in heavy waters, is a sure way to reduce your chances of survival.

- Jones

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Common things mentioned.
PFD's.
Knife.
First-aid kit.
Rope.
Duct Tape.
Fire starter/matches.
Flashlight.
Extra clothes.