Drift boat value

parsond

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What would a fair price be for a 16' 1997 HP Hyde Drift boat? It is beat up pretty bad by heavy use (I am a seasonal guide) but is totally serviceable. Trailer, Sawyer oars, and a stained but sound cover included?

I need to sell her before I can pick up a new boat.

Just looking for a basic idea. I looked on line and saw some for about $6000...but they were a few years newer and less dinged up. That seems like a lot of cash to me.

Dan

trout trekker

Reaction score
Western Portal Sequoia National Forest, Kern River
The listings WJL posted seem to be about right, maybe a bit low for here.

How beat is beat?
Bottom and chine damage?
Interior shape?

The few used Hyde HP's around here, typically ten years old or a little less, asking mid 5’s to low 6, but they wouldn’t qualify as beat and that might include a transom mount and a ten horse smoker, oars anchor, spare oar, galvanized trailer and a cover. ( ready to float rig )
10 year old beater, 3,500 tops.

18 years old and my definition of beat, as in needs a good amount of bottom / chine work, new seats, hinges, etc.. $1,800 to $2,500.

My two cents.
Dave

parsond

Reaction score
It is BEAT UP! I mean its solid still... but it has been used hard (by me) for almost 20 years, averaging 90 floats a year. I have patched up the bad dings on the bottom and chines over and over, welded and re-welded the fenders back on the trailer, gone thru 5 seats, 3 sets of oars, 4 sets of tires. The inside needs to be painted.

It has had gallon and gallons of fish slime in it, a score of dead deer and antelope as well as 2 moose and maybe 1000 dead ducks and geese. I got married in it (I cleaned it up first). Makes me think...

I love my boat. Maybe Ill just put money into fixing her up. I just like the look of some of the new clackas... especially the rod storage. But with some TLC I bet I could get her looking pretty good again.

I wonder what I could do about storing fully rigged extra rods in her? She has 2 tubes but I often wish I had 4 more (2 guys with a streamer, nymphing, and dry rods all ready to pick up and fish)

Dan

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan: What about checking to see what Hyde charges to do a full rehab on it, to bring it back looking like new?

itchmesir

Reaction score
Sounds like the boat is a part of you man... Married in it? Maybe you just need to give Xzibit a call to pimp your boat... How tough could it be to figure out how to add a few more rod holders to a boat...

parsond

Reaction score
I decided to just fix her up myself. I have an idea on how to add some more rod tubes and refinishing the bottom looks straight forward. Maybe we will part in a few more years. She will sell higher all spruced up anyway!

Dan

dean_mt

Reaction score
Attaboy Dan...drive her into the ground - er, float 'er into a watery grave many years from now! ;)

My first vehicle was a 1979 Monte Carlo, which had been handed down a few times already through my family. All I know is that is was a sweet car when I was in high school, then my younger brother had it for a spell while I was in college, but it came back to me. I loved that car and took care of it, though did beat it up some too. The last year of it's life I did everything I could to keep it (almost) road legal. I find a lot of value in fixing stuff and keeping it useful.

If you could like your old boat anymore than you do now, you probably will after you know you extended it's usable life. And now you'll be with it when she turn's 20 years old! That's like flipping 200,000 on a truck. Here's to many many more years and great fishing out of your boat!

vanwagw

Reaction score
Hey guys,

What would a fair price be for a 16' 1997 HP Hyde Drift boat? It is beat up pretty bad by heavy use (I am a seasonal guide) but is totally serviceable. Trailer, Sawyer oars, and a stained but sound cover included?

I need to sell her before I can pick up a new boat.

Just looking for a basic idea. I looked on line and saw some for about $6000...but they were a few years newer and less dinged up. That seems like a lot of cash to me.

Dan
fix 'er up and keep goin!