Fiberglass drift boat bottom

jdecoudres

Reaction score
im looking at installing a protective bottom on my fiberglass drift boat. Looking at a uhmw plastic Teflon just haven't found out if I can glue it in. Anyone else have any ideas or input on what they have used

fyshstykr

Reaction score
What brand boat is it? If it's a Clacka I'd leave it alone.

The concern I'd have with putting something over the surface(even though it's a Teflon type material) is that it may make the boat "sticky" when sliding through shallow water or when you do hit a big one

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Re: Fiberglass drift boat bottom- especially wood hull drift boats.

Take your time and FOLLOW THE DIRECTIONS! [ame=http://www.amazon.com/Travaco-Gluvit-Epoxy-Waterproof-Sealer/product-reviews/B001446LH2]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Travaco Gluvit Epoxy Waterproof Sealer, 1.8 lbs[/ame]

This stuff really works well, you could plug leaks in Hoover Dam. Product has been around for close to 70 years that I know of, something to be said for that.:exercise:

fae

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
You might call Hyde, I think they offer an option of adding uhmw plastic Teflon bottom, (800) 444-HYDE Ext. 108.

wjl

Reaction score
Give these guys a call. Adipose Boatworks
They do a roll on Teflon bottom. Cost about $600 and 3 days.
A Claka would be more because of the dimpled bottom.
They had one at there factory very smooth.

vanwagw

Reaction score
im looking at installing a protective bottom on my fiberglass drift boat. Looking at a uhmw plastic Teflon just haven't found out if I can glue it in. Anyone else have any ideas or input on what they have used
check out graphite powder from west system. add with epoxy and fiberglass strips.

vanwagw

Reaction score
To add to my previous post, I forgot to mention...the fiberglass strips can be added on in one or more layers. You can sand down the edges and whet them out with epoxy. The strips act as sacrificial layers that protect the hull but are replaceable.