What oars are you running?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Many of you know the fiasco I had with a new set of oars we bought last Spring, total garbage and split after 3 trips. Anyway, I'm looking at buying another set soon and would like to know what your running and how you like them?

I've been looking at the Sawyer 'Square Tops' and think they might work....

Bigfly

Reaction score
John, went with cataract shafts, and the new Cutthroat blades...
I like'em....
Less maintenance too.....

Jim

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
Cataract for me with their big blades. Definitely switching to their Cutty blades as they weren't available when I bought mine.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'm a complete drift boat novice. I've always heard the name Sawyer more and assumed they were the most popular, but apparently not. I have Cataracts because that is what came with my boat, I'm glad to hear so many of you experts prefer them. I had to look up the Cutthroat blades, seem like a good design but again, I don't know much and have very little experience rowing. Do they make a noticeable difference?

fyshstykr

Reaction score
John, went with cataract shafts, and the new Cutthroat blades...
I like'em....
Less maintenance too.....

Jim
Hey Partner,
I'll look deeper into them since you and a few others have now mentioned them. I've been running their older oars before getting those POS that we ended up with. The funny thing is I didn't realize they(Cataract) are made in SLC by Advanced Composites. Being in the composites industry I will go there and see what the newer oars are all about and use them as an industry contact for my work. Maybe place a few students there for work too.

mt_flyfisher

Reaction score
After having and using a couple pair of counterbalanced Cataracts for a few years, and Carlisles as well for many years, I switched to Sawyers.

The first pair of Cataracts that I had were okay, but the 2nd pair that I had (first pair were 9' with Magnum blades, and the second were 9 1/2' with Magnum blades) did not seem to flex properly. I contacted the Cataract people, and after what seemed to be a laborious communication process, they seemed to agree to having me return the oars to them for testing, but then I had trouble getting a timely response from them, so I threw up my hands, got rid of the oars, and switched to the Sawyers.

Initially, i got the Sawyer 9 1/2' Square Tops with the Dynalite Shoal Cut blades, which had the graphite composit oar shaft that is similar to the Cataract shaft. However the shaft seemed a bit oversized, and heavy on the hands, so after talking at length to Sawyer's regional distributor, I purchased a second pair - the Square Top V-lams, with the Shoal Cut blades. While these are considerably lighter, and the shaft has a slimmer profile, I was initially concerned that the laminated wood blade, with a Kevlar tip protector, might not stand up to the rigors of regular use on the river. However, after using them for the past couple seasons, they have done just fine and I have nothing but nice things to say about them. I wouldn't want to use the blades as a lever between 2 rocks too much though!

More recently, Sawyer has come out with a new style of Square Tops with a fiberglass shaft (like the V Lams) but with Dynalite Blades. If and when I get back into the oar market again, that's what I would want to carefully look at.

Oh, I also use Sawyer's Cobra oar locks, but they aren't really an advantage on a drift boat, IMO.
John

jbcissell

Reaction score
I have cataract oars with magnum blades and I've rowed Sawyer oars once. Both are fine for me. To get a pair of Sawyer oars it would cost me over $800. I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

woodrivertroutbum

Reaction score
As an aside, I have a brand new set of shafts and blades if you decide to go with Cataract. Bought them as spares but am now considering a move to the land of rolling tarpon and tailing redfish.

jbcissell

Reaction score
As an aside, I have a brand new set of shafts and blades if you decide to go with Cataract. Bought them as spares but am now considering a move to the land of rolling tarpon and tailing redfish.
What blades?

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

bbbruce77

Reaction score
What ever blades you get make sure that they float. Very important as the type that sink can kill you if left unattended.

B

blackbugger

What ever blades you get make sure that they float. Very important as the type that sink can kill you if left unattended.
I have floating blades in my oars. I often take the raft out by myself and if I put oar-rights on the oars will remain in a position where I can stand in the center of the raft and cast while grabbing an oar to occasionally change my positition.

I've become pretty good at it and while there are rivers I would never attempt to fish this way there is a lot of water where I can be really effective by myself without someone else rowing. Floating blades make doing this possible and I set the oars in positions that will keep them from auguring into the bottom. If the water is more than a foot deep I don't have to worry about hitting the bottom at all.

I wouldn't recommend doing this in a drift boat though. Rafts are pretty forgiving and going down a run sideways is no big deal even when shallow.
I often times let the raft spin all the way around while floating down a bank and just keep pivoting my position in the raft while casting.

Incidentally I was out with a couple of other guys fishing the salmonflies in a white water stretch. Right above the most complex water my buddy who was rowing managed to jam one oar into some rocks.
The oar punched straight up in the air, yanked out of his hand as he stood up trying to hold onto it and it then pulled the oar lock out of the post hole, retaining ring and all and dropped into the river.

To his credit he didn't panic and managed with a couple of boat spins using the one oar left to get me into position to grab the floating oar with the lock still hanging off of it.

There was no way to put it back in and we needed to maneuver immediately so I used the oar as a paddle from the back of the raft to help us avoid one big rock with a big hole behind it and them we tried to make it to the bank which was all big sharp river rock like you see in canyons out west.
We crashed into the rocks and I jumped out from the back and grabbed the raft frame but it was too much mass and it pulled me off the waist deep rocks I was standing on. This was all in the middle of white water.

I was hanging off the raft about 5 feet from shore catching rocks with my feet trying to pull the raft to one of the many small holes along the bank.
My buddy made one more good oar stroke to get us close to the bank again and then he jumped out and we were able to pull the raft tight to the bank in a little hole about half the size of the raft.

We ended up landing just above the biggest mid river rock with big drops on both sides that required quick moves for about 20-30 yards after.
It was SKETCH-EEEY!!

The truly amazing thing was that no fly rods were broken in all of this. I don't know how I managed to not break mine as it was in my hand when the oar pulled out and all hell broke loose.

dean_mt

Reaction score
Jeezus man, that sounds pretty scary! I'm sure it all happened faster than you could actually think, amazing how adrenaline affects the brain. Dare I ask if you were wearing a pfd? I hate reading the stories like this that don't end so well, seems like there are at least a couple every year around here, but I haven't heard of any drownings yet. Where on the Big Hole?

A few years ago a guide lost it in Rock Creek and tossed both of his clients. I think he lost his boat. That river is just too small and way too fast to even react if there is trouble.

I'm glad you made you out...and still got to fish the rest of the way!

B

blackbugger

Jeezus man, that sounds pretty scary! I'm sure it all happened faster than you could actually think, amazing how adrenaline affects the brain. Dare I ask if you were wearing a pfd? I hate reading the stories like this that don't end so well, seems like there are at least a couple every year around here, but I haven't heard of any drownings yet. Where on the Big Hole?

A few years ago a guide lost it in Rock Creek and tossed both of his clients. I think he lost his boat. That river is just too small and way too fast to even react if there is trouble.

I'm glad you made you out...and still got to fish the rest of the way!
Yeah, one of his clients drowned right?

No pfds. You know we've run it a bunch of times and and at its worst its maybe class III but with clear lines down the whole thing.
I never would have thought of it as really being dangerous unless something like what happened actually happened.

I had a spare oar and everything but with the oar lock actually pulled out there was no point in grabbing it. The retaining ring was bent into a thin oval and still attached to the bottom of the lock and I knew just by looking at it there was no way I was going to be able to get it off the lock or force it back down the post hole.

Just that weird completely unforeseen set of circumstances. We could easily have flipped if we had hit a couple of normally easily avoidable features.
The one thing it made me realize I definitely need to do is get a set of oar rings that have straps to lash to the boat so if you do pop an oar you can get it back immediately. That water at least demands that.
I've improvised a set out of NRS straps when I've done real whitewater like the Kitchen Sink in Beartrap Canyon.

We weren't on the Big Hole, I'll pm you where we were. It's a place I've vowed to never talk about on the net.