The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  36
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 03-21-2016, 06:49 PM
What oars are you running?

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default What oars are you running?

Many of you know the fiasco I had with a new set of oars we bought last Spring, total garbage and split after 3 trips. Anyway, I'm looking at buying another set soon and would like to know what your running and how you like them?

I've been looking at the Sawyer 'Square Tops' and think they might work....
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fredaevans, mcnerney, parsond liked this post
Old 03-21-2016, 09:05 PM

Bigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond reputeBigfly has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to Bigfly
Default Re: What oars are you running?

John, went with cataract shafts, and the new Cutthroat blades...
I like'em....
Less maintenance too.....

Jim
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, fyshstykr liked this post
Old 03-27-2016, 06:07 AM

woodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nicewoodrivertroutbum is just really nice

Cataract for me with their big blades. Definitely switching to their Cutty blades as they weren't available when I bought mine.
Old 03-27-2016, 10:57 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodrivertroutbum View Post
Cataract for me with their big blades. Definitely switching to their Cutty blades as they weren't available when I bought mine.
I'm also using the Cataract oars with their big blades. I guess I need to checkout the Cutty blades.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes fyshstykr liked this post
Old 03-27-2016, 11:09 AM

dean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond reputedean_mt has a reputation beyond repute

I'm a complete drift boat novice. I've always heard the name Sawyer more and assumed they were the most popular, but apparently not. I have Cataracts because that is what came with my boat, I'm glad to hear so many of you experts prefer them. I had to look up the Cutthroat blades, seem like a good design but again, I don't know much and have very little experience rowing. Do they make a noticeable difference?
Old 03-27-2016, 02:18 PM

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfly View Post
John, went with cataract shafts, and the new Cutthroat blades...
I like'em....
Less maintenance too.....

Jim
Hey Partner,
I'll look deeper into them since you and a few others have now mentioned them. I've been running their older oars before getting those POS that we ended up with. The funny thing is I didn't realize they(Cataract) are made in SLC by Advanced Composites. Being in the composites industry I will go there and see what the newer oars are all about and use them as an industry contact for my work. Maybe place a few students there for work too.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 1 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes Bigfly liked this post
Old 03-27-2016, 02:25 PM

wjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to beholdwjl is a splendid one to behold

Mountain Driftboat - Oars by Sawyer
Square top with full wrap.
If you want you can come see them.
Let me know.
Likes fyshstykr, mcnerney liked this post
Old 03-27-2016, 04:09 PM

mt_flyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutmt_flyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutmt_flyfisher has a spectacular aura about

After having and using a couple pair of counterbalanced Cataracts for a few years, and Carlisles as well for many years, I switched to Sawyers.

The first pair of Cataracts that I had were okay, but the 2nd pair that I had (first pair were 9' with Magnum blades, and the second were 9 1/2' with Magnum blades) did not seem to flex properly. I contacted the Cataract people, and after what seemed to be a laborious communication process, they seemed to agree to having me return the oars to them for testing, but then I had trouble getting a timely response from them, so I threw up my hands, got rid of the oars, and switched to the Sawyers.

Initially, i got the Sawyer 9 1/2' Square Tops with the Dynalite Shoal Cut blades, which had the graphite composit oar shaft that is similar to the Cataract shaft. However the shaft seemed a bit oversized, and heavy on the hands, so after talking at length to Sawyer's regional distributor, I purchased a second pair - the Square Top V-lams, with the Shoal Cut blades. While these are considerably lighter, and the shaft has a slimmer profile, I was initially concerned that the laminated wood blade, with a Kevlar tip protector, might not stand up to the rigors of regular use on the river. However, after using them for the past couple seasons, they have done just fine and I have nothing but nice things to say about them. I wouldn't want to use the blades as a lever between 2 rocks too much though!

More recently, Sawyer has come out with a new style of Square Tops with a fiberglass shaft (like the V Lams) but with Dynalite Blades. If and when I get back into the oar market again, that's what I would want to carefully look at.

Oh, I also use Sawyer's Cobra oar locks, but they aren't really an advantage on a drift boat, IMO.
John
Likes fyshstykr, mcnerney liked this post
Old 03-27-2016, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjl View Post
Mountain Driftboat - Oars by Sawyer
Square top with full wrap.
If you want you can come see them.
Let me know.
Hi Wayne, I've seen them from a distance and on the puter, I might just do that.
Likes mcnerney, wjl liked this post
Old 04-05-2016, 03:36 AM

jbcissell is a jewel in the roughjbcissell is a jewel in the roughjbcissell is a jewel in the rough

I have cataract oars with magnum blades and I've rowed Sawyer oars once. Both are fine for me. To get a pair of Sawyer oars it would cost me over $800. I'll pass.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk