RTIC Coolers

gannett10

Reaction score
Field & Stream recently did a gear review on a number of these roto-molded Yeti-type coolers. The Cabela's version actually came out on top, and at $250, is a good bit cheaper than the Yeti. I didn't see RTIC in the list. Most likely they didn't respond to a request for a test specimen.

dean_mt

Reaction score
I'll assume you found some critical reviews during your research. They have been "backordered" since they first broke into the market. It was the major complaint from the beginning, and it is still the case. A friend of mine ordered one, got the "6 weeks out" line then on the day it was supposed to ship he got another message that it would be X weeks and he canceled his order.

I hope you get yours.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I'll assume you found some critical reviews during your research. They have been "backordered" since they first broke into the market. It was the major complaint from the beginning, and it is still the case. A friend of mine ordered one, got the "6 weeks out" line then on the day it was supposed to ship he got another message that it would be X weeks and he canceled his order.

I hope you get yours.
I did. They said 6 weeks out but it shipped in 5. Half the price and all the quality of a Yeti. Happy.

802flyfish

Reaction score
I ordered an artic, I was aware of the delay. I received an email saying it would be delayed again. Cancelled my order and bought a yeti

delaware guy

Reaction score
I recently ordered a soft 30, a roto 45, a roto 20, a 20 oz mug a 30 oz mug and a 64 oz bottle. I received the 20 and the 30 and both mugs within ten days. I'm still waiting for the bottle and the 45..... If I switched to the tan 45 it would ship asap, but I'm going to wait for white.

The 20 and the soft 30 are excellent. I absolutely love them.... great build quality, great ice retention.

comeonavs

Reaction score
We got a bunch of the RTIC soft side 20's for give aways at work. My engineer is a super nerd Yeti guy and I had him buy a RTIC 30oz tumbler and cooler and do some "scientific" measurements.

He is a shooter and reloader so he's got all the grain scales and things you would need. After testing both for 48 hours he called me and said wow they are so close in quality its crazy.

Like after 24 hours the RTIC and Yeti had minute differences in ice hold over and temp, like negligible differences. So we ordered 150 tumblers and had a gunsmith cerakote our company logo on them and are doing vinyl prints for the coolers.

I love my RTIC mug, and my cooler will be here any day

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
We got a bunch of the RTIC soft side 20's for give aways at work. My engineer is a super nerd Yeti guy and I had him buy a RTIC 30oz tumbler and cooler and do some "scientific" measurements.

He is a shooter and reloader so he's got all the grain scales and things you would need. After testing both for 48 hours he called me and said wow they are so close in quality its crazy.

Like after 24 hours the RTIC and Yeti had minute differences in ice hold over and temp, like negligible differences. So we ordered 150 tumblers and had a gunsmith cerakote our company logo on them and are doing vinyl prints for the coolers.

I love my RTIC mug, and my cooler will be here any day
A bunch of people here at work have the "Ozark Trail" (Walmart) tumblers. They keep ice for at least a day. I saw some tests on the internet (keeping in mind it was just some guy on the internet and not a certified source) demonstrate that the cheapo was actually the best option out there. I don't know if I buy that. I would think it would be about exactly the same if it is a good copy.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Yeah so my engineer lives in Austin which is the home of Yeti I believe , and from what he told me Yeti never patented the technology because it was old technology, so anyone can use it.

Yeti just got to market first and built the market for those things and their brand carries a premium price just no difference in function.

Just what I was told not what I know for sure.

mcbauer1961

Reaction score
Im no legel expert but if they don't have the patent how can they sue. Unless its for bringing to market a cooler that looks exactly like a yeti.

http://austininno.streetwise.co/201...ts-and-copycats-threaten-the-austin-business/

Also suing Walmart for the Yeti tumbler design.

Me personally, If i knew that walmart would come out with a cup for $10 I would never had paid $40 for a yeti. But I do like my Yeti.

Bob

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Im no legel expert but if they don't have the patent how can they sue. Unless its for bringing to market a cooler that looks exactly like a yeti.

http://austininno.streetwise.co/201...ts-and-copycats-threaten-the-austin-business/

Also suing Walmart for the Yeti tumbler design.

Me personally, If i knew that walmart would come out with a cup for $10 I would never had paid $40 for a yeti. But I do like my Yeti.

Bob
In this country, you can sue someone for saying the sky is blue. I think they are just wasting money going after Wally World. They can't outlast them in a long litigation process. They may be able to overwhelm smaller companies, though. You don't have to win to deplete someone else's resources paying legal fees.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Yeah so my engineer lives in Austin which is the home of Yeti I believe , and from what he told me Yeti never patented the technology because it was old technology, so anyone can use it.

Yeti just got to market first and built the market for those things and their brand carries a premium price just no difference in function.

Just what I was told not what I know for sure.
They made their killing while they could on an unpatented product. Wal-Mart's $10 retail leads me to believe the nearly identical cup can be manufacturered for $5 or so. Yeti is manufacturing for similar cost so no sympathy when they run out of luck on their price gouging strategy. Same with coolers. Their pricing made it very lucrative to compete with them at half their retail price or even less. Yeti will be cheaper very soon.

mridenour

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
They made their killing while they could on an unpatented product. Wal-Mart's $10 retail leads me to believe the nearly identical cup can be manufacturered for $5 or so. Yeti is manufacturing for similar cost so no sympathy when they run out of luck on their price gouging strategy. Same with coolers. Their pricing made it very lucrative to compete with them at half their retail price or even less. Yeti will be cheaper very soon.
No doubt about it, Yeti has been price gouging. They had to know the party would be over before long.

If they had charged a fair price in the first place, there would be less profit margin for copycats.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Engel Coolers developed the technology.
Yes, that is the company (Engel), I just couldn't remember the name, but I remembered hearing a podcast where Engel claimed to be first to the market, but obviously Yeti was much better at marketing, hats off to them for pulling it off.

comeonavs

Reaction score
Well with all the RTIC Sales lately I got a RTIC 20 , Camo 30 for a friends Christmas present

We're dong the rtic40 as a marketing product at work so I will get a sample one soon

Now I just need my wife to grasp the concept that they seal tight so if she leaves it unzipped it defeats the purpose

bob3700

Reaction score
Which products are made in the USA?
If the $10 cool cup is made in China, I will buy the Yeti or whatever is made in USA.

As a country we want to bring manufacturing jobs back to the folks in this country.

Are we willing to pay the increased coasts of That domestic source. I for one am.

Let the made in USA market determine a fair price for the coolers n cups we purchase!

Bob

nevadanstig

Reaction score
Which products are made in the USA?
If the $10 cool cup is made in China, I will buy the Yeti made in USA.

The country elected a guy who wants to bring manufacturing jobs back to the folks in this country.

I guess as a country, we need to put our money where our mouth is.

Let the made in USA market determine a fair price for the coolers n cups we purchase!

Bob
Only SOME of yeti's top of the line coolers are usa made, some in the Philippines. Their "cheaper" coolers, and all cups and drinkware, including that $40 cup, are made in China.