Clacka 16 LP or Clacka Eddy

802flyfish

Reaction score
Has anyone rowed the Clacka LP 16 or the Clacka Eddy 16?
Looking to purchase a boat here in Montana?

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have rowed both...bought the LP.
The Eddy was fatter in the stern.
Not as much fun to walk it...seems to stop more water.
But it has more room...
Jim

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
Great Question!

I grew up rowing LPs. My Father has had 3 or 4 of them. Most of the guys I have fished with forever have them too. I ended up going with an Eddy.

In my experience. I would rather have an Eddy for faster water with lots of obstacles. The eddy seems faster to respond. A quick pull back on the oars and she stops quick. Makes life a lot easier when trying to pick your way through some water with lots of rapids and rocks. You don't have to plan out our route as far ahead as you do with the LP. To me it seems the LP takes more planning and you make your adjustments quite a ways before you get to the obstruction. (As we all know we should be doing already).

That being said I would rather have an LP if I am in skinny water. I can watch my friends in their LPs float over gravel bars that I have to get out and push over. equal weight distribution considered. Also the Lps seem much easier to back row up heavier water. If i had to back row the same heavyish current 3 or 4 times in a row over and over all day I would go with the LP.

Either way you can't go wrong. They are the exact same boat until you get to the stern.

I also agree with WJL, Gary Beebe at Mountain driftboat in Victor is the man when it comes to talking drift boats. He is a Clacka dealer and knows his stuff. He also has every part on hand that you will ever need for a driftboat.

Mountain Driftboat - ClackaCraft Drift Boat Drift Boats - Located in Victor, Idaho

Good luck and let us know what you end up with!

802flyfish

Reaction score
I thought the eddy was better suited for lower water conditions? I can't believe the pre owned prices for DB. I've seen 2012 models that are going only about 1-1.5k below the retail value of a brand new Drift boat. I'm located in Bozeman so it will be for Montana mostly

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
I thought the eddy was better suited for lower water conditions? I can't believe the pre owned prices for DB. I've seen 2012 models that are going only about 1-1.5k below the retail value of a brand new Drift boat. I'm located in Bozeman so it will be for Montana mostly
Mine seems to sit lower in the water than the LPs. Seems like in the LP's on a day trip I can float in 4-6 inches of water. in my Eddy I need minimum of 8.

Another thought while we are at it: The Eddys are also better for having a bigger person in the back as well.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
Either one will do! Get ahold of Gary at Mountian Driftboat and ask him what he has new or used. He is a great resource and he has one hell of a selection. Maybe you will like the color scheme on one or the other better and that will make your choice for you.

I had him send me the list of his current stock and then went on Clacka's website and used the color tool to see what they all looked like. Then had him send me photos of the color combo that i liked best.

ClackaCraft Drift Boats - Hull Color Options

802flyfish

Reaction score
We are currently in talking. My only concern is if there will be a warranty if I buy a used Clacka. For 1-1.5 k I can get a brand new DB. I figured it would be a lot cheaper buying a used DB.

pho_phizzat

Reaction score
Have you done much rowing before? If you are well versed at rowing and have the extra cash go with a new one for sure. That way every ding and scratch you put on it will be yours to claim.

If you are newish on the sticks then maybe get a used one because you WILL be putting lots of marks on it.

Either way it's an exciting time. Also if you go down to MT driftboat to pick it up , Victor is just a short drive from the South Fork of the snake. I imagine that 90% of the boats bought from Gary are broke in on the South Fork the same day.

Bigfly

Reaction score
I bought mine through the Clacka dealer in Idaho falls..
Maybe a bigger stock on hand.
When I went to see Gary, he stocked mostly Eddy's......
If I were to buy one now, it would be the new modular front deck.
A large single box, double box, or Yeti cooler.

Jim

jds108

Reaction score
Serious question for the OP - how did you manage to narrow your choices down to two Clacka models? (as opposed to the other manufacturers)

Bigfly

Reaction score
Since Clacka holds value well, you can't go wrong.
Found the boat to be very forgiving and maneuverable....thankfully.
Flexi floor works well at keeping from sticking when you do find a rock or shoal...
Very shallow draft! Took a while to adjust to grinding over gravel, and carrier like landings on gravel-bars...
Found it amazing how I could hold in fast water....
Recommend an oar upgrade though, to the cutthroat blades......

Someday, a skiff will be on my list.....but I rowed one on the S Fork of the Snake at 10,000cfs, and felt under-gunned......wouldn't take much to mess up.
The LP was comforting by comparison. But does stop more wind than a skiff.

Jim

mt_flyfisher

Reaction score
I am a bit late in this discussion, but here are a couple additional comparisons between the LP and the Eddy that I was told recently by Matt Kelly at Clackacraft in Idaho Falls.

He said the Eddy holds in place better in faster water. The more you pull on the sticks, the higher the stern rises, allowing water to go under the boat. Gary Beebe told me the same thing when I visited him in Victor a few weeks back.

Matt said that the LP holds a line and tracks straighter than the Eddy. I believe he said the Eddy ferrys across the current faster than the LP does, but I'd have to check again to make sure about that.

Gary Beebe said the majority of the boats he sells these days are Eddy's, if that tells you something.

I've got a new Eddy 360 all specked out, and now all I have to do is to put a down payment on it, for pickup next spring. You can get a somewhat better price on a new one by ordering it in the offseason.

I had owned an LP, but went with a Hyde several years ago (big misstake). I recently got rid of the Hyde, and am now going back to Clackacraft. I also considered getting a RO, but decided not to go that direction, more from a price standpoint than anything. I am also getting Beebe's designed Sawyer square top oars for the new Eddy, plus a handful of other options for it.

One other thing I'm planning for the boat trailer, is an easy wind winch. It has two sets of gears to use when cracking the boat in - one uses both gears, and makes it much easier, although slower, to winch the boat onto the trailer. This is particularly useful at steep inclines.

John

P.S. I am located in Paradise Valley in the summer, but am back at my home in PA now.

802flyfish

Reaction score
Rented a RO drift boat on the Madison yesterday. Defiantly hit some rocks and was scraping in a few sections. Saw a lot of rafts That were going through channels that I would never be able to do on a drift boat.