The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  25
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 09-19-2017, 06:29 PM

vpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Building a Skiff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by el_deanyo View Post
This is a pretty awesome build to follow. Nice work.

How long has it taken you from start to this point? Where are you located/what type of river are you primarily building it for?
Has taken me since late winter last year. It's honestly something you can finish in month or two if you really go at it, but was alittle busy with a job change and then the summer I was fishing.

I'm in Michigan. Built it for slow, shallow rivers. Ausable, Perre Marquette, Manistee, Huron, Flint, Cass, etc..

Rocker is very mild, stable for its size. Floats pretty high which is what I need..

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 05:29 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:26 PM ----------

Trying to figure out how to post a video, boat rowed fantastic!!

Girlfriend took an artsy pic.Click the image to open in full size.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes mcnerney, el_deanyo liked this post
Old 09-26-2017, 10:05 AM

vpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of lightvpsihop1 is a glorious beacon of light

Never could afford a $90K BMW in "Laguna Seca Blue" but had it colormatchedBuilding a Skiff.

Could have spent a week fairing/sanding, but I called it good. Want it on the water.

Will post completed paint pics and some river shots tomorrow.

Floating the Ausable in Grayling tomorrow!! 8 hour float in some easy water per the local fly shop.Click the image to open in full size.Click the image to open in full size.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes el_deanyo, mcnerney liked this post
Old 09-27-2017, 03:27 PM

White knuckled the whole way!! Survived!Click the image to open in full size.

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes dean_mt, mcnerney, el_deanyo liked this post
Old 09-30-2017, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazzer69 View Post
In twenty two years of rowing a drift boat I've never felt the need for a adjustable foot rest. If the rowers seat is made from poly type one inch strapping and is long enough fore and aft you can shift your butt position a little each way to suit what you are doing. I frequently stand when rowing to give my lower body a bit of a stretch. Most drift boats have a set of three or four holes to position the oarlocks to be comfortable with your arm length, oar length and type of stroke you are doing. Your side "flare" which boaters might call " Tumble Home" ( not my name) seems a bit excessive, but since you have already built it it can't be changed. Make sure the bottom of the hull is plenty thick and has stringers running for and aft to stiffen and reinforce the hull. Don't use a Yeti for a seat unless it's bolted down. Of course if you intend to use a motor then the transom needs to be nice and strong. The same for the anchor mount.
This style of skiff is as old as the hills and you can't go much wrong.
Good effort, I've built a couple of wood drift boats and enjoyed every minute of building and using. But for sheer durability aluminum can't be beat.
Cheers
Thank you for the recommendation on a wider (fire and aft) rowers seat. Works like a charm for sliding forward and back