Thanks Thanks:  2
Likes Likes:  36
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Default Re: The Perfect Boat

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    "There is no "perfect" boat."

Tell that to Paul Allen:

Crazy facts about Paul Allen's superyacht - Business Insider

I was diving in Hawaii once and we were anchored a few hundred yards from that boat. It is amazing.
    Nice, but how does row, and can I pole it on a red fish flat?

2. Likes karstopo liked this post

There is no do-it-all -- stable, powerable, easy to mange on stiill and fast water -- boat out there in IMHO.

For your still water needs you cannot beat a Gheenoe for stability and safety. You can't tip or sink it. Guys shoot shotguns at ducks standing in it! Plus, if handy, it is readily custom configured for fishing with loads of accessories to get it just as you want it. Comes in high or low side and various lengths. Check them out on Youtube. Down sides? They have a keel and thus are not much good on fast moving water but can be used on wide slow current rivers easily. They really need a trailer.

I owned and used a 15' er for decades.

There are slow moving water and fast water boats with way different profiles. A lot of craft to match each use profile but the former are downright dangerous on fast water.

ddb

Quote Originally Posted by gpwhitejr View Post
    "There is no "perfect" boat."

Tell that to Paul Allen:

Crazy facts about Paul Allen's superyacht - Business Insider

I was diving in Hawaii once and we were anchored a few hundred yards from that boat. It is amazing.
    Yeah, but I'll bet there is still some things about it he'd like to change.

5. Likes fredaevans liked this post
    White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Ah yes … the perfect boat.

Years back now and up in Princes Louisa Inlet (if you haven't been there put it on your 'bucket list!!') twiddling with something on my Sea Scout ship. And older Gentleman walks up and asked if we were Sea Scouts.

'Yes Sir, how can I help you?'

Just what he wanted to hear …. $250,000 custom 50 some foot Chris Craft and it was 'broke.' Or at least the electrical system. He'd been sitting at the dock for a week and hadn't started the engine's to charge the battery packs.

End game was I had a spool of #6 heavy wire, made 'jumper cables' and got him going. The really end game was he was one of the top three richest people in Seattle. From that point on if we needed 'any thing' …. 'Just have the boat yard call me and I'll take care of it.'

A man of his word … I took care of his boat maintained from that point forward. For him, he just put in the ignition key and it ran. For us the boys didn't have to worry about paper drives and selling Christmas Trees
    When wealth is lost, nothing is lost; when health is lost, something is lost; when character is lost, all is lost. - Billy Graham"

I had the PortaBote; like most craft, it is good for what it is intended for. If I was living out of a vehicle, it can be car topped or you see them mounted on RV sides. If I could leave it setup, I'd get something more fly fishing friendly.

I had a Gheenoe, but once I got all the casting decks built, the center of gravity was too high when my chubby pals started casting. Sold it to a BWCA area muskie guide, he loves it.

Check out Smithfly (my choice) or the couple other 3 man rafts. Very versatile, comfortable to fish. One needs a drift boat / raft, or at the other extreme, a jet sled for western trout waters. I run the SmithFly or a Boulder Boat out west.

I had the good guy deals from both Hyde and Clack in the past, but would not own another glass boat. Too sticky on rocks, and my buddies and I are really hard on chines. The Boulder is HDPE - cutting board. No maintenance (well, spar varnish once in a while on the wood) sits very light on the water, tracks and spins, and slides right over stuff that would seize a tin or glass hull. Plus warm and cool. But, if I had to own or begin with one craft, it might be the small 3 man raft over a drift boat. 1/3 the money, probably more versatile.

My Hog Island Skiff is a utility player, no maintenance, trailered craft for powerdrifting rivers, and gets good marks for shallow salt, I guess. Roto molded HDPE. I have a hopped up Yamaha 2 stroke (began as a 50hp) 3 cyl jet, about 42 hp at the pump. Motor weighs about 200 w/ power T&T, as near as we can figure from online specs. It is the perfect powered option for what I do, midwestern rivers and the occasional lake, rows about as awkwardly as you'd guess compared to a drift boat...but.. it goes both ways![ATTACH=CONFIG]16224

The rear casting deck aft of the dry storage box is HDPE cutting board, on a PVC pipe frame holding tool kit, battery, and gas can(s). It's side wings flip up and demount with stainless sailboat cabinet hinges. Small Igloo cooler is a good seat option or kneeling cushion when tiller running, and the Canyon Cooler midships is the pedestal for the folding kayak style rower's seat. Note aluminum footbrace velcroed to the front of the Igloo. Casting braces are demountable PVC, and anyone familiar with my work knows not to trust them, the rear one is a bit theoretical, and the front one rotates. On demand, and sometimes otherwise.

I've pulled the front battery now, and use a long battery cable down the port side, not hooked up but ready to go, for the trolling motor. Battery is an Optima Blue Top, so could troll me and is also the starting battery. Never use the troller in rivers, with rocks and sudden depth changes, so may demount it this summer and just store it.

Oars are 10' Sawyer with shoal cut blades. Rowing all day is an adult activity. I've had guys who can't get the blade out of the water after a half hour. Rod holders on the gunnel are my mods from Boulder Boat works. Neither they nor the stock ones work as well as I'd like when the over stimulated Pudelpointer starts trying to catch those airborne chartreuse poppers and streamers, thinking they are tennis balls ..
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Car7x; 06-13-2019 at 02:59 PM.

I wonder if a guy can fly cast on that SoloSkiff - cute rig...

Well here is an old thread I don't think I ever posted. If you truly fish a very wide variety of water, the correct answer is there is no perfect boat. You need two boats to get even close to covering most water. I have an Alumacraft walleye styled V-hull and it's a dream on choppy big lakes, wonderful on smaller lakes. 22yrs old and I am buying a new one on a few years. Absolutely worthless on a creek, and it would take about 25 minutes to sink it in Alaska. I'm not going to row it for long it either. My second boat would have to be a flat-bottom or a canoe around here, and they absolutely stink on the water my V hull excels on. There is a good reason they make all different kinds of boats. You can fly fish with a 5WT rod and call it a day if you like. That's not how boats work. Not at all.

Excellent post. I have the Stealthcraft Hooligan and it's an absolutely awesome river, pond and small lake boat. My 2.5hp Suzuki 4 stroke will push it up river in 4,000 CFS current before stalling out. So pretty nice rig in lower flows.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234