The Perfect Boat

rbbonner34

Reaction score
I've been doing a ton of research on boats, manufacturers, styles, setups, etc.
But I thought I would pose this question out here.

I'm looking for an "All-purpose" boat; and by all-purpose I mean that I can fish the lakes, and rivers in the central Alabama area where I live, but also trailer it to fish in the Gulf area and maybe larger trout rivers in the Appalachian (TN, NC, GA) regions that you can realistically float a boat.

My primary needs (other than desired fishing areas) are:
Ultra stable (I want to be able to walk)
Fly Fishing friendly
Ability to be rowed and motored

This might not even exist, but I thought I would ask. Not really concerned about budget.. If there is a boat this good, it would be worth the investment...

Thanks in Advance.

vpsihop1

Reaction score
Stealth Craft in Baldwin MI makes such boats, I believe all have a motor rating, and some models are specifically designed for what you describe.

I believe the owner has a degree in naval engineering.

Lots of cool videos of them motoring drift oars on lakes.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

cab

Reaction score
This is the one I've been looking at:

https://www.porta-bote.com/

I can flop it over the pickup, and still tow my camper. It'll do for the relatively small lakes 'round here, not sure how one would work Down South. The only weakness I've found (via reviews) is that the nose flexes in a hard chop, otherwise folks seem to like it.

HTH,
CAB

photoguy

Reaction score
I was in one of these last week...very stable, flat floor that accommodates a lot of custom moving of components and I appreciated the doors getting in and out. It also had lots of storage and well thought out design. I don't have a lot of experience with drift boats (this was my first) but have been boating on the ocean for decades and I thought these were very well built. I took the opportunity to do a little of the rowing just to try it and it was very responsive and comfortable. We finished the end of the river under outboard power for a 10 minute trip across a lower pond to the boat ramp. A little 4 HP outboard moved it right along while towing the second drift boat and both boats were under load with 3 people each..

https://www.pavatimarine.com

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Went to the Pav-Marine web site and this is what
google gives me ... YIKES!:eek:

Your connection is not secure

The owner of pavatimarine.com has configured their web site improperly. To protect your information from being stolen, Firefox has not connected to this web site.

Learn more…

Report errors like this to help Mozilla identify and block malicious sites

pavatimarine.com uses an invalid security certificate.

The certificate is only valid for www.pavatimarine.com

Error code: SSL_ERROR_BAD_CERT_DOMAIN

That aside they build one heck of a good drift boat.
fae

photoguy

Reaction score
^ Gee...I didn't get any of that...but glad you got to see the boats, they really are very nicely done. I wasn't sure if it was a flash site as it opens with a 'moving' illustration of the boat-maybe that's the reason for the Google notices?

Here's a couple of hot linked photos for anyone that's interested to see-

al_a

Reaction score
My thoughts on the matter...drift boats were originally designed for high volume rivers where you often encounter big waves and which require a lot of maneuvering, hence the high sides and severe rocker. There are certainly rivers in the East that fit that description, but far more rivers where a typical drift boat is totally unnecessary. Unless you plan on fishing a high volume river with heavy rapids, forget about a drift boat and simply get a lightweight aluminum johnboat, with which you can row, use a trolling motor, or use an outboard (or all three). If fishing with just two people, you can use a 14 footer and paddle it downriver. They are stable enough to stand in, and easy to trailer, and cheaper than most drift boats. They won't handle rivers with serious rapids, but are perfect as a combo craft for most Eastern streams and smaller lakes.

Here in the Ozarks, a few guides have bought drift boats. I think it's mainly to make them look more like typical trout guides out West, because it certainly doesn't give them much of an advantage in actually fishing Ozark streams. In fact, one or two of them have ended up trying to sell their fancy drift boats because they were impractical for the kind of streams they were fishing.

S

smcnearn

Seems to me that there are a ton of low sided driftboats for sale these days, in fact I'd take a raft over a driftboat for any type of heavy rapids.

In my view driftboats are most well suited for easy to medium waters, really for slow water with a low sided boat in wind they are great.

I'd don't really see the point in a highside driftboat compared to a raft in terms of safety and practicality.

My dream setup is a lowside Boulder Boat Works Proguide, and an Aire Super Puma with downriver frame.

Maybe if I make it to the coast I'll need a jet powered river sled. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

deceiverbob

Reaction score
There is no "perfect" boat. They are all compromises. If you can find one that fits 90% of what you want to do, you have found your perfect boat. For the Gulf and the larger lakes you are going to want a planing hull which doesn't row very well. A drift boat on open water will catch wind and be hard control.

rbbonner34

Reaction score
There is no "perfect" boat. They are all compromises. If you can find one that fits 90% of what you want to do, you have found your perfect boat. For the Gulf and the larger lakes you are going to want a planing hull which doesn't row very well. A drift boat on open water will catch wind and be hard control.
That's what I have found to be true as well. I just wanted to get some input from other fly anglers who may have some thoughts on a more dynamic boat that can handle a lot of situations. I have been leaning towards Stealthcraft A.T.B. out of Michigan, and that is probably what I will go with.

Thanks for all the input!

quest4adv

Reaction score
The "Perfect Boat" is your buddies boat.

Buy the beer and ice and help clean up.

Learned this lesson the hard way :)

bazzer69

Reaction score

I have to disagree with you, the drift boat is a fine open water boat, used many years by the Scottish lobster fishermen and stacked on decks with the seats removed in the sailing boat days. I've used mine on many a lake with a 15 hp outboard , not fast granted, but it will get you there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tcorfey

Reaction score
I would recommend you pick up a book called the Outboard Boater's Handbook Published by International Marine and TAB Books a division of McGraw Hill. ISBN 0-87742-409-8 I am not sure if it is still in print mine is from 1994 and I still refer back to it from time to time. Lot's of good information on all kinds of small to medium sized boats with discussions on hull designs, trailering, seamanship, anchoring all kinds of stuff. I still see that it is available on the web.

Regards,

Tim C.

deceiverbob

Reaction score
I have to disagree with you, the drift boat is a fine open water boat, used many years by the Scottish lobster fishermen and stacked on decks with the seats removed in the sailing boat days. I've used mine on many a lake with a 15 hp outboard , not fast granted, but it will get you there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
If you're referring to Banks Dories, They were used because they were cheap and could be stacked on deck like you say. They weren't rowed for great distances from the mother boats and they behaved much better with a heavy load of fish on board. If I am making a forty mile run in the Gulf I still prefer my center console.

foulhook3160

Reaction score
rbbonner34,
Since I live in the area mentioned and wanted a boat, I too faced your dilemma. I almost exclusively fish for trout and wanted a boat that would hold up to the rocks that are sometimes found all over our rivers. I got a Hog Island and it has been a great choice. If I were you I would get a plastic drift boat and not worry about the rock. Stealthcraft and Boulder boat works are also great choices. You will need the toughness of plastic if you float Tennessee's Hi, or the 'Hooch in Georgia from Buford Dam. Not that you can't survive in another type boat, but you don't have to worry about plastic.

Also think about the size of the boat. For example, there are drops on the Hi and too small a boat will tend to "dive" and take on water.

Not all is bliss, my Hog Island is a tank, heavy, but the trade-off for worry free boating is worth it.

The Hog also has a boat motor mount that could be used for lakes.

Hope this helps and hope you get a good one.
JD

rbbonner34

Reaction score
rbbonner34,
Since I live in the area mentioned and wanted a boat, I too faced your dilemma. I almost exclusively fish for trout and wanted a boat that would hold up to the rocks that are sometimes found all over our rivers. I got a Hog Island and it has been a great choice. If I were you I would get a plastic drift boat and not worry about the rock. Stealthcraft and Boulder boat works are also great choices. You will need the toughness of plastic if you float Tennessee's Hi, or the 'Hooch in Georgia from Buford Dam. Not that you can't survive in another type boat, but you don't have to worry about plastic.

Also think about the size of the boat. For example, there are drops on the Hi and too small a boat will tend to "dive" and take on water.

Not all is bliss, my Hog Island is a tank, heavy, but the trade-off for worry free boating is worth it.

The Hog also has a boat motor mount that could be used for lakes.

Hope this helps and hope you get a good one.
JD

That Skiff looks sick! That would work on any body of water. Thanks!

JW51

Reaction score
Seems to me that there are a ton of low sided driftboats for sale these days, in fact I'd take a raft over a driftboat for any type of heavy rapids.

In my view driftboats are most well suited for easy to medium waters, really for slow water with a low sided boat in wind they are great.

I'd don't really see the point in a highside driftboat compared to a raft in terms of safety and practicality.

My dream setup is a lowside Boulder Boat Works Proguide, and an Aire Super Puma with downriver frame.

Maybe if I make it to the coast I'll need a jet powered river sled. We shall see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You would love the Boulder low profile. I agree with you wholeheartedly, though; in Whitewater above mild Class 3, use a raft!

kevind62

Reaction score
I've owned several boats of different sizes and styles over the past 40+ years. From a $500 skiff and 9.9 hp outboard to a $40K center console inshore fisher with all the bells and whistles. All in all I think I would have to agree with quest4adv. I'm down to one boat now. And on the verge of deciding to sell it too even though it's a low maintenance rig. Just had to replace the fuel pump on it. It has 18 hrs on it. Nothing wrong with the quality of the motor or fuel. It only has 18 hours on it and it's over 3 years old. I have to give a tip of the hat and two thumbs up to Evinrude. Even though it was 6 months out of warranty they covered the cost 100%. Simply because of the hours on the engine. Reason for low hours is the majority of the time spent on fishing trips with it is given to towing it to the launch and using the trolling motor 90% of the time on the water. Only actually have to run the motor an average of 20 - 30 minutes a trip from launch to fishing hole and back.
At some level of degree, they are all time consuming money pits. Not that I didn't enjoy the usage of any of them. I'm just at the age and point in my life that I have other things I'd like to spend my time and money on than cleaning and maintaining a boat. Well, the info isn't 100% correct. Technically, I still have at least two boats. A 16' crappie rig with the 25 eTec on it and an inflatable pontoon for fly fishing. I'll definitely keep the pontoon boat until I'm unable to row it. But even something as simple as that will require maintenance and repairs sooner or later. Replacing pontoons, oars, oar locks, etc.