Low Profile or Standard????

buffler razz

Reaction score
I see boats in both the standard or slightly higher profile and the low profile models. Not necessarily a skiff though. Is the low profile really an advantage, or hindrance? I've read about wind pushing the boat a bit, or is this marketing spin? Am I overthinking it?

S

smcnearn

Strong (20-30+mph) wind will definitely push a boat around and even having passengers sit down will make a difference.

That being said, I wouldn't want to take a lowsided boat down anything but the calmest and flattest of water.

I saw a lowside eat it (totally swamp and flip) on the Roaring Fork and then a normal sided boat come down right after them picking up their gear like it was no big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Low sided boats rule on tailwaters here in Wyoming, the low sides make it easier to get in and out of the boat and like you said, they don't catch the wind nearly as bad. For rivers like the A and B sections below Flaming Gorge you will see mostly high sided drift boats due to all the rapids. So it all depends on where you will be using your drift boat the most.

mt_flyfisher

Reaction score
I've had low profile drift boats for the past 10 years or so, and fish mostly on the Yellowstone, and other rivers in SW Montana. I think they handle the moderate white water on all the rivers I fish (3-4' high waves going down rapids, as an example) just fine, provided you're relatively proficient at handling your boat. As others have said, they are a godsend in windy conditions, and for us guys with short legs, they are easier to get in and out of the boat.

JW51

Reaction score
Low profile is a must with strong winds in the Paradise Valley and on the Missouri. Anything more than a Class 2-mild 3 we use a 15' SOTAR raft with rowing frame and self-bailing floor; greater margin for error. If you think you might get in trouble, back off :yikes: