New Drift Boat Loadout

sfender

Reaction score
Hello gents. I just purchased a new drift boat and while I wait on delivery I wanted to see how others outfitted their boats. :D

I will have plenty of dry storage but it seems that a waterproof bag or two would be nice and some tackle tray boxes would be nice. Patagonia has a nice bag I was looking at. I have seen some good set ups from guided trips that I was thinking of, but there are many options it seems.

I will have space for four rods and was thinking of setting them up differently depending on location and fishing conditions.

This will be my first boat so I am new to the best gear for this purpose.

Thanks for looking.

S

smcnearn

Congrats! What make/model did you go with? A few safety items I can think of...

Emergency Throw Bag or Two
A Good knife
Wire Snips
Emergency overnight kit (Mylar blankets, water purification, first aid kit, fire starting stuff)

You're going to want a long handle boat net if you don't have one yet. Fishpond nomad with the 3ft handle is pretty great.

I like to prerig a bunch of bugs so I only have to tie one knot to replace a break off while on the water. EX If I'm doing a triple nymph rig that day I tie the 3 nymphs up and wrap them around a large sponge to keep them from tangling. I'll have 5-6 rigs ready to tie on, just unwind one off the sponge and get back to fishing.

Oh one other thing.

For hot days or swamped boats!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sfender

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips! I went with a stealthcraft. Really like them and ready for my own :D

Never used a triple nymph rig. Going to have to try that for sure. Had not thought about an emergency kit, but will add that to the list.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Post up a photo when you get delivery of your new boat!

One thing I added to my boat is a stainless steel swivel for the anchor rope, it prevents the anchor rope from twisting up and makes reeling in the anchor much easier. I got mine from Mountain Drift boats in Victor, ID.
I have no idea what Stealth uses to hold down the boat to the trailer. My old boat used a long strap with a hook on each end that attached to the trailer. They now offer ratchet straps that coronet to each side of the trailer, each strap has a big hook that is pulled over the side of the boat and then you tighten the ratchet, way easier then usingvthosevlongvstraps and they don't tend to loosen when traveling over bumpy dirt roads like my old strap would.
Don't forget the PFD's for each person. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you use your boat on one of the lakes in Yellowstone NP that allows boats, they also requirevsomecsortbof emergency whistle or air horn.
I took my pontoon boat up to Lewis lake to fish the channel between it and Shoshone lake in the fall. I checked into the ranger station to get my fishing license and boat permit. When she tod me I needed a whistle, I told her I didn't have one and would take my chance on getting caught. LOL!

sfender

Reaction score
Good lists above so the only thing to add is TWO shots of 50 yard long nylon line. One at 3/8'th's inch the other at 1/2 inch.
Thanks, is there any specific use I should be aware of? Or just good to have to as needed?

---------- Post added at 04:52 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Post up a photo when you get delivery of your new boat!

One thing I added to my boat is a stainless steel swivel for the anchor rope, it prevents the anchor rope from twisting up and makes reeling in the anchor much easier. I got mine from Mountain Drift boats in Victor, ID.
I have no idea what Stealth uses to hold down the boat to the trailer. My old boat used a long strap with a hook on each end that attached to the trailer. They now offer ratchet straps that coronet to each side of the trailer, each strap has a big hook that is pulled over the side of the boat and then you tighten the ratchet, way easier then usingvthosevlongvstraps and they don't tend to loosen when traveling over bumpy dirt roads like my old strap would.
Don't forget the PFD's for each person. I'm not sure where you are located, but if you use your boat on one of the lakes in Yellowstone NP that allows boats, they also requirevsomecsortbof emergency whistle or air horn.
I took my pontoon boat up to Lewis lake to fish the channel between it and Shoshone lake in the fall. I checked into the ranger station to get my fishing license and boat permit. When she tod me I needed a whistle, I told her I didn't have one and would take my chance on getting caught. LOL!
Thanks for the tips!

Kyo

Reaction score
In Montana one PFD required per each passenger.
You don't have to wear them unless you're under
age 12 or 14 which escapes me at the moment.

Not sure what the NP fine is for not having the whistle,
forgetting your PFD in Montana is $85. per PFD.
Speaking from experience . . . :doh:

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:33 PM ----------

"They now offer ratchet straps that coronet to each side of the trailer, each strap has a big hook that is pulled over the side of the boat and then you tighten the ratchet,"

A quick peek at stealthcraft and their new trailers (with rollers and cat walk) show ratchet straps as standard equipment along with an over
sized winch. Hmmm

Stealthcraft Boats – High Performance Drift Boats

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you said that this is your first boat I'll hazard a guess that you haven't done a whole lot of rowing. I've suggested this on many threads and I'll do it again here. If there are any white water raft trip outfits in your area I suggest going on one. The reason is simple, at least it was to me when I took my first. I thought I knew how to work oars, had been rowing drifters since the mid 1990's but when I went on a white water trip and watched a guy half my age handle a huge raft with 7 passengers on it I was awestruck.

I learned more watching that fellow handle that boat in an hour and a half than I had learned in 13 years of floating rivers on the DIY program.

I no longer have a drift boat or raft but carry plenty of safety gear on my jet boat.

First Aid

Smoke and Flare Gun with extra flares.

Air Horn for signaling

Those three are the best for letting someone know you have an emergency. We never figure we'll face an emergency but as they say, better safe than sorry.............

Congrats on the new boat,

Ard

tcorfey

Reaction score
Don't skimp on the whistle, they are a lot easier to hear on the water compared to a yell. Everyone in my family has one attached to their life jacket and they wear their life jacket.

Regards,

Tim C.

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Don't skimp on the whistle, they are a lot easier to hear on the water compared to a yell. Everyone in my family has one attached to their life jacket and they wear their life jacket.

Regards,

Tim C.
Have a 'forecept' sort of thing with minor/use often tools that I clamp to my shirt ... includes my whistle. :army:

Edit: Forgot to add on why two shots of line in my boat. One can be used to help set up a tarp cover, heavy rain (most unusual around here), beach/camp 'shade,' and a boat cover, secure ground cover for tent/sleeping bags, 'roping the boat' down really nasty low water flow conditions, etc.

S

smcnearn

Since you said that this is your first boat I'll hazard a guess that you haven't done a whole lot of rowing. I've suggested this on many threads and I'll do it again here. If there are any white water raft trip outfits in your area I suggest going on one. The reason is simple, at least it was to me when I took my first. I thought I knew how to work oars, had been rowing drifters since the mid 1990's but when I went on a white water trip and watched a guy half my age handle a huge raft with 7 passengers on it I was awestruck.

I learned more watching that fellow handle that boat in an hour and a half than I had learned in 13 years of floating rivers on the DIY program.

I no longer have a drift boat or raft but carry plenty of safety gear on my jet boat.

First Aid

Smoke and Flare Gun with extra flares.

Air Horn for signaling

Those three are the best for letting someone know you have an emergency. We never figure we'll face an emergency but as they say, better safe than sorry.............

Congrats on the new boat,

Ard

It's the paddling downstream that gets me. Where we try to slow and back around obstacles, they aim for the lines they want and push into them in big water. Crazy stuff. YouTube fastfredruddock

Hoping to do a lot of whitewater stuff next year. Looks like too much fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
I would strongly suggest Pro-Loks for your oar lock/oar choice...

Everything else has pretty much been mentioned...

Mike will hook you up with a free rowing lesson, be sure to do it...