Pontoon Boat

dbgoff

Reaction score
Hopefully this question is appropriate for this discussion area. I am looking into replacing my one-man pontoon boat. I have a Classic Accessories pontoon from Costco that I have used for multiple floats on the Green River below Flaming Gorge. I typically wear fins and fish the banks with dries or streamers as a I float by. The Classic Accessories boat is a line snagging nightmare with numerous pins, clips and other protrusions on the frame that grab shooting line any chance they get. It is also too heavy for me to easily manhandle to the lake or stream by myself. I don't have a pickup and any boat I have either needs to be strapped to a roof rack or packed up in the hatch. These considerations have me looking at the Outcast Stealth Pro and the Scadden Renegade frameless boats. Not looking to start an argument over Outcast vs. Scadden as I'm well aware of the pros and cons of each. I am interested in hearing folks experience with these types of boats on rivers like the Upper Green, the South Fork, the Henry's Fork and the Madison as these are the streams where this boat would see action. Do you wear fins and fish as you go or just row to a gravel bar and stand up to fish? Do they handle the water you encounter on these rivers?

Last edited:

just4grins

Reaction score
I have had numerous Scadden boats over the years and have fished and floated the Green River too. Stopping and fishing where you can stand or anchoring is productive and fun. At 73, with two Scaddens in my garage I'm selling one. Here's my reason. I have the Assault XT in a customized frame or no frame set up. Comfortable raft, rows well either in a one person setup or two. You can use a towel on the roof of your car and push it up and tie down, or have someone go with you. The downside for me is my wife likes to go along, but can't row and doesn't want to fish. So I'm keeping my predator for stop and go fishing and easy transportation. The XT is only 10'6" and 54 lbs, and the Predator is one person and weighs about 35 lbs. I always fish alone, at times would be nice to have company, but it is what it is.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I have an NFO Rampage and love it for doing exactly what you are now doing. That said, my fishing buddy, Muzzy has the Outcast Stealth Pro and he loves that boat. It isn't nearly has ruggedly made, but he has had it for four years and has gotten a lot of use out of it.

al_a

Reaction score
You might also consider one of the little solo rafts which you can either row or propel yourself with swim fins, like the Water Master. Far lighter in weight, handles rapids up to Class 3 if you know what you're doing (though I probably wouldn't do class 3 in my Water Master with any gear along). Mine fits in the bed of my full size pickup truck, weighs in the neighborhood of 35 pounds, and is pretty darned comfortable for a full day's fishing. Only possible drawback is that you sit a little lower to the water than in the average pontoon craft.

dbgoff

Reaction score
Have any of you used your boats on the South Fork? With fins or without?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Have any of you used your boats on the South Fork? With fins or without?
I haven't but then my legs aren't strong enough with the fins in that current, it would probably be ok in the fall when the reduce the flow way down. In the spring in summer I don't see why not using the pontoon without the fins and just use it as a taxi to get from one fishy looking spot to the next.
That said, Kelly Glissmeyer told me once that his son and best fishing buddy floated the SF in pontoons and Kelly's son broke an oar so they had to strap the two pontoons together to make it to the boat ramp. So if you plan on floating the SF in a pontoon it wouldn't be a bad idea to carry a spare oar.

woolyworm

Reaction score
I have fished the south fork out of my kick boat/pontoon boat with fins. I always keep my oars with me in the event I get tired or have some bigger water to go through.

just4grins

Reaction score
I also have the single person sit-in pontoon called the Scadden NFO Predator. It's really neat. However, you are right about close to the water. My waders are now the "pants" version at my age versus the full chest wader. Should have worn the chest wades first time out. As I crested a boulder and dropped into the current my pants filled with water. Actually, made me laugh, no worries, just a bit refreshing.

flav

Reaction score
Sounds like all you need is a stripping apron, or if your toon already has one you need a better one, not a whole new boat. My old toon came with a horrible apron, it slants down towards my knees and has no lip on it so my slack line slides off into the water between my legs like there is no apron at all and ends up catching on all kinds of stuff. I now use a folding mesh stripping basket instead, and it works pretty well. Or if your toon didn't come with an apron they may have other models that do and may work with your boat and you can purchase.

fishgolf

Reaction score
I have a Bucks South Fork and have floated the Green several times. The boats you are considering will work fine there. There is really only one spot where you need to be setting up to maneuver around some large rocks. The rest of the float is non eventful.

losthwy

Montrose, Co.
Reaction score
I have been looking at various pontoons. One that I am considering is the Sea Eagle.
From research these appear to be the pros and cons
Pros- Well made, very light 42 pounds , frameless, high swivel seat and you can stand up in it.
Cons- Price $800
Any thoughts on these?