New winch

parsond

Reaction score
I would like to put a new winch on my trailer for my 1996 Hyde boat. I am having shoulder issues so I want a more powerful one, but do not want to buy an electric.

Any suggestions?

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Dan
I replaced my winch when I had my Hog Island Drift boat, as I have gotten older it just got too much for me to winch the boat onto the trailer, so I bought an oversized winch, this looks like the one I bought, but it came with the web strap and hook already installed, you might google the marine boat trailer parts places.

But I can tell you this, that 1400 lb winch makes pulling up a 400+ lb Hog Island Boat onto a trailer a breeze. With my old winch I used to use two hands that last three feet of winching, but with this new winch I could do it with one hand.

Amazon.com : Dutton-Lainson DL1402A 1400 Plated lb Pulling Winch : Boat Trailer Winches And Accessories : Sports & Outdoors

When I bought my new Clacka Eddy last spring, I initially considered swapping out the winches from the old boat to the new boat trailer, but after using the new one, it was so easy I never considered it again. With the new Clacka, at age 72, I can winch the boat onto the trailer with one hand, easy.

mt_flyfisher

Reaction score
I got a 2 Speed Fulton winch for my Clackacraft Eddy trailer this past year. I don't recall the model offhand, but it was the smallest 2 speed that Fulton offered, and even at that its about twice the size of the standard single speed winches that come on most drift boat trailers.

The thing with 2 speed winches is that you can easily change the gear ratio, and switch to the gear ratio that is half as easy to winch the boat onto the trailer, but you need to make twice the number of turns of the handle, and the boat only comes in half as fast - in other words much easier, but also much slower.

There are cases where this works out great -such as when you have a steep incline that makes it harder to winch in the boat, or if you have shoulder problems like you do, but there are also negatives to it as well, such as fast moving water where you want to get your boat out as fast as possible.

I got the 2 speed winch because I had frequently fished with my best friend, who is 81 years old, and thought it would make it easier for him to help me with getting the boat out of the water. However, age has slowed him down to where we won’t be fishing together as often from now on, and I’ve done most of the winching anyway, and don’t need to use the slower gear (yet, anyway).

I’ve thought of an electric winch, but then there’d be just one more mechanical thing to maintain, and another battery to contend with. (A friend told me to check with his sister about her electric winch. She’s a long time Montana fishing guide. However, before I could ask her how she liked it, she went back to the manual winch for the reasons I just mentioned.)

John

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
John
You nailed it, that Dutton winch I bought is just like you described, it takes twice the number or revolutions but they are way easier to do then my original winch.
I guess there is no free lunch, but for the Green river where Dan guides there really aren't any boat ramps where you have to rapidly get the boat out of the water.

jds108

Reaction score
Since it hasn't been mentioned - do your trailers come equipped with full width rollers? Mine has 3 - one that the boat contacts before it's on the trailer, then a couple that the boat rest on once fully on trailer.

It takes very little effort to move the boat over those rollers. I've unclipped the winch and tie downs and moved the boat on the trailer with my hands (I was playing around with front/rear balance).

Just something to consider.

mt_flyfisher

Reaction score
Since it hasn't been mentioned - do your trailers come equipped with full width rollers? Mine has 3 - one that the boat contacts before it's on the trailer, then a couple that the boat rest on once fully on trailer.

It takes very little effort to move the boat over those rollers. I've unclipped the winch and tie downs and moved the boat on the trailer with my hands (I was playing around with front/rear balance).

That’s another good option. I know the trailers that are made for RO, and perhaps Adipose boats, have at least 2 sets of rollers, but the trailers I have now and in the past have had just one set.

I had heard in the past that the extra rollers could result in premature wear on a fiberglass boat bottom, but I don’t know whether there is any truth to that, and it might not matter much anyway to someone who isn’t using their boat everyday anyway. (I’ll probably wear out before my boat bottom!)

---------- Post added at 09:44 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:43 AM ----------

That’s another good option. I know the trailers that are made for RO, and perhaps Adipose boats, have at least 2 sets of rollers, but the trailers I have now and in the past have had just one set.

I had heard in the past that the extra rollers could result in premature wear on a fiberglass boat bottom, but I don’t know whether there is any truth to that, and it might not matter much anyway to someone who isn’t using their boat everyday. (I’ll probably wear out before my boat bottom!)

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
Purchase a dual drive winch if you don't already have one, a longer handle can help too...

---------- Post added at 11:36 AM ---------- Previous post was at 11:31 AM ----------

I had heard in the past that the extra rollers could result in premature wear on a fiberglass boat bottom, but I don’t know whether there is any truth to that, and it might not matter much anyway to someone who isn’t using their boat everyday. (I’ll probably wear out before my boat bottom!)
This is 100% false...

Hyde and Clacka's have to be repaired where they ride on that single roller in the rear all the time... That's where they get leaks first unless you blast a boulder on the chine super hard...