A tire changing tip

stilly

Reaction score
For years I have carried a small tool kit when towing which included a 3/8" breaker bar and socket for changing a trailer tire. So today, in preparation for a long trip this spring, I set about replacing the tire and wheels on my trailer.

Grabbed my handy dandy tool kit and got to work. Was shocked to find out that I wasn't able to break the lug nuts loose with my set up. Grabbed a 1/2" breaker bar (considerably longer) set up and was actually able to apply enough torque to lift the tire off the ground and the lug nuts still wouldn't break loose! Finally, dug out my star wrench and was able to break them loose.

Proper torque for these lug nuts is 50'lbs. Whether they were over torqued at the factory or some corrosion was at work (threads looked ok though) who knows. I do know I would have been pretty frustrated to find this out on the side of the road!

Just a heads up that maybe, with the slow fishing times upon us, it would be a good time to make sure your lug nuts are torqued properly and removable.

weiliwen

Reaction score
I've had my tires so welded to the car that when I had a low tire recently, I had to crawl to a tire shop, where the employees needed to smack at the wheel with a sledgehammer to loosen it from the hub. That's Midwest corrosion for you! The fact that they HAD a sledgehammer handy means it must happen on a regular basis.

rangerrich99

Reaction score
Well at least you managed to get it off of there.

Something I learned from my dad when I was a little kid was if a nut wouldn't budge, try tightening it about a quarter inch (about an eighth of a turn), and then try loosening it. I admit I don't know why this works, but it does.

kevjr

Reaction score
To prevent some future frustration next time you have the tires off coat the lugs and where the rim meets the axle with some nickel anti-seize, stuff works like a charm.
Kevjr

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
While we're at it anyone who pulls a boat or snowmachines should check your wheel bearings and keep them well greased. If a bearing set blows up while you are towing you aren't going to know until the wheel is ready to come off the axle.

weiliwen

Reaction score
To prevent some future frustration next time you have the tires off coat the lugs and where the rim meets the axle with some nickel anti-seize, stuff works like a charm.
Kevjr
That's exactly what the folks at the tire store told me - they did it for me. Sure helped when I had a flat 6 months later.

philip43

Reaction score
Okay, when you tighten the lug nut on eighth of a turn, you break some of the scaling that occurs. An old time machinist taught me that 50+ years ago. Adios Philip

Reaction score
Another wise thing to do regarding tire changing, if you drive a pickup with the spare tire winched up under the box, is to occasionally let the tire down and spray the cable and winch with WD40. Otherwise, as I found out on my previous truck that I had never used the spare in 7 years, when you actually have a flat and need to let the spare down, it's rusted and stuck. Leaving you with no spare. So I had a $500 flat tire. $200 to have my flat repaired roadside and $300 for a new winch and cable assembly. When you think about the water, ice, snow, dirt, etc. that comes in contact with the spare tire winch assembly over time, it' no wonder it rusts tight. When I complained to my local GM dealer about what I regard as a lousy design, their response was, "well Ford does the same thing".

stilly

Reaction score
Ha! 100954, you just reminded me of another tire changing episode where I experienced the same problem! Was able to finally lower the tire but not without considerable effort. The bad thing is I was in nice clothes for a formal gig we were playing! What an ordeal!

Lots of good tips above and yes, anti-seize is definitely your friend!

kwb

Traveler of Both Time and Space
Reaction score
If your lug nuts are that locked up on there they clearly were not 1) Torqued properly and 2) no anti-seize was used...

As far as the advice to lower your spare tire down now and then and lube, yes, yes and yes...

Anti_Seize is soooooo important... Family has had a car dealership/auto salvage yard for almost 70 years in Southwest Michigan, I have changed a few tires in my day haha

I used to dismount about 40 tire/wheels everyday after school as a kid so we could sell the wheels and if the tires were good, those too...

Changed the hub on the side of the road of my GMC truck last week, I miss having a shop with every tool under the sun and hoists now that I live in Cali...

jangles

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Marana ,Hellazonia . Idaho , Utah , Mt , NM and Wy
For years I have carried a small tool kit when towing which included a 3/8" breaker bar and socket for changing a trailer tire. So today, in preparation for a long trip this spring, I set about replacing the tire and wheels on my trailer.

Grabbed my handy dandy tool kit and got to work. Was shocked to find out that I wasn't able to break the lug nuts loose with my set up. Grabbed a 1/2" breaker bar (considerably longer) set up and was actually able to apply enough torque to lift the tire off the ground and the lug nuts still wouldn't break loose! Finally, dug out my star wrench and was able to break them loose.

Proper torque for these lug nuts is 50'lbs. Whether they were over torqued at the factory or some corrosion was at work (threads looked ok though) who knows. I do know I would have been pretty frustrated to find this out on the side of the road!

Just a heads up that maybe, with the slow fishing times upon us, it would be a good time to make sure your lug nuts are torqued properly and removable.
I have this for those special occasions .

Attachments

JDR

Reaction score
Not specifically for tires, but maybe helpful. When replacing any fluids, ALWAYS remove the fill cap first.