Books on rowing a drift boat?

vpsihop1

Reaction score
Saw some stuff by Neale Streeks, not sure which book to get.

Looking to read a bit, and then practice on the water.

Been out a few times with my boat, but I'll take all the help I can get!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
No I idea where I put my old book but it came with my first drift boat. You don't have oars, you have (lack of a better word) 'sweeps.' 11-13 foot long?

Allie one's are good. Mine are wood; there is just something about a wood. Feel of wood in hand; Sound of the wood in oar locks "Squeek," Leather gloves, a bit of this on that oar, a bit on that ... Last trip I didn't make a cast; 'Mz Dog-Dog and' we just floated 10 miles.

Take boat to a lake, learn how to row; spin boat, row back and forth, point the boat, boat/people will weigh hundreds of pounds ... learning on your first drift is NOT a good 'Plan A.

Edit: Three people/gear, toss in the dog, can run close to 1,200 pounds; you have to think a head. The People are optional, Dog is not.

Mz Turkey says 'Wood-Woof' to you all; time for a curl up and nap. She snorts and wiggles, jammed in against, tucked in tight ... all good - all good. I can expect a sloppy wet kiss.

This flu stuff sucks.

fae

Last edited:

vpsihop1

Reaction score
Fred, I run some 8.5 foot "drift boat" oars made of laminated Sitka spruce from Barkley Sound, row nice and smooth and very light.

I've run a couple rivers now, let's say 10 times in total. Practiced at first on a lake. I'm looking more for rowing techniques feathering, crabbing, etc. Using the stern and flow of the river, how to approach bends. Stuff like that to read, and then give it a try on a couple rivers I'm comfortable with.

Does such a book exist?

jbcissell

Reaction score
Fred, I run some 8.5 foot "drift boat" oars made of laminated Sitka spruce from Barkley Sound, row nice and smooth and very light.

I've run a couple rivers now, let's say 10 times in total. Practiced at first on a lake. I'm looking more for rowing techniques feathering, crabbing, etc. Using the stern and flow of the river, how to approach bends. Stuff like that to read, and then give it a try on a couple rivers I'm comfortable with.

Does such a book exist?

This is the one you want

Amazon.com: Float-Fishing Strategies: Tactics and Techniques for Drift Boats, Rafts, and Pontoon Boats eBook: Neale Streeks: Kindle Store

Sent from my SM-P900 using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone

Does such a book exist?

It does, I will search my 'library' and see if I can find the darned thing. Mom is now long past, (stupid as it sounds I honestly don't know how old I am any more) I was sitting at her bed side when she passed. Would launch the drift boat, take her for a float ... she would point at a tree ... 'I like that tree.'

Pull into the beach, make her pancakes and eggs. She had little to say ... 'Food good.'

Her last days I slept on the floor next to her hospital bed. She was there for me in the beginning; I was going to be there for the end. Police Officer sitting next to me: 'YOu have to leave Mr. Evans. Looked at him and said NO FUXKING WAY.

I would read to her.

That was enough.

Mom's are special kind of people.