Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  2
  1. Default skagit from boat

Anyone routinely doing skagit casting from drift boat or flats boat? If you have tried it any pearls or wisdom?

Default Re: skagit from boat

Quote Originally Posted by fatbillybob View Post
    Anyone routinely doing skagit casting from drift boat or flats boat? If you have tried it any pearls or wisdom?
    I do it all the time. In fact, for physical reasons I cannot wade any more, so all my steelheading is now done from a power drifter. My only recommendations is to realize that there are a few speycasts that are tough to do from a boat, especially the back of the boat. I get all the distance I need and probably have better control over the line (mending, etc.) than I do when wading.

3. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Default Re: skagit from boat

I've done it many times as well. I like to stand in the bow and use a cast with a downstream anchor, double spey usually. This keeps your D loop away from the boat and you can cast to either side of the boat. If the wind is blowing upstream, move to the back of the boat and use an upstream anchored cast like a snap T or perry poke.
    Start with just your head out of the rod tip, then lengthen your cast 3 feet, and keep doing that till you're casting about as far as comfortable. Then reel in, pull anchor and drift down 20 feet, drop anchor, and do it all over again. This way you can cover an entire run almost like you're stepping down after each cast.
    I've used skagit, scandi, and mid belly lines out of a boat. It works great, just keep your anchor and D loop away from the boat and it's all good.

5. Likes jr spey liked this post