Thanks Thanks:  3
Likes Likes:  36
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Drift boat fishing

Quote Originally Posted by huronfly View Post
    Spey casting from a drift boat was really easy, actually I found shooting line much easier than if I was wading. The fact that the running line was not being pulled by the current made casting very, very easy and made for a great experience.

On the other hand I've done spey casting while seated in a frameless raft and it was a major pain. Seated spey casting does not work too well, for me at least, hard to get your core and leg muscles involved... Also, shooting line was a pain as it was getting caught on my boots seemingly every other cast.
    The boats I use are fitted with thwart boards made of marine sheet ply rather than crossed slats to minimise line catching and they do the job but, if your boots are getting snagged, maybe a line tray or stripping basket would make life easier?
    I know what you mean about 'core muscles' but if your distance is reduced by the stance at least you can move the raft/boat closer to your objective if/when you need to. I think a centrally placed swivel seat helps to take the strain off a twisted back and allows better leg use than a simple plank across the stern - but it means dedicating the boat to the job.

Iíve always viewed flyfishing for trout as somewhat of a monied personís sport and fishing from a boat particularly so. I saved for the better part of a year to make my first trek to Montana in 1983. At the time fishing from a boat with a guide was well beyond my means. I frequently thought to myself, ďone day I will own a drift boat.Ē As I progressed through life and my career, what were once deemed extravagances became common place. But, my roots remained those of a poor kid walking and wading.

Now that I am older and can afford a drifter or a raft I am reluctant to purchase one. I like to wade. It takes me back to my roots. Iím comfortable with it. Fishing from a moving boat seems like Iím cheating. Iím sure itís similar to the feel some of you have about indicator fishing.

For a time I owned a place about 45 minutes from Craig. I bought Clacka and had big plans. I bet I slid that boat into the river less than a dozen times. I also learned rowing a boat is easy, until it is not.

The big water near my current home, the upper Beaverhead, doesnít lend itself to wade fishing ó except in a few spots. So, Iím left with buying another boat (raft). I need an attitude adjustment as Iím not particularly looking forward to becoming reacquainted with the sticks. Well maybe in a perverse way I am. I am determined to be better than I was 15 years ago.

My vote ó use the boat primarily for transportation.

For those on here who stop by and fish with me (I encourage those who want to be friendly and in the neighborhood to shoot me a pm), be forewarned. Some things I do pretty well. Rowing isnít one of them. Donít expect the standard 35-40 foot from the bank glide down the river. I get it done, but Iím older and the Beaverhead winds itís way through a willow jungle. But, it will be fun.

3. Likes dillon, Lewis Chessman, mcnerney, k_e_v liked this post

The beav can be hazardous, indeed. Once I almost dumped the clacka under the high bridge. On the lower river overhanging willows have snatched rods from the boat, but luckily got them back. Low farm land bridges can pose problems too. Be prepared to duck or haul the boat around them. I've sadly, almost given up the area, for lack of foot access, which is my preference too. We used, too buy access to the Red Rock for cheap, but some billionaire owns the property now. There is much water in mt we never get to see, even with a boat, or bucks. Even with the stream access it's difficult to impossible. Rant over...

Don't get me started on pdx slough...

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by dillon View Post
    The beav can be hazardous, indeed. Once I almost dumped the clacka under the high bridge. On the lower river overhanging willows have snatched rods from the boat, but luckily got them back. Low farm land bridges can pose problems too. Be prepared to duck or haul the boat around them. I've sadly, almost given up the area, for lack of foot access, which is my preference too. We used, too buy access to the Red Rock for cheap, but some billionaire owns the property now. There is much water in mt we never get to see, even with a boat, or bucks. Even with the stream access it's difficult to impossible. Rant over...

Don't get me started on pdx slough...
    I passed the word to S&S. I own a stretch upstream from Turnerís place. You guys are welcome to call this summer when you make your annual pilgrimage.

I never fish the Beav north of Dillon. Iíd rather head over to the Ruby and risk getting yelled at ó despite accessing the river legally.

The sweeps into and just below High Bridge are what drive my hesitation to buy an Adipose style skiff over a raft. There is not a lot of room to maneuver.

I fished the slough a long time ago and again last year. I was expecting something very different. With the reclamation it reminded me of a mini-Beav.

7. Thanks dillon thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney liked this post

Yes, he told me about it. Thanks. Sweetandsalt has quite a BH float trip story. Thankfully, I'm not in it...

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post
  10. Default Re: Drift boat fishing

Quote Originally Posted by Redrock View Post
    I passed the word to S&S. I own a stretch upstream from Turnerís place. You guys are welcome to call this summer when you make your annual pilgrimage.

I never fish the Beav north of Dillon. Iíd rather head over to the Ruby and risk getting yelled at ó despite accessing the river legally.

The sweeps into and just below High Bridge are what drive my hesitation to buy an Adipose style skiff over a raft. There is not a lot of room to maneuver.

I fished the slough a long time ago and again last year. I was expecting something very different. With the reclamation it reminded me of a mini-Beav.
    I actually like to row about as much as I like to fish now. I found the better I got on the sticks, the more efficient I got so it isn't that bad on me unless I really need to slow the boat in heavy water. But to be fair I am only 36 and mountain and road bike a fair amount so I'm in pretty good shape.

I'll shoot you a pm. I'll row for you. My wife and I try to come out once a year in the fall. May actually bring my boat out this year. I have a skiff because I really only float tailwaters around here. Not much white water.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

11. Thanks Redrock thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, kevind62 liked this post
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jbcissell View Post
    I actually like to row about as much as I like to fish now. I found the better I got on the sticks, the more efficient I got so it isn't that bad on me unless I really need to slow the boat in heavy water. But to be fair I am only 36 and mountain and road bike a fair amount so I'm in pretty good shape.
    I agree, rowing a drift boat is very addicting!
    Larry

13. Likes jbcissell, kevind62, k_e_v liked this post

I prefer to get out and wade, but will happily anchor and cast if the water is too deep or swift to wade.
    Casting while drifting has always been unsatisfying to me. I like to cover water throughly and you just can't do that drifting. Even worse is fighting a fish while you're drifting. I love that first strong run a fish makes and hopefully pulls line off my reel, but if you're drifting with the fish that seldom happens.

15. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by flav View Post
    I prefer to get out and wade, but will happily anchor and cast if the water is too deep or swift to wade.
    Casting while drifting has always been unsatisfying to me. I like to cover water throughly and you just can't do that drifting. Even worse is fighting a fish while you're drifting. I love that first strong run a fish makes and hopefully pulls line off my reel, but if you're drifting with the fish that seldom happens.
    This. You captured how I feel about float fishing. Anchoring on a pod of risers is a blast.

17. Likes mcnerney liked this post
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123