Mad Cow frames and boxes

gutterpunk

Reaction score
Anyone have them? I've seen reviews on Mountain Buzz but thought the Rocky Mountain area folks here might have experience. I just bought a new raft and Mad Cow in Bozeman is building the frame and two boxes. I like that it's all custom (the raft ships right to them to fit) to be dialed from the start, a local business, and a little over-built. I had some sticker shock at first, but when I added up all the extras on a base $800 NRS frame it came out at almost as much.

I think I'm going to be very happy with the setup. I'd like to hear from others who have used Mad Cow metalworks gear.

gutterpunk

Reaction score
I have exhausted myself on raft and drift boat research. Send me a PM with what you're in the market for and we can trade notes.

osseous

Reaction score
He's widely regarded to be the best- I'll be shocked if you're not thrilled with the results.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Kyo

Reaction score
Why did you need the custom frame? Or let me rephrase that what are you gaining on extra dollars. Only thing I saw different on their site was the dog seat in back. But now that we have a puppy in the family again - it certainly caught my eye. :p

Redrock

Reaction score
My home water is the upper Beaverhead. I take short floats, so I don’t need an expedition size raft. Normally I fish with one other person. I would like the smallest, lightest raft I can get away with on that type of flat water. Other rivers I frequent would include the upper Big Hole and the Henry’s Fork down around Ashton.

I see that 13’6” is a pretty popular length. Is there a distinct advantage over say a 12’6”? When you order the frame do you also order the rowing box seat? It would be nice to have platforms and thigh bars, but I’m concerned the added weight would push the raft to weigh something along the lines of a skiff. Do any of you have the platform bottom option? I normally have 4 rods for 2-3 fishermen on the boat — two gp 5s, a 4 and a 6. Is it possible to add rod dogs on the starboard gunnel as well as the standard port side configuration?

Thanks.

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
12'6 is not gonna work with 3 guys- it'll row like a barge. Another thing to look out for is full floors. Consider a raft with a drop stitch floor instead. The Sotar Strike or the Jack's Plastic fishing raft (name escapes me) would be great for the rivers you mention. With the Jack's having the drop stitch. Maravia is another. A narrow 13' is a good starting point. If you need a little platform for an angler to stand on, that's a lot of weight savings compared to big sheets of alu. "Light is right" is a great mantra when building out a fishing raft- particularly when you're going to be the primary oarsman. Buy good oars, too!

Redrock

Reaction score
Every raft I’ve ever rowed felt like I was rowing a barge! But, all my experience has been expedition rafting.

Thanks for the advice!

Kyo

Reaction score
Just a lurker/dreamer here but will someday
need a raft to hit some of our streams with
limited access. Thanks for sharing. -k-

Last edited:

osseous

Reaction score
There's a great product out there for fishermen that I wanted to make people aware of- I have it on my Sotar fishing Cataraft. It's a MUCH better way to set your anchor rope than the NRS style opposing cam type stolen from the sailing industry. It's called a Leelock. If you're building a frame, it's worth sourcing one- makes life a lot easier. Setting the anchor is as easy as dropping the rope. Retrieving it? Just start pulling.

802flyfish

Reaction score
By the time you buy everything, you'll be in the same price range as a skiff. If you aren't doing any white water, why are you interested in a raft?

lopsangsherpa

Reaction score
Hey 802 one other thing that maybe you do or don't know is that mad cow is IAGB certified so if you ever do the smith you are bear compliant. Not everyone has caught onto certified bear containers but as time goes on more and more will be I'm sure. Nice to have equipment that is ready to go from that stand point. Would be a pretty tough look if you showed up and got turned away because your dry box wasn't certified and you had to buy another one. Just a thought.

I don't own mad cow but know people who do and they are bullet proof. Good purchase, spend the money and get the best, you'll seldom regret it.

gutterpunk

Reaction score
By the time you buy everything, you'll be in the same price range as a skiff. If you aren't doing any white water, why are you interested in a raft?
I was going to reply to the questions and observations but this made me certain it wasn't worth it. Pitching a raft and frame like you're an early investor then a post later questioning why someone would buy a raft--doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm slow and missed something, but I'll reply with good sense when others start making some.

802flyfish

Reaction score
It's a couple hundred more to get the reinforced box that is IGBC certified from Mad Cow. I think it's mostly overkill for what most people are doing. Would be nice on the Smith river, unless you already have a Yeti or bear fence.

802flyfish

Reaction score
I was going to reply to the questions and observations but this made me certain it wasn't worth it. Pitching a raft and frame like you're an early investor then a post later questioning why someone would buy a raft--doesn't make sense to me. Maybe I'm slow and missed something, but I'll reply with good sense when others start making some.
Maybe your slow..

Last edited: