Mini Drifter Oar Recommendations

McTodd

Reaction score
I’m about to purchase my first boat, a 10’ mini drifter. I’m getting it used but the guy doesn’t have his oars any more so I’m Looking for recommendations.
With such a small boat I’m size is a factor but I’m
Not sure how...?
Thanks!

osseous

Reaction score
Check out the Sawyer Stealth or the Cataract mini magnum

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Plus 1 on what osseous recommends,

My own recent experience in the oar market has taught me something. This will come down to a couple of points, are you going into this with a specific budget in mind? Oars have evolved a whole bunch from what I had back in the early 90's and the carbon shaft oars are very nice. Problem is nice but costly......... If you find a good hollow shaft oar that meets both your needs and budget capabilities then consider going the extra mile and getting counterbalanced oars. If you aren't familiar with the concept just start asking around to folks who use drift boats frequently.

osseous

Reaction score
...just be sure to use tethers!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

al_a

Reaction score
A small boat probably requires shorter oars. Rule of thumb on oar length--measure the width of the boat at the oarlocks. Divide by 2. Multiply that result by 3 and you get the optimal oar length. For instance, my Hyde Sportsman's Drifter, a two person drift boat, is about 5 feet wide at the oarlocks. Divide 5 feet by 2--2.5 feet. Multiply by 3--7.5 feet. Most oar companies sell oars in lengths at 6 inch increments, and several of the oar companies I've been looking at don't have stock oars shorter than 8 feet, so I had to look for a while before finding a company that offers stock 7.5 ft. oars. I'm looking a Pro-Loks oars because they DO offer stock 7.5 foot oars.