Rowing in the dark

Troutbum12

Reaction score
Does anyone have any suggestions on how to "mark" their oar handles so one can keep the blades at the correct angle for rowing at night? I would prefer not to use oar rights as I don't need them during the daylight or dusk hours. Does one use tape where the fingers touch the oars, or some other method to help me know when I'm holding the oars properly?

Thanks for any suggestions.

dude02

Reaction score
On my Sawyers, there is a small screw that holds the handle in place. The screw is aligned with the blade in the vertical position. If the screw is pointed up, you are in business. Might check your oars to see if there is some type of marker already in place. The screw is easy to feel.

Moulded grips, as mentioned above.

durangobrad

Reaction score
With enough time and practice I can just feel if they are right or not. Focus on the pressure and resistance with each stroke and you will know if they are vertical or slightly feathered, etc.

canehunter

Reaction score
My cataract oars have thumb notches. From their website:
"An innovative thumb notch on the end of the rubber-cushioned handles gives you superior orientation of your blade while keeping your eyes on what lies ahead."

osseous

Reaction score
My cataract oars have thumb notches. From their website:
"An innovative thumb notch on the end of the rubber-cushioned handles gives you superior orientation of your blade while keeping your eyes on what lies ahead."
That's a fairly recent addition- wish mine had that

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
You guys must be way better at rowing than I am, I've only been caught on one of these rivers at dark once and that'll never happen again. Late fall is when things get dark early here and a few years ago I was bringing a 21 foot Fish Rite to a launch site coming from about 11 miles upriver. We stayed for about 1/2 hour too long and I ended up pulling hard for that launch. By the time I was homing in it was fully dark and nerves were tight as a mainspring. That was a miscalculation and it was scary. I hope you are talking about still water rowing if it's dark.

osseous

Reaction score
Ard- one of the popular trips here in Colorado is to float Glenwood Canyon on the Colorado on a full moon. It's mello whitewater- and our boats are really capable. You could ship the oars and just drift. The hot springs can be quite entertaining...

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I get it now, the concept just sounded weird because I was relating it to here. These take outs tend to be unlit and the rivers swift so if you miss a take out you're going to have a long night or worse.

osseous

Reaction score
I get it now, the concept just sounded weird because I was relating it to here. These take outs tend to be unlit and the rivers swift so if you miss a take out you're going to have a long night or worse.
Not to mention the unpredictable nature of some shuttle services... which is why I carry a dirt bike on a hitch rack, and self-shuttle. Makes night fishing floats a lot less stressful- and I have the river all to myself

canehunter

Reaction score
You guys must be way better at rowing than I am, I've only been caught on one of these rivers at dark once and that'll never happen again. Late fall is when things get dark early here and a few years ago I was bringing a 21 foot Fish Rite to a launch site coming from about 11 miles upriver. We stayed for about 1/2 hour too long and I ended up pulling hard for that launch. By the time I was homing in it was fully dark and nerves were tight as a mainspring. That was a miscalculation and it was scary. I hope you are talking about still water rowing if it's dark.
I did the last 1.5 miles in the dark less than two weeks ago. We were anchored next to some rising fish, probably the best seam of rising fish I've seen all season. We stayed on those fish for about 30 minutes. We knew that meant rowing the last while in the dark (before our 3-hour drive home to be at work the next morning) but since we had headlamps we decided the rising fish demanded our attention instead. We only high centered once on the row out and I was in bed before 1:30 am. Luckily the river we were on wasn't too extreme. I wouldn't have been an advocate for it on other rivers.

Last edited:

Bigfly

Reaction score
I have learned a few stretches of river well enough to go in the dark.....I love pounding the bank with a streamer and hearing the take of a fish that was hiding all day.
Mousing on meadow sections....oh ya. Rowing by ear is cool...."Rock coming up on the right!!!"
The float down from Ora on the Henry's fork for instance....
Pick a favorite bit of water and memorize it during the day, then row it in partial darkness, then go total dark for added value.
Partly for excitement, partly for fish!
As was mentioned....don't miss the take out.....I came very close one night..
Take a head light, or two...

Jim

steelheadfred

Reaction score
For this particular situation the answer is Carrots.. Helps with your night vision for night time navigation. Knowledge of the area from daytime trips and use of natural lighting and shadows really helps. I steelhead fish on the Deschutes each Oct/Nov and row my pontoon boat across the river to the good runs. Often fish to last legal light and then pull off as it get dark. Usually only a1/2 mile float to pullout. Steep canyons but usually enough light and shadows to not need headlamps. (I use oar rights as I am still a novice at running the river. Oar-rights allow me to focus on navigation and working the last little stretch of technical water just before the take out).

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Fred,

Welcome to the forum :)

Your info says member since 2010 but this is the first post I ever saw so...…. welcome to posting.