Thanks Thanks:  0
Likes Likes:  6

Default Newbie question about shuttling between river accesses

I'll be picking up a raft in the spring. Super excited! The only issue I'm seeing is that my wife and I have 1 car (saves us a load of money in the long run). Most of the floats will be with her. Not too concerned when I go with friends as they'll have a car.

I've read about bringing a bike but that seems like it would shorten your float unless you were okay with a long ride. Does anyone have any alternative ways to shuttle? Is hitch hiking the only other option?

Most of the floating will be done on Southwest Montana rivers like the Yellowstone and Madison. Thanks!

Default Re: Newbie question about shuttling between river accesses

Check for shuttles in the area. I bet there are some.
    Mainline the blueline

3. Likes rusty 54, mcnerney, ejsell liked this post

There is actually an app for that- (I believe it covers your area) Do a little Googling. Also, all of the fly shops will be able to hook you up with a shuttle. Stop in and speak with them about it.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

5. Likes mcnerney liked this post
    Detroit Lakes, Minnesota and Bozeman, Montana

The rivers you mentioned, as well as most if not all rivers that are frequently floated in SW Montana have shuttle services available. Ask any local fly shop. The last time I used one on the Madison I think it was $30. But that was two years ago. Obviously, the longer the distance between put-in and take-out, the greater the cost. I’ve seen a few raft trailers with a ramp on the front for a small motorcycle or scooter.

7. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Be picky with your shuttle haha The squared away dudes in the shop aren’t doing the driving. Ive had drivers smoke in my truck (cigarette burn on the visor of a week old truck) and food and drink stains.

9. Likes mcnerney liked this post

Yep, shuttle services are available for those rivers, and there really aren't any other good choices for shuttles if you only have one vehicle and your friends aren't willing to help You can go online to shuttlesnap to arrange shuttles in that area, but I am a bit of a Luddite and still prefer to call the shuttle service directly to arrange my shuttles. You just call, tell them where and when you are putting in and taking out, give them your vehicle description and license plate number, and where you'll leave your keys (most leave them in the gas cap) and where they should leave the keys when they've parked your vehicle. They'll tell you how much it costs (usually $25-40 depending upon how far away it is) and ask where you'll leave the money (usually under the visor on the driver's side). The shuttlers on the Yellowstone are usually very reliable.