Driftless trip!

brookfieldangler

Reaction score
`In case you don't know, the driftless region is an amazing section of ice cold streams in the upper Midwest and a geological wonder.

I really don't fully understand the technical details but it seems as if the last round of glaciers to come across the US skipped this part. Underneath the surface, are caves and channels that carry air over underground ice which results in some very cold streams. For a more in depth explanation, you can go here (Defining the “Driftless Area”) or use that Google thing.

All I know for sure is that I had never been there and have been dying to go so I did just that. I was joined by Teddy from Lucid Fishing (and BFA writer) and Sam - aka Smallieman. We all met at my place around four in the morning, loaded up the truck, and headed out for the three and half hour drive.

By the time we arrived, the sun was rising above the never ending tree line and exposing the landscape's amazing beauty. These are the views of fly fishing legend and undoubtedly the source of countless pictures and paintings that hang on the walls of those who admire the blue lines on a map that carved these landscapes.

After admiring natures amazing handy work for a few minutes, we suited up and hit the water in search of whatever trout we could fool into thinking our tiny little flies were real food.

In the end, I have no idea how many fish we collectively caught but I can say that there were virtually no stretches of time that one of us wasn't either hooked up, landing a fish, or missing a strike.

We stuck around until just past eight o'clock that evening hoping for a hatch that never really happened but at that point in time, none of us really cared. The day was spectacular and we were all ready to start the long drive home.

With that, here are some pictures to tell the rest of the story