The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > >

Driftless Region Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin

Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  442
Dislikes Dislikes:  0

Old 07-14-2017, 06:02 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future
Default Re: 2017 Driftless Trout Pics and Reports

Testing pic display. Nice brook trout from a few trips ago on July 1st. It was caught on a parachute Adams 5x tippet on my 3WT fly rod.

Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by unknownflyman; 07-16-2017 at 04:36 PM.
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 07-25-2017, 03:39 PM

lenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the rough

Jeremy and Joshua Hoff

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 6 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 08-11-2017, 01:41 PM

lenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the roughlenh is a jewel in the rough

14 to hand this morning

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Old 09-03-2017, 07:20 AM

ontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of lightontheflymn is a glorious beacon of light

I hadn't had a chance to get out on my own and fish for a while, so I took yesterday and hit it pretty hard.

The tricos came off as one would expect for this time of year, combined with cooler than normal air temperatures. It all blew up around 9:30, which was pretty neat to be int he middle of an emergance. I put on a #20 trico dun and trailed it with a #22 trico spinner.

This little guy gives you an idea of how gorged they were.

A few shots of a few fish from the hatch.

I broke for lunch after the spinner fall dwindled by 11:00 and fired up some hopper patterns.

Post Thanks / Like - 1 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Thanks smarty140 thanked for this post
Likes mcnerney, GrtLksMarlin, ia_trouter liked this post
Old 09-03-2017, 09:02 AM

boisker will become famous soon enough

Some lovely fish...
I hadn't realised how much easier and hence cheaper the driftless was to get to from the UK.
Getting away to the US somewhere like Montana would be very, very tricky on my own... doubt the wife would be over joyed at me spanking so much on a solo trip fishing, but Driftless I may just be able to argue the case for
I've spent quite a bit of time looking into it and it looks stunning, more like the size of river/streams I fish in the UK... a couple of years out to my 50th, which is in Jan, we are already trying to decide on whether to head back to NZ together or Montana/Idaho/Wyoming triangle- we've both always wanted to visit Yellowstone etc.... but I reckon I could possibly swing a joint trip the summer after my 50th and a quick 10 days in driftless the summer before... best start building some brownie points
Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 2 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ontheflymn, ia_trouter liked this post
Old 09-17-2017, 10:02 PM

Post Thanks / Like - 0 Thanks, 3 Likes, 0 Dislikes
Likes ejsell, unknownflyman, GrtLksMarlin liked this post
Old Yesterday, 03:50 PM

unknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant futureunknownflyman has a brilliant future

Nice brown! Got a few good ones this late summer, but my brook trout are scarce since July.
Old Yesterday, 05:06 PM

ia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond reputeia_trouter has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by boisker View Post
Some lovely fish...
I hadn't realised how much easier and hence cheaper the driftless was to get to from the UK.
Getting away to the US somewhere like Montana would be very, very tricky on my own... doubt the wife would be over joyed at me spanking so much on a solo trip fishing, but Driftless I may just be able to argue the case for
I've spent quite a bit of time looking into it and it looks stunning, more like the size of river/streams I fish in the UK... a couple of years out to my 50th, which is in Jan, we are already trying to decide on whether to head back to NZ together or Montana/Idaho/Wyoming triangle- we've both always wanted to visit Yellowstone etc.... but I reckon I could possibly swing a joint trip the summer after my 50th and a quick 10 days in driftless the summer before... best start building some brownie points
I don't know if I would recommend a full 10 days in the Driftless, but it would sure be worthy of some of your time. Lodging and quality guides cost a small fraction of a western destination. I'm pretty sure a few of the guys here would take you out for a day or two. The Driftless is spread out over three states, but there are countless streams within about a 150 mile radius.