2017 Driftless Gang Get-Togethers?

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Let me throw this out there and see where it goes, or not. I'd like to meet more of the Driftless NAFFF gang this year.

Some have busy schedules so maybe more than one day to increase attendance at one event or the other. I bet somebody not actually from the Driftless would travel with enough notice. And just to get it started,...

How about a two site tour? Maybe one in Iowa on the famous streams Bear-Waterloo-French. Then another in WISCO or MN?

I propose we schedule when weather has a high chance of being reasonable.

I propose we pick locations where options are available for variable income levels. Sharing a large cabin, local camping options,etc. Whatever makes it easy for all. (I got a kid in college, it's an issue for me for the next year or so and I want to fish).

Somewhat near a tourist attraction is fine, maybe preferable. Some of us have wives that don't fly fish. They should be welcome and have something to entertain themselves with if they don't happen to fish. I just have a feeling a couple guys from far away might travel for a couple days of our local fly fishing cuisine. It would be fun.

Just a start to the conversation, let me know your thoughts. I'm in charge of nothing. Just an idea I think might work. :)

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Yeah I'm up for where ever, let's pick a sweet river, more room the better, all might have to take an oath of secrecy.

I hearby declare. As a driftless ruffian to never divulge any river locations to anyone outside the group... all information regarding flies, gear, fly fishing tactics are deemed for your eyes only- classified. :) LOL

Oh by the way I canceled the driftless ruffian group because it wasn't private everyone could see what we were talking about. No one used it anyway.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Yeah I'm up for where ever, let's pick a sweet river, more room the better, all might have to take an oath of secrecy.

I hearby declare. As a driftless ruffian to never divulge any river locations to anyone outside the group... all information regarding flies, gear, fly fishing tactics are deemed for your eyes only- classified.
LOL, you know I am very against public discussion of specific waters. There are only a few streams in IA so famous I don't mind mentioning them and I already did. We would only need a couple locations to base camp from. Conditions change with the weather and we would have no real need to dial it in precisely in advance. At least publicly. The PM group feature here works fine for specific water discussions. we'll have to announce a general location so folks can book a cabin, hotel campground etc. It only takes about 6 people to make this a forum "event". I don't think that will be too hard.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I have been looking at bear for awhile, cabins on the river too. Fish pics look impressive. 3 hours away from me not bad.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I have been looking at bear for awhile, cabins on the river too. Fish pics look impressive. 3 hours away from me not bad.
The cabins look nice. Looks like a good HQ. Like anywhere else you have to walk more than two minutes to solitude, but Bear Creek Cabins is within a reasonable drive of a ton of good water. About the best IA has to offer IMO. There are a lot of decent streams but you are driving 30+ minutes to lodging, This is one of the few exceptions.

luj333

Reaction score
I've fished the bear before. I'm a few hours out, but may be interested if this comes together depending on timing.

weiliwen

Reaction score
Count me in, especially if it's in Iowa, where I'v never fished, if one of you Iowans don't mind showing me a stream or two. Same thing with Minnesota.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I would definitely be in if allowed. A little advance warning on the date and I am flexible. And I will provide casting lessons and my encyclopedic knowledge of all things fly fishing free of charge.:eek::eek:

kev
Sounds great. We have lots of Guest Presenters planned already.

Itch is going to do a photography segment on "how to edit a little winter Drifless Brown PIC so it looks extra mean on the internet" Hopefully he'll make some sammitches after that because we know he can cook his azz off from all his PICs. :D

I got unknownlflyman down for Jedi Spey-Bomb casting tactics on a 15ft wide stream. :)

I'm thinking about doing a segment on "How to hide inside the house where it's warm and pretend I fly fish on the internet all winter". I've got this subject nailed down like a champion. :)

Seriously though, we'll see who is interested and go from there. If more than a few are interested a perfect date will be next to impossible to choose. Perhaps we can stretch it over a few days for max participation, even if most can only attend one day. I'm not in charge of anything. Just throwing out ideas for now. I do think two locations, north and south, several months apart is a good idea to give everyone a chance without driving 500 miles. We have a few guys in the heart that could range either event easily if they want to. I can travel, and I know Kent (kcdeal) would be game.

Last edited:

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
I think whoever wants to show up and fish show up. It's a public post no invite needed.

Hey we are staying and fishing the X river sat/Sunday on x date. Meet at x point at 7am or whatever.

I've been to some Spey clave's very fun, some guys did some casting demos, people try out other people's gear and cast, food, and then we all went swinging for steelhead.

Tie some flies at the campsite or cabin, all very casual. Made some great friends we still talk and fish years later.

Not bringing the spey rod, you gotta meet me on the river during the steelhead season for that.

But anyway, yeah it's pretty fun, we all have stuff in common and what we love so from what I've seen people have a good time and conversation is pretty easy, spread out and fish.

Winter late winter might be a good time to do this, river is more stable, less people around, fishing is generally good.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I think whoever wants to show up and fish show up. It's a public post no invite needed.

Hey we are staying and fishing the X river sat/Sunday on x date. Meet at x point at 7am or whatever.

I've been to some Spey clave's very fun, some guys did some casting demos, people try out other people's gear and cast, food, and then we all went swinging for steelhead.

Tie some flies at the campsite or cabin, all very casual. Made some great friends we still talk and fish years later.

Not bringing the spey rod, you gotta meet me on the river during the steelhead season for that.

But anyway, yeah it's pretty fun, we all have stuff in common and what we love so from what I've seen people have a good time and conversation is pretty easy, spread out and fish.

Winter late winter might be a good time to do this, river is more stable, less people around, fishing is generally good.
That sounds good. Just need to set a date way in advance so folks can plan. That may take us out of winter which is probably best anyway, I don't mind driving 50 miles to fish winter conditions but no need in asking somebody from much farther away to do that when it's easily avoidable. I'll throw out early April as an opening offer for the southern Driftless site. May perhaps for the northern location? And yes of course nobody needs an invite, but we could let those who speak up on this thread help pick the date for max participation.

itchmesir

Reaction score
Great idea. And I'm down if it includes a Sunday. Though i could probably squeak out a Saturday too with enough notice. Bear Creek Cabins would be a nice central location imo. It puts you on some nice Iowan water, while other streams are within minutes, and not far from a lot of low pressure water in Minnesota. The cabins are really nice and the bigger ones rather affordable when split enough ways.

Unknownflyman

Reaction score
Ok, it looks like we have a good central meeting spot at bear creek. How much notice is good? Certainly we want decent weather preferablely above 20 degrees.

Dewayne might have a better idea about that, beginning of February looks cold. A week notcice is fine with me. And weekend is good. A three hour drive south isn't anything to me. I can look at the bear creek site and see what they have for cabins available.

April is really bad for me, I'm focused on steelhead end of march through April.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Ok, it looks like we have a good central meeting spot at bear creek. How much notice is good? Certainly we want decent weather preferablely above 20 degrees.

Dewayne might have a better idea about that, beginning of February looks cold. A week notcice is fine with me. And weekend is good. A three hour drive south isn't anything to me. I can look at the bear creek site and see what they have for cabins available.

April is really bad for me, I'm focused on steelhead end of march through April.
I would like to make this a democracy and please at least half the people that will actually try to attend. This is about meeting some forum friends on new water for most of them, but a real solid chance at good fishing would be a nice bonus. Fighting iced guides and sluggish fish in 35F water makes that much harder. But if that is what the majority wants I will be there. This is also why I suggested a north and south site at. different times. If everyone could attend at least one I believe the goal is met.

So if you are seriously planning to attend an event, speak freely now please. If you guys want to fish in February that is what we wil do. I do think well over a months notice is the best idea. Lodging is easier, scheduling around work is easier etc. Perhaps it won't happen, but I am I'm kinda hoping we might lure a couple guys from several states away if we plan his far enough in advance with little chance of a winter storm to complicate travel.

fishiowa

Reaction score
I detest frozen guides and would be more up for later in the spring, maybe the last weekend in March before stocking begins in April and the crowds show up. In March I would definitely be in a cabin or hotel though (sucks getting old). May would be good if we want an option for more comfortable camping. April-October the Bears/Waterloo/French will be crazy crowded on the weekends. How many of you could do a mid-week thing? Whatever everyone wants to do I'll be there if my schedule allows.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I detest frozen guides and would be more up for later in the spring, maybe the last weekend in March before stocking begins in April and the crowds show up. In March I would definitely be in a cabin or hotel though (sucks getting old). May would be good if we want an option for more comfortable camping. April-October the Bears/Waterloo/French will be crazy crowded on the weekends. How many of you could do a mid-week thing? Whatever everyone wants to do I'll be there if my schedule allows.
Without knowing which attendees have stringent job schedules, I am thinking a FRI-SAT or SUN-MON meet might be a nice compromise to allow max participation,even if only for one day. SUN-MON lodging would no doubt be easiest to lock in, but far enough in advance any day should be very doable.

herchammer

Reaction score
I'm interested, provided the particulars work out. I'll be offering nothing in the way of tutelage or info, as I am junior to most everyone, in experience, not chronology

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk