sheboygan river, sheboygan wisconsin...

ryc72

Reaction score
Thinking of going to fish the Sheboygan river in sheboygan wisconsin late sep or early oct for salmon. Reading some old posts from prior years it sounds like the fishery is a shell of its former self. Anyone have any recent experience on the river? has the fishery rebounded some? even if its not as prolific as it once was, is it worth the planes and trains to go? Thanks in advance!

apohlo17

Reaction score
Hey man,

I have fished the Sheboygan in the fall months, and although you can hook into a brute of a king or a fiery red coho, it's not an easy task. Fishing really depends on the weather and river depth, because if you can't see the fish and put a fly right in it's face, it won't be opening it's mouth. All the while, it is a blast when you finally hook one!

I can't say for how the fishing was a long time ago, but in the past year or so, expect to see at Max, a dozen fish on an afternoon outing, and a fraction of them sitting in the fishable part of the river. Just my two cents!

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

klunker

Reaction score
I have not fished the sheboygan for about 2 years. too busy with other distractions.

anyways I live in the area and talk to others who fish it often.
the steelhead fishing is crashed. spring is the only time if your after steelhead exclusively. and its a much shorter season than in the past, water levels can kill a season and usually do.
king salmon is way down, and coho is hit or miss.
Some falls there is virtually no coho's. some falls lots, depends on how far north they run in the lake. my understanding is cohos tend to be more in southern lake mich. depending upon weather in summer they may run north a little and then they show up in the sheboygan.

the only thing going for the sheboygan now is browns and my understanding is that is going down hill also..

this is all thanks to the charter boat industry.