Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  25
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Winter Fishing Clothing

I agree that this approach would work well with temperatures in the 30's. However, we can go a long time without seeing temps like that. We used to go on New Year's day regardless of the weather. We often fished in air that was below zero F. I don't care how much walking one does in those conditions, you'll need warmer clothing than that, especially if it's windy.

If the temperature is 0, I'm not going, I'll pick a better day. If I don't fish for a few weeks because it is perpetually 19 degrees and wind, then so be it.

I'm not suggesting you should go. Heck, I don't fish when it's 0*F anymore either. I'm just pointing that in your conditions you really don't need clothing designed for winter fishing, which is the topic of this thread.

My point was in the Midwest, unless you're going to be standing around for long periods of time, you don't have to dress over the top to stay warm. It's a Midwest thread. I don't know how you winter fish, but I don't set up camp in one spot for hours on end, or sit in a drift boat and float a river. And you're right, to fish the southeast Minnesota winter season, you don't need any special clothing designed for winter fishing. I was trying to point it out that its a simpler answer than not.

Your right at 30 degrees you need a hoodie, I don’t even break out the long johns.

The wind not the temperature is the biggest factor for me on going or not going winter fly fishing. Ten below and calm is not really bad.

But for all the the people that say they winter fish, I’m not seeing you or any tracks in the snow, even in the famous areas, at least on the far northern driftless, and that’s a good thing.

Most everyone is in their fish houses after walleye.

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    Your right at 30 degrees you need a hoodie, I don’t even break out the long johns.

The wind not the temperature is the biggest factor for me on going or not going winter fly fishing. Ten below and calm is not really bad.

But for all the the people that say they winter fish, I’m not seeing you or any tracks in the snow, even in the famous areas, at least on the far northern driftless, and that’s a good thing.

Most everyone is in their fish houses after walleye.
    It's the same on this end of the D.A. but unfortunately for different reasons. When the stock trucks stop rolling there are only a few select streams left to fish in IA and the crowds are gone much below 40F. The streams are pounded through November until they kill the last easy fish, then it's hunting and ice fishing around here. If there is any ice anyway.

7. Default Re: Winter Fishing Clothing

I'm working up the nerve to get out for some winter stream fishing. I know how to layer for warmth, but I have questions about footgear. I have a healthy fear of slipping or sliding and taking a plunge. So I'm wondering weather I would be better off using my fishing waders with the felt sole boots or going with duck hunting boot-foot waders. Thoughts? Tips?

Felt, always felt.

Yep. Or felt with spikes or bars. However be very careful with felt when walking on soft snow and be careful with spiked felt on snow or ice.

jr spey & Fred, thanks for the tip on the cotton sweat pants. I wear them under my waders and yes they are cotton. Been doing that for years without getting wet. However now my balance is compromised at times and investing in fleece britches would be the smart thing to do!

Denny

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123