Winter Fishing Clothing

mk117

Reaction score
Getting geared up for the winter season. How do you guys layer up for winter fishing? What's your bottom - end temperatures?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Lucky here as it (rare) just doesn't get that cold here in my bit of Southern Oregon. But as to light layering I start with real silk ... expensive as heck but will last you for years. Then 'poly-prop' for the rest. Exception to this is a good down vest or coat. The last element, if needed, is a good 'gortex' type rain coat that goes well below my bottom. Not really for rain but you just can't beat the stuff as a wind breaker; and don't believe all the stuff about 'breathable,' for the most part a fantasy.

jr spey

Reaction score
My silk hasn't been used in years, though it's a nice wicking material. For truly cold weather I use mid-weight Smart Wool long johns with fleece over that. Good quality fleece (read $$$) is remarkably warmer than what you'll find at Wal Mart, etc. It'll also last a lot longer. I use a Patagonia Nano Puff jacket under my Simms Guide jacket. If I'm in a boat, which is most of the time these days, I use Muck Boots with Alpaca socks underneath them. For a hat, I finally found something that works after years of searching. The Hunter's Hat from Alpaca of Montana is warm, dry, comfortable and has windblock on the ear flaps. Though I only use them when I absolutely have to, the Kast Steelhead gloves keeps your hands warm like nothing else I've ever tried. I've fished for steelhead and early season trout since the late 1960's and it's only been within the last couple of years that all this has come together and I don't freeze my butt off. Both the hat and the gloves are very expensive, but if you search around the Kast gloves can be found for quite a bit less than on the Kast website and Alpaca of Montana puts that hat on sale a couple of times each year. Just have to keep checking their site.

jr spey

Reaction score
I like smart wool too, I’ll have to search for those steelhead gloves, I tried some neoprene gloves with a flip over which I think made my hands colder.

I’m always looking for better winter gear for work, hunting, fishing..... I like these threads.

But it’s true if you live in a northern climate, winter sucks without good gear, and it can be very dangerous as well. Many new comers suffer frostbite, when it stops hurting from cold, it’s a serious problem, it didn’t get better.
I tried neoprene gloves when the Glacier Gloves came out about 20 years ago. They are warm as long as you keep them on, but if you take them off to tie a knot or release a fish they don't seem to work after that. I was told to stuff them down into my waders when they were off and that helped, but not enough. Someone mentioned on a musky forum I frequent that Amazon has Kast gloves at a very attractive price. Don't know if it was a short term sale, or a regular price, but it might be worth checking out. Be sure to get the Steelhead glove as it's their best.

flytie09

Reaction score
I am able to tough it out to 10-15 deg F. Beyond that.... I'm out.

As far as my layering.... I use this aproach:

- Feet - pair of dress nylon dress socks, 1x thin pair of smartwool lightweight socks or LENZ heated socks and 1x pair of heavy wool socks.... the most % wool content I can find
- Bottoms - 1x pair of form fitting long underwear, and a pair of German military heavy wool pants.
- Waders - Cabelas neoprene - 3 mm is what I have now....Simms headwater boots and strap on Korker studs
- top - t-shirt, long underwear top, long sleeve thin top, button up chamois top, thin wool sweater, down vest, insulated button up jacket, Redington wool jacket, Cabelas guide series raincoat
- hat - ballcap w/ heavy beanie over the top of it that has ear flaps
- fleece gloves w/ flip back mittens... I cut off the glove tips
- hot hands in pants pockets and in my rain jacket pockets. One in each back side of my gloves also.

Don't wade in unless you have to and no deeper than thigh deep or you're a goner. Get out of the water after 30 minutes..... bring a thermos of something warm... coffee, tea or soup. It just plain sucks when it's bathroom break time.

ft09

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've been known to be out when it's cold and have developed my own choices. I avoid bulk and stay active.

Feet > A pair of either Simms knee high liner socks (discontinued now) or the Mid Weight socks. Knee high to avoid circulation problems caused by a sock that will constrict just above the ankle. I do not wear multiple layers of socks. That just causes my boots to be too tight which leads to colder feet, air space and ability to have some wiggle room is important.

Legs > I use the heavyweight Carrhart long john bottoms. These for fishing and traveling back & forth to the cabin (150 mile snowmachine trip in cold) Again no multiple layering on the legs under my waders, G4 waders and the Carrhart bottoms and I can stand -8 on a river if I'm in a stubborn mood.

Torso > I like Paragon Merino Wool as the base layer, it's thin and wicks very well. Over that a Simms Guide Top Mid weight, over that the Simms Fall Run Vest. The vest is thin but extremely effective. In combination all three layers work very well and I do not get colld, I wear either a G3 or G4 jacket over the layers and fish on in comfort.

Head > This depends on how cold is it really. I have one of the Gore Tex foul weather caps with the ear flaps that attach under the chin with Velcro and that is usually enough for colld but when it is super cold I wear a fur hat made for me by a lady when I was out at Tuntutuliak but you won't be there I'm guessing................ Any good head wear should do.

Hands > I have various gloves for driving a boat in the cold but when fishing I use old school finger-less wool. A pair of chemical warmers in the palm and backside of each helps when it's sub zero but you still can get frostbite on fingertips...........

I'm not saying that what I use is the best or that it is colder here than other places but those combinations allow freedom of movement and I stay comfortable enough considering what I'm doing ;)

One thing for sure, when you find things that work then stock up on them. I have 3 or 4 of everything I listed except the jackets.

denver1911

Reaction score
Bottom end temp: No limit. But the quality of the fishing has to be proportional to the suffering I have to endure. I generally don't fish locally (Kentucky, Western NC, or Tennessee) from November through mid-March. Too much suffering the cold for the quality I experience. I used to, but two things changed. First, I shoot a LOT more clays than I used to. Thus, less time to fish and other things that are more fun when it's cold. Second, no kids in college anymore. If I want to fish in January, I get on a plane and go somewhere warm.

Top end: not sure how to answer this. Probably 100 if the breeze is blowing or I can get in the shade. 90 without either.

I always layer for cold. Usually start with silk. Then wool. Then down. Top that with a breathable rain shell. If I get warm, the down will always ball up and easily fit in a pack. Good fleece will sub for the down, but won't pack down as well if you need to take it off.

I'm sure Underarmour makes a great first layer, but silk is just as good as brand-name polyester and is cheaper too.

dillon

Reaction score
100 percent merino wool calf length socks with plenty of room in the wader booties and wading boots for good circulation are the key to preventing cold feet in the winter. Patagonia has the bestmerino wool socks I have found. They are expensive, but worth every penny.

fredaevans

Reaction score
+1

" Patagonia has the best merino wool socks I have found. They are expensive, but worth every penny."

Totally agree, drop the dollars, you will not be disappointed handing the nice sales lady your credit card (or # over the phone/on line).

jr spey

Reaction score
I have a large drawer full of Smart Wool, Wool Power and a few other brands of merino wool socks, as well as lots of brands of the old wool socks that itched so much you had to wear a liner under it. Trust me when I tell you that the Extra warm Alpaca socks from Alpaca of Montana are warmer than any of them. And they're no bulkier than many of my merino wool socks in the heavier weights. They're less than $10.00 more than the Patagonia and go on sale periodically. For the coldest conditions they are incredible. Also, I noticed that Alpaca of Montana has re-named their hat that I use. It's now the Extra Warm Alpaca fishing hat, and it's on sale right now on their website. No, I don't work there nor have I any business relationship with them. I just love their product and have always been extremely pleased with their service.

dennyk

Reaction score
Head-A good stocking cap and over a poly facemask.

Torso-poly and silk for the bottom layers and wool shirts and sweaters with a Patagonia rain shell to keep the wind off.

Legs-under waders, poly and a thick pair of sweat pants.

Feet-Simms wading socks and merino wool socks. under waders. Same without waders when I don't need to wade, I use Muck insulated Chore boots.

Hands-King of the Mountain wool muff with 2 Grabber Mega hand warmers inside. Hand warmers can be reused, just seal in a zip lock bag. (12 hour warmers)

Denny

Last edited:

flytie09

Reaction score
I've heard other positive things about Alpaca gloves.........might have to check these out and the socks.

ft09

jr spey

Reaction score
Head-A good stocking cap and over a poly facemask.

Legs-under waders, poly and a thick pair of sweat pants.

Denny
Are the sweat pants fleece or cotton? One absolute rule to remember is: COTTON KILLS. Especially in cold weather even the most heroic looking chamois shirt or sweat pants, etc. are killers if they should happen to get wet. Better to use a cheap pair of fleece than cotton.

fredaevans

Reaction score
Are the sweat pants fleece or cotton? One absolute rule to remember is: COTTON KILLS. Especially in cold weather even the most heroic looking chamois shirt or sweat pants, etc. are killers if they should happen to get wet. Better to use a cheap pair of fleece than cotton.
This gets my 'Vote for the understatement of the day.'

fae

S

smcnearn

When the bad weather comes in I jump into the river ASAP! Cold windy snowy conditions are the best!

Iv seen some real pro setups on our local tailwater too. Propane Grill/ 2 head space heater / lantern on 10ft pole. Temps in the teens and below zero with wind chill. The 40 degree water coming out of the dam will melt the ice on your guides

One thing if you bring your RV to cook and heat up.... don’t leave food on the burner with a wet line....

I got with a pataguchi thermal layer, Arctic Buff, pataguchi R1 midlayer, then I have a light hard shell, heavy hard shell, and a nanopuff from pataguchi for the coldest days as my 4th layer under the heaven hardshell.

With the Patagonia baselayer, winter pants, and waders on a never get cold lower body wise.

Hands are what does it for me. Last season I found a pair of neoprene simms that are wonderful and have great dexterity (I could tie a streamer on 20lb) plus water proof (to the wrists )

Currently thinking of some of the thick latex work gloves that go to the elbow as an alternative.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

darkshadow

Reaction score
Bottom end? Prolly 0 degrees. Did 9 degrees without too much of a hassle, the only problem was my wrist and hands getting wet then turning cold.

I've been wearing Smartwool socks, and haven't found one issue with them in the cold. I wear UnderArmour's Cold Gear Tactical leggings, along with the UnderArmour Cold Gear turtle neck top. Those are now known as the "UA Base 3.0" line. Never had a problem, and quite frankly, I think I run hotter than most and found myself a bit hot even in 9 degrees and dropping snow.

As far as the top went? I had a regular ole insulated Gore Tex jacket, I think made by Outdoor Research. And that was the only problem, as the jacket isn't really made to be submersed so the tightening feature around the wrist could not keep moisture out.

But then again, if anybody designs a glove/jacket combo that keeps moisture out completely, or keeps it below the wrist, that would be excellent. But then again, that isn't feasible, especially since we need our fingertips often.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
I enjoy the Midwestern Driftless winter season...as long as temperatures are in that 30 degree range :). My take on gearing up is a little different since I do have a tendency to walk quite a bit and keep the pace up. Trout are pretty lethargic in the winter months so standing over a pool for hours isn't time well spent when the feeding window is so short anyway.

I will wear light pants under my waders, basic socks. Breathable layers on top. I will dress way lighter for the conditions than more. I hate to perspire when it's already in the freezing range, so lighter, breahable stuff helps. No gloves, just a hand warming muff with some disposable heaters in them. Warm my hands when necessary. Wet gloves suck, and if you are catching fish, that is inevitable. Gloves and casting/mending isn't ideal.

Hat, polaroids, and sunglasses...plus sunscreen and lip balm. The reflective rays in the winter are more prevalent than you may think. Pack a water to stay hydrated, and get moving.

jr spey

Reaction score
I agree that this approach would work well with temperatures in the 30's. However, we can go a long time without seeing temps like that. We used to go on New Year's day regardless of the weather. We often fished in air that was below zero F. I don't care how much walking one does in those conditions, you'll need warmer clothing than that, especially if it's windy.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
If the temperature is 0, I'm not going, I'll pick a better day. If I don't fish for a few weeks because it is perpetually 19 degrees and wind, then so be it.