Thanks Thanks:  1
Likes Likes:  20
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Default Re: Fishing Driftless in April

how did you do?

2. Likes psishapiro liked this post

[QUOTE=Redbrook;1074032]Dear people of the Driftless,

My brother and I live in western Michigan and are contemplating a fishing trip for a long weekend in April. We love fishing in Michigan but are thinking about making a run to the Driftless. Is April a good time to fish there? Any ideas or suggestions are appreciated. May and June are already booked up with fishing trips and a new grandson scheduled to make his appearance.

Thanks,
    Craig[/QUOTE The driftless area of WI, MN,and iowa is a great place to fish anytime. There is a fly shop in Viroqua WI that can help you with places to check out. There is no secret spot but many streams that are full of trout. It is a beautiful area to fish and just be. Hope you have a great trip. I love going there as many times as i can sneak away from the day to day.

We moved our trip from Viroqua down to Frennimore per a discussion with Rich. With all the snow coming in he felt the streams further south would be more fishable. Drove over on Wednesday and soon as we hit the Wisconsin line we ran into a snow storm. Long story short we fished Thursday on our own and each picked up a couple of brownies on dries. Wow, couldn't believe the amount of streams to fish within 20 minutes of our hotel. Friday with with Rich and my brother and I each nymphed up a few fish. Rich was great, provided lots of information and instruction. The nymphing up stream with an indicator was new for us and he showed us how to make it work. We learned a lot, caught some fish and are talking about when we can head back!

5. Likes psishapiro liked this post

Would like to go up for a day trip with my son. I have searched but cannot find any maps that show where I can park and access the different streams. Anyone able to point me in a direction on where to find this?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. Default Re: Fishing Driftless in April

Quote Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
    Would like to go up for a day trip with my son. I have searched but cannot find any maps that show where I can park and access the different streams. Anyone able to point me in a direction on where to find this?

A couple of suggestions... Not sure where you are headed, but should you get to Viroqua, stop in the Driftless Angler, right on the main drag through town. If you ask Mat, he’ll whip out a map and highlight good areas to start. Secondly, as you drive around, you will start to see places to pull off and most of the time, close by will be a “turnstile”, which is a 2 or 3 step ladder that farmland owner’s barbed wire connects to. Those turnstiles mean the landowner is good with you entering their property at that point to gain access to the stream. You will start to see them everywhere. It is an awesome place to fish!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

8. Thanks smoke33 thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by psishapiro View Post
    A couple of suggestions... Not sure where you are headed, but should you get to Viroqua, stop in the Driftless Angler, right on the main drag through town. If you ask Mat, he’ll whip out a map and highlight good areas to start. Secondly, as you drive around, you will start to see places to pull off and most of the time, close by will be a “turnstile”, which is a 2 or 3 step ladder that farmland owner’s barbed wire connects to. Those turnstiles mean the landowner is good with you entering their property at that point to gain access to the stream. You will start to see them everywhere. It is an awesome place to fish!

Good info on the turnstiles. Any pics of what this looks like? Virocqua sounds like it is a go to place but, it’s a 4 1/4 hour ride. I was hoping to find something a little closer which is the reason to wanting to find a map.

10. Default Fishing Driftless in April

Turnstile that was recently “restored”, most have steps that are as weathered as the sides.

11. Default Re: Fishing Driftless in April

Quote Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
    Good info on the turnstiles. Any pics of what this looks like? Virocqua sounds like it is a go to place but, it’s a 4 1/4 hour ride. I was hoping to find something a little closer which is the reason to wanting to find a map.

Sounds like you are near me. I’m in s/sw burbs of Chicago. The closest stream I have fished is Black Earth Creek just west of Madison. There are parks along the creek you can check out. If you are near Chicago, visit Dupage Fly Fishing in Naperville, or Chifly outfitters downtown Chicago, or either Orvis store and ask them. They’ll probably pull out maps to show.

If you're willing to invest $35, my suggestion would be to buy a copy of “Map Guide To Improved Trout Waters Of Wisconsin”. The book contains detailed maps of individual streams, including easements, access points, public lands, etc. most of the fly shops, at least in Wisconsin, have copies for sale. If you do get as far north as Viroqua, the suggestion to stop at The Driftless Angler is a good one.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123