Does bright colored clothing matter?

patze003

Reaction score
Hi Driftless Region FFF,

Will be fishing the Vernon County area this week. I’m wondering if wearing bright colored clothing matters for this area? I ask because I’m generally a fan of bright oranges and blues, so much of my fishing clothing features is this color scheme. I know moving slowly and coming from down stream are most important. And, last time I fished this area around Labor Day during bright sunlight I couldn’t even get within the periphery of fish without them seeing me. So my thought is 1) don’t false cast above the area of stream I’m fishing mainly because the spray puts the fish down, 2) move very slowly, 3) cast from directly down stream so I’m not in the perimeter, and 4) long, 10-12 foot 6x leaders.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mikechell

Reaction score
There's another thread going about bright colored clothes. I am a firm believer that the fish don't care. If you're fishing directly over the fish ... then maybe. If you're casting more than 15/20 feet away from your position, then I truly doubt the fish will be spooked by your clothes, no matter how bright.

I agree with much of your other items at the bottom of the post, though.

silver creek

Reaction score
Hi Driftless Region FFF,

Will be fishing the Vernon County area this week. I’m wondering if wearing bright colored clothing matters for this area? I ask because I’m generally a fan of bright oranges and blues, so much of my fishing clothing features is this color scheme. I know moving slowly and coming from down stream are most important. And, last time I fished this area around Labor Day during bright sunlight I couldn’t even get within the periphery of fish without them seeing me. So my thought is 1) don’t false cast above the area of stream I’m fishing mainly because the spray puts the fish down, 2) move very slowly, 3) cast from directly down stream so I’m not in the perimeter, and 4) long, 10-12 foot 6x leaders.
You already know the answer. "last time I fished this area around Labor Day during bright sunlight I couldn’t even get within the periphery of fish without them seeing me."

I would try to match the color of the background and walk low and slow. Low to stay under the 10 degree line of Snell's window and slow because regardless of color, motion to fish means danger.

You may think that fish cannot see you from directly downstream of them, but they can. Even a fish staying in place moves its body from side to side in swimming motion. Although there is a "blind spot" directly behind the fish, that blind spot MOVES during the side to side motion of the fish and there is no place that is not seen from time to time even directly behind the fish. So it is LESS LIKELY that the fish will see you BUT it still CAN see you.

Simply put, bright colors make you more visible so you are making it more likely that a fish will see you. Again it comes down to statistics and probabilities. The probability of you being seen increases with bright clothing and decreases with clothing that matches the background.

As to 15/20 feet being the safety zone, that is really not true. Fish see the outside world through Snell's Window which compresses 180° into approximately 97° The distance you must stay away depends on HOW DEEP the fish is and HOW HIGH you are. The closer the fish is to the water surface and the height of you AND your rod above the ground determines whether you CAN be seen. This assumes a smooth water surface. With riffles, you can get much closer. As you will see in the detailed calculations at the end of my post, at 15 to 20 feet from a fish in clear flat water you will likely be visible unless you are a reeaalllly tiny person.

Snell's window - Wikipedia

Snell's law means that if you stay UNDER the 10° line from the EDGE of the window, the fish will not see you. The deeper the fish, the larger the window and the further away you must be.

Ever wonder why fly rods are "balanced" to cast 30 feet of fly line? It turns out that at 30 feet from the edge of the window, the 10° line is at 5 feet. It is the rule of 6

The application is simple but the explanation is complicated.

To apply the principle, I use the rule of 6. Divide your distance from the outer edge of the trout's window by 6 to find how far above the water you can be before being seen. If you are 18 feet way, you need to be lower than 3 feet, at 24 ft, you need to be lower than 4 feet and so on. Simple

The explanation is that when light enters or leaves a water/air barrier it will bend. The next time you are walking next to a clear pool, stick your fly rod into the water and it will look bent at the point at which it enters the water.

Light bends so that when we look at an object in water it will look further away and shallower than it really is. So when you see a trout it is really closer and deeper than it looks to you. That is the bending of light as it leaves the water to your eyes.

When the fish is looking at us through it surface window, light entering the water also bends such that, the light that enters at a narrower angle is bend more. Only the light entering at 90 degrees (directly overhead) to the water surface is not bend. This means that the light that enters from objects at a low angle to the water surface is compressed and distorted. Only when the entry angle is greater than 10 degrees can the object be seen relatively clearly. This is why we need to stay below 10 degrees.

How then does this lead to the rule of 6? It is plain geometry.

Consider the right angle triangle in the illustration below. Suppose the closest edge of the fish's window is at point (a). Angle h-d is 10°. Distance from the window edge is the length of side (d) and the height of the 10 degree line is length of side (h). The tangent of 10° is h/d = 0.1763 so the height you need to stay under is h = (0.1763 ) x d(the distance from the edge of the window). It so happens that the tangent of 10° is about 1/6 or 1.667. Dividing (d) by 6 gives you (h) = the rule of 6.

Notice also in the illustration below that the position of the flying mayfly is shifted closer to the vertical by the refraction of light by the water.

The depth of the fish also changes the size of the window. In the diagram below I have added arrows for the size of the window and the depth of the fish. You will also notice that the angle of the window from the trout's eye is 97.5°. Half of that if 48.75° which is about 45°. At 45°, the distance = r from the center of the window to the edge of the window is exactly equal to the depth =r of the fish. So we can approximate the the size of the window from the depth of the fish. The window diameter is 2r or about twice the depth of the fish.

Note also that the deeper the fish, the larger the window. That means that the deeper the fish, the closer the edge of the window is to you and the lower you must be to stay under the fish's vision.

The size of the window also compresses the image of the outside world into a very limited space that gets increasingly smaller as the fish gets closer to the surface. You can now understand why, when the trout is feeding selectively and holding just under the surface, we can get very very close to the fish. His image of us is limited by the window size as well as the 10° line.

Notice that I said you have to divide you distance from the EDGE of the trout's window. How do your figure out where the edge of the window begins? The geometry above indicates that the edge of the window begins at about the same distance from the trout as the depth of the trout.

So if the trout is 5 feet deep, the diameter of the window is 10 feet and the edge of the window is 5 feet from the trout. Because the bending of the light by the water/air interface works in both directions, the actual fish will be deeper and closer than it looks to be. So you need to account for this optical illusion when estimating the edge of the window.

Most often the need to fish downstream to rising trout will be when the fish are shallow and have a very narrow window diameter in slow moving water with complex currents. The down stream approach is needed to get the fly both into the feeding lane with accuracy and free of drag.

Because the window is so small, all of the visual field is crammed into a few square cms. of window. The fish has a harder time seeing a waving rod than if it were deeper and the window larger.

So to answer your question as to whether the fish can more easily detect bright colors, yes, If you have to crawl around on your hands and knees all day because of bright colors, your shirt will soon be the color of dirt and grass so you might as well start that way. ;)

el jefe

Reaction score
Yes, brightly colored clothes do make a difference...they keep you from getting shot.

Unless you are ~10' or less from the fish, brightly colored clothes do not matter (see American Angler June 2017). Outside of that, other things are far more important; i.e., stealth, movement, wading technique, etc. Silver's explanation above is his usual solid work, and he hits the variables that change the distance at which brightly colored clothes become a factor. If you are river fishing, the surface probably isn't smooth, either, and likely very broken in places, which also factor into the analysis.

silver creek

Reaction score
The driftless streams are rather narrow and if you are fishing from below, any fish you spook will go upstream and spook other fish. The streams I fish in my area of Wisconsin are also mostly small as well. It is disheartening to see a trout scoot upstream and spook the fish in the next spot I was planning to fish.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
My rule is to wear muted tones whenever possible. I don't wear all white in the winter, but light gray works for me. I don't get any feedback from the fish I'm trying to fool, but for me it's peace of mind to wear colors that help me blend in to the landscape.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I've read where people argue that bright cloths or bright colored fly lines have no effect on fishing success, people who think that way will not be changing their opinions soon I'd suspect. Me? I've been dressing like a turkey hunter and using olive drab or gray fly lines for many years and I've done very well at the fish catching game so I'd advise going muted colors.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
I've read where people argue that bright cloths or bright colored fly lines have no effect on fishing success, people who think that way will not be changing their opinions soon I'd suspect. Me? I've been dressing like a turkey hunter and using olive drab or gray fly lines for many years and I've done very well at the fish catching game so I'd advise going muted colors.
+1 for me!

huronfly

Reaction score
Amen to that... I also wear camo. Why take any chances?

pnc

Reaction score
Now that Easter has past wear anything.

I've experimented with this over time. Not realizing it at the time. Seeing posts pro & con. Makes me think most all are wrong. But right also. Think one post touched on core issue.
Color does not spook fish. Add movment, story changes. Movments may be more easily seen. When bright colors are worn. But thats another debate.
Fish know the waters they live in. As we know the places we live in. Fish also deal with changes via mother nature. Falling tree may spook fish up and down a stream. Just be part of home soon to the fish. It's not threataning somehow. Fish don't understand what a new shape is. And will investigate. If something shoots out from this. Shape.. Fish are likely to spook. No matter of color. I had a fish swim between my legs while wearing a red hunting coat.

......... pc

silver creek

Reaction score
Now that Easter has past wear anything.

I've experimented with this over time. Not realizing it at the time. Seeing posts pro & con. Makes me think most all are wrong. But right also. Think one post touched on core issue.

Color does not spook fish. Add movment, story changes. Movments may be more easily seen. When bright colors are worn. But thats another debate.
Fish know the waters they live in. As we know the places we live in. Fish also deal with changes via mother nature. Falling tree may spook fish up and down a stream. Just be part of home soon to the fish. It's not threataning somehow. Fish don't understand what a new shape is. And will investigate. If something shoots out from this. Shape.. Fish are likely to spook. No matter of color. I had a fish swim between my legs while wearing a red hunting coat.

......... pc

Whenever we have discussions like this one, we often forget that all trout do not act the same. Trout populations are composed of individuals and individuals demonstrate variance. Some trout may not be spooked by motion or bright colors. BUT as long as some trout are spooked by motion or bright colors, dull colors and slower movement will spook fewer fish over all. The goal is to spook the fewest fish so that we get shots at the most fish.

The question is not whether bright clothing or motion spooks fish or not, it is what spooks the most fish vs what spooks the fewest fish.

The answer is easily demonstrated by creating a decision matrix similar to Pascal’s Wager. When we choose our clothing we are making a bet on whether color matters or not. In the decision matrix below we have the 4 possible outcomes when we match our “bet” (left side) with what is real (top side). If color does not matter, both dull clothing and bright clothing have equal results. But if more visible bright colors do spook some fish, dull colors will spook fewer fish. Therefore wearing dull colors will ALWAYS equal or outperform bright colors.

Whether movement is a factor or not makes NO difference in the matrix below. That is a separate issue. Whether trout some trout spook with or without movement, dull colors will always equal or outperform bright colors.

An identical decision matrix can can be made for movement. And in such a matrix, color will not matter. Whether one wears bright colors or dull colors, moving more slowly will ALWAYS equal or outperform moving more quickly. One can see that both dull colors and slower movement will always spook fewer fish than bright clothing and faster motion.

My belief is that the largest fish are even more prone to be spooked. This is the natural result of survival of the spookiest. The fish that is most easily spooked is the fish that is least likely to be caught or killed by a predator and is the least likely to be caught by a fisherman. Even with C&R, there is a 3.5% fatality rate, so the fewer times a fish is caught, the greater the probability that will grow larger. So when hunting for large fish, it is even more important to wear dull clothing, stay low and move slowly.

Last edited:

fredaevans

Reaction score
White City (tad north of Medford) Oar-E-Gone
Interesting question; I had to sit and think .... most of the time I'm dressed in 'tan' coloured clothing. Quick dry stuff in case I fall in ... which hasn't happened in years. But then again I use a wading staff that comes up to my nose; never wade above my knees. At a tick short of 80 there are 'just don't do that's.'

fae