Driftless bad weather

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
There's enough to go around unless you're in California, Colorado or Idaho right now Kev. I was out for a day yester day and the river we were on was 4.38 feet above average mean levels so essentially 3 foot deep where you are normally standing on dry gravel bars...…………….. It's been raining plenty here.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Real rough weather. Saw vid of nice homes in **** Valley, WI with flood water almost to the gutters. I've lived that one several times and wouldn't wish that mess on anyone. Not to mention there are likely more than a few brown trout in the Mississippi now.

EDIT: Raccoon Valley, not really, but the software is tight here.

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Thanks for sharing the pics Silver. Seems like a large part of the Driftless gets shredded every other year. Amazing how resilient it is. As much as I prefer the natural streams, the bank improvement rock projects start making good sense when this happens.

el jefe

Reaction score
Here are photos posted on another Wisconsin FFF

PHOTOS: Flooding in Vernon, Monroe counties - WISC

The West Fork Sports Club in Avalanche this morning:

(Photo of E. Lorensen)

The CTH S bridge in Avalanche this morning.* Judging by the debris, water was over the bridge.*

(Photo of E. Lorensen)

Breached spillway

Soooooo...streamers?

In all seriousness, water's power awes. I flew over the Midwest in the 90's when the Mississippi flooded so badly, and was completely awestruck. Mother Nature will always have the upper hand, no matter what we do.

I think not only the Driftless itself is resilient, but so are the people of its area. Best of luck to all who live there.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Soooooo...streamers?

In all seriousness, water's power awes. I flew over the Midwest in the 90's when the Mississippi flooded so badly, and was completely awestruck. Mother Nature will always have the upper hand, no matter what we do.

I think not only the Driftless itself is resilient, but so are the people of its area. Best of luck to all who live there.
Did you see me sandbagging back in the 1990s Jeff? Mississippi 3-5 miles wide south of here. We are very efficient at hanging drywall in the Midwest. :) Down to the studs if you don't want to live in a swamp house. I only had to do that once in my first house. My current house is 50ft above Mississippi flood stage. Everyone comments how terrible my lane must be in winter. Yeah I'm cool with walking up the lane 3 or 4 times a winter. Good for my heart and drywall is bad on my back. :) Flood damage is horrible. You can see from Silver's pics it's pure mud. The water leaves your house in a few days, the skanky mud stays until you remove it.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow!

Things aren't that bad here, just high enough to mess up silver and trout fishing so I whine. In 1978 I almost bought a home on a trout stream. I was trying to choose between two of them actually, one with a deck cantilevered right out over the Loyalsock Creek (that's a big one) and another with a few acres on Hogland's Run. During the time I was trying to decide we had a minor flooding incident so I visited both properties. The one on the Sock was threatened and the creek looked very scary and not much like an idyllic trout stream. The one on Hogland's Run was completely surrounded by muddy water............ I ended up with a little chicken farm on top a mountain in Hepburn Township ;)

el jefe

Reaction score
Did you see me sandbagging back in the 1990s Jeff? Mississippi 3-5 miles wide south of here. We are very efficient at hanging drywall in the Midwest. :) Down to the studs if you don't want to live in a swamp house. I only had to do that once in my first house. My current house is 50ft above Mississippi flood stage. Everyone comments how terrible my lane must be in winter. Yeah I'm cool with walking up the lane 3 or 4 times a winter. Good for my heart and drywall is bad on my back. :) Flood damage is horrible. You can see from Silver's pics it's pure mud. The water leaves your house in a few days, the skanky mud stays until you remove it.
I'm sure it wasn't bad as I am about to make it sound, but it just seemed like the Mississippi spread as far as the eye could see, from the air. It was hard for the mind to grasp the scale, to look down out of the window and say to yourself, "That is a river."

ia_trouter

Reaction score
Wow!

Things aren't that bad here, just high enough to mess up silver and trout fishing so I whine. In 1978 I almost bought a home on a trout stream. I was trying to choose between two of them actually, one with a deck cantilevered right out over the Loyalsock Creek (that's a big one) and another with a few acres on Hogland's Run. During the time I was trying to decide we had a minor flooding incident so I visited both properties. The one on the Sock was threatened and the creek looked very scary and not much like an idyllic trout stream. The one on Hogland's Run was completely surrounded by muddy water............ I ended up with a little chicken farm on top a mountain in Hepburn Township ;)
Most creek property is a great for a fishing shack if you don't store anything too valuable. . Here most of it a foot or so deep, right up until it isn't. It will get you eventually if you live anywhere near it where it rains hard now and then.

Last edited:

ia_trouter

Reaction score
I'm sure it wasn't bad as I am about to make it sound, but it just seemed like the Mississippi spread as far as the eye could see, from the air. It was hard for the mind to grasp the scale, to look down out of the window and say to yourself, "That is a river."
Sounds like you witnessed the 500 year flood of 93'. We can only hope it doesn't come back. Once it breaches flood stage it's insane in the lowlands of the Midwest. River fises a couple feet and it's 1/2 mile wider overnight. Managable in the true Driftless region. Head down south a few hundred miles towards St Louis and you can't even describe it. But you actually just did. :)

el jefe

Reaction score
Sounds like you witnessed the 500 year flood of 93'. We can only hope it doesn't come back. Once it breaches flood stage it's insane in the lowlands of the Midwest. River fises a couple feet and it's 1/2 mile wider overnight. Managable in the true Driftless region. Head down south a few hundred miles towards St Louis and you can't even describe it. But you actually just did. :)
Yep, that was the one. I obviously knew about the flood before I flew over it, because it was all over the news, but when it's staggering from 35,000', it's hard getting your mind around it. Just trying to comprehend how many people and buildings were affected by the hundreds (thousands?) of square miles of flooded area was, well, incomprehensible.

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
Jeff talking about the scope of the Mississippi during the flood he saw reminds me of what I saw as a young volunteer rescuing people and pets along the Susquehanna River during Hurricane Agnes in 1972. We went to an area along the West branch called Sylvan Dell, when we crested the dike the water stretched as far as you could see. At that time I had never been to or seen the ocean in person. Later in life when I lived along the Chesapeake Bay I realized how big the Susquehanna was during the flood.

I always can empathize with people who are flooded because of those days ferrying people and their pets from roof tops in the Dell.

ontheflymn

Reaction score
The line of rain/heavy rain is very definite, especially in MN. There are quite a few reputable streams that are slightly off to clean and fishable, where a 15 to 20 minute drive to the south puts you in unfishable water. Will be out this weekend in MN, but I am sure we will find decent water that hasn't felt the effects of the deluge.

ia_trouter

Reaction score
The line of rain/heavy rain is very definite, especially in MN. There are quite a few reputable streams that are slightly off to clean and fishable, where a 15 to 20 minute drive to the south puts you in unfishable water. Will be out this weekend in MN, but I am sure we will find decent water that hasn't felt the effects of the deluge.
Good job getting us back on topic! :)

The fact the Driftless mostly extends north and south sure seems to help. We can usually drive away from the wicked strong summer storm damage in an hour or so.