Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  224
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Yeah we're cool. No worries from me. I shouldn't have added the name. I'm not one of those secret hole guys, if you ask I'll share. You're right, you should at least make the effort to ask behind the scenes without it being broadcast.

I grew up in WY so I've had to really get used to the crowds in this part of the country. Although I've fished CO plenty of times and it can be even worse on some of those streams. I've been in Iowa for quite some time now and have taken somewhat of a hiatus from fishing here. Used to go up NE quite a bit and haven't been in some time.

I have no problem providing flies. I've got lot's of old worn out ones that don't work anymore!

2. Thanks unknownflyman thanked for this post
    Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by nawagner View Post
    Yeah we're cool. No worries from me. I shouldn't have added the name. I'm not one of those secret hole guys, if you ask I'll share. You're right, you should at least make the effort to ask behind the scenes without it being broadcast.

I grew up in WY so I've had to really get used to the crowds in this part of the country. Although I've fished CO plenty of times and it can be even worse on some of those streams. I've been in Iowa for quite some time now and have taken somewhat of a hiatus from fishing here. Used to go up NE quite a bit and haven't been in some time.

I have no problem providing flies. I've got lot's of old worn out ones that don't work anymore!
    Most of the put and take streams are a zoo on stocking day, and sometimes the day after. When I fish them, I check the schedule and hit them days later. Special regulation waters are much better and there is some natural reproduction. Unfortunately there aren't nearly enough of them. Crowds lesson in late fall. I definitely intend to hit some of the better streams then. The weeds are a monster on the southern end the D.A. this year. Add constantly muddy water and it's really a challenge. When the rains finally stop I'll bust some weeds. It's going to be work again this year. Several streams are almost unrecognizable after two years of frequent hard rains.

I got out last weekend, Itchmesir was in my neck of the woods and we fished the morning and early evening on my home river. Its amazing to me how fast the trout can turn on and off, it was a bit different day, a bit slow and then some sulphurs would come off with midges and some crane flies, caddis in the evening and the fish would be feeding and I`d catch five or six and it would shut down just as fast as it started. I caught a good number of fish because I fished from morning till dark only letting up for a quick Red Bull, gatorade and some cheese and beef jerky lunch at mid day, and continued down river. I`m lucky to have water, I usually fish downriver sometimes for miles and then walk back, more like swinging for steelhead than anything, prospect, maybe stay in a fishy area for a bit and keep moving. I like finding new water, away from the access points.

I like to prospect with dry flies and wake and skate flies, I also am a streamer swinger so I tend to fish downriver, only fishing up river to really tough fish or if the fish start rising behind me, which does happen. It pays to look both ways.

It was hot outside for me, water temperature was 60 degrees. I fished my new 6`6" 4wt CGR which I really liked but its too short for me on this river, I normally fish 8`6" fly rods. I had to work a little harder at making long casts and I`m not much of a false caster, I like to pickup the line and cast and shoot to the next spot.

I had one take on a caddis in the late morning, I didn't see the take, I cast under the branches up against a cliff wall, all of a sudden the clicker started screaming and I lifted the rod, it was a big trout, heavy and it pulled like a steelhead on the swing, quite a bit of line came off the reel, and it was gone, I was left with a slack line and shaking knees. I would describe the take as violent.

It is always a great day fishing with friends on the river.

The door.

Itchmesir stuck a nice one!

I love the color of the browns this time of year.

And the end of a lovely evening, fog coming up river.

One last nice fish in the mist, it was dusk, marginal photo.
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 07-12-2019 at 11:34 PM.

Tornadic clouds and severe thunderstorms and yet another flood warning, the USGS on a home driftless river is going off the charts. The Mississippi is still high and look out Iowa. Our first hot spell, 91 and humid, the hottest part of the year for the next 3 weeks.

Water is not great for the next while up here, I felt it was pretty stained last time out, and we had a little stretch without rain.

Its much too hot outside for me to trout fish, river temps in the 60 degree range but its warming, that time of year for me, the first half is done, Trout fishing is off for me till late August on the driftless unless it cools back down. Its hard on me and the fish.

Got to get some work done before, Fall Steelhead and salmon, and when the fishing gets hot again on the northern driftless.

Its been a wonderful year so far, lots of nice brown trout, a concerning lack of native char, but perhaps they will find their way out of the feeder springs this fall. I did hit a silver brook trout on the last outing last Saturday which looks favorable.

Its been a flood year, for sure, one of the most comforting things I see is clouds and clouds of young trout and baitfish that after this spring is great to see.

6. Likes ia_trouter, Raging Moorish liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post

It's much too hot outside for me to trout fish, river temps in the 60 degree range but its warming, that time of year for me, the first half is done, Trout fishing is off for me till late August on the driftless unless it cools back down. Its hard on me and the fish.
    I get what you're saying, the past week or so I have been having no luck whatsoever. The bite seems to have come to a complete halt once we got above 85 degrees. I don;t know what i'm gonna do with myself until the weather gets a bit cooler haha. Maybe the streams will get a bit lower when january hits, i've been having a hard to finding wadeable creeks this summer.

8. Likes unknownflyman, ia_trouter liked this post

The bug hatches are down right now, and the fish are full, water quality not great, warm, sunny....the bite is not great but some fish to be had, always. It can cool back down and it really hasn't been a hot summer, only hit 90 a few times, its all that water in the air, steam shower.

If you asked me about trout fishing, I`d say go walleye fishing, get into some deep water sunfish too and have a good summer fish fry at the lake. Float tube it for smallmouth bass without waders and stay cool.

10. Likes Raging Moorish, ia_trouter liked this post

I fished Vernon County WI this weekend. Hot and humid, but it was the gnats that were really bothersome. Apparently these weren't the biting gnats encountered earlier, but these were still annoying. I breathed in about a cup of them. I did okay fishing, missed another big one that came unpinned after about a minute. But it was miserable fishing, between the temps and bugs.

I believe we are hitting mid-90s next few days so the game is pretty much over down here. You could hit a pure stocker bow stream without doing any harm but they will stop stocking if the water temps rise too high. We had so much rain this spring and weeds are 4-5ft high right up to the streams edge most of the runs. I can do without poison ivy and such on my face and neck. I've never seen some of the busy streams with no paths beaten down Pretty much all you can do with a fly is walk upstream and stay in the stream. I know when it's time to get the boat out and go crappie fishing during low light. That would be now.

13. Likes weiliwen liked this post

7_14_2_19.jpg

It topped out at 90 on Sunday in southeast MN, but we got on the stream early and were rewarded.

Side note: I understand full well how frustrating it is to fish through head high weeds. However, do you know how many people that deters from fishing at all? I love this time of year: hot, humid, buggy, weedy. The trout are still there, but most of the anglers are not.

15. Thanks Raging Moorish thanked for this post

Quote Originally Posted by ontheflymn View Post
    7_14_2_19.jpg

It topped out at 90 on Sunday in southeast MN, but we got on the stream early and were rewarded.

Side note: I understand full well how frustrating it is to fish through head high weeds. However, do you know how many people that deters from fishing at all? I love this time of year: hot, humid, buggy, weedy. The trout are still there, but most of the anglers are not.
    Absolutely. If the water wasn't chocolate milk I'd be all over it. I took k_e_v to a trout park a few weeks ago, just to start the day. Not because I love trout parks, but because this one is large with a ton of fun spots to fish. I doubt he believes me. I literally pulled the plug in about 20 minutes, and we left for a stream with a much stronger spring another hour away away. I am VERY jealous of your springs. The southern tip of the Driftless has been a mess since 2017. Sorry if I sound like I am whining but I miss having true day trip water that is fishable. I can catch a few on wholly buggers, but that got a little stale after the first year. I have to buy a hotel and take an extra day off work for a simple day of fishing on water that isn't wrecked. This will pass eventually but it is frustrating for now.
    Last edited by ia_trouter; 07-17-2019 at 12:12 PM.

17. Likes Raging Moorish liked this post
Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast