Thanks Thanks:  18
Likes Likes:  221
Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

I’ve been more and more using glass in 3-4-5 Wt rods. I think the Redington CT series fishes nice on the driftless, I just like and enjoy glass so much more. Or at least that’s my mood lately, that’s why I have a rod collection.

2. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by unknownflyman View Post
    I’ve been more and more using glass in 3-4-5 Wt rods. I think the Redington CT series fishes nice on the driftless, I just like and enjoy glass so much more. Or at least that’s my mood lately, that’s why I have a rod collection.
    I caught the same glass bug. Such a joy to fish and you don't need an expensive one.

Quote Originally Posted by ia_trouter View Post
    I caught the same glass bug. Such a joy to fish and you don't need an expensive one.
    Any specific glass recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by smoke33 View Post
    Any specific glass recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The only glass I own is a couple of CGRs. There are lots of sweet glass rods though. Itchy's Blue Halo is one of my favorites. It's pretty to watch him cast it and it does all I'd ever need on most if not all of the DA. I have plenty of graphite rods and like them fine, but for now they are parked on the DA. I exclusively fished a 3WT 7-6 CT for at least a year. It was a good rod too. Glass is just more fun IMO.

6. Thanks smoke33 thanked for this post

Well, actually if I added up field hours using glass or graphite over my lifetime, it would look like this, Glass 90% Graphite 10%

There are so many nice modern glass rods out there, and the cheap rods are nice too, They are nothing like a Livingston, Barclay, Epic, or a Custom built. I do like the old glass rods too, they are just really hard to find in good shape and the lighter 3-4-5 weights. Most old Fenwicks, and the like are 7 and 8 weights around here.

It would be more accurate to say I caught the graphite bug. LOL . But Itchmesir introduced me to modern glass for sure and while I have no desire to fish a glass rod over 5wt, I got my old FF858 Back, He never fished it. Got my old Steelhead and Bass rod back which makes me happy.

8. Likes Raging Moorish, smoke33 liked this post

Well, actually if I added up field hours using glass or graphite over my lifetime, it would look like this, Glass 90% Graphite 10%

There are so many nice modern glass rods out there, and the cheap rods are nice too, They are nothing like a Livingston, Barclay, Epic, or a Custom built. I do like the old glass rods too, they are just really hard to find in good shape and the lighter 3-4-5 weights. Most old Fenwicks, and the like are 7 and 8 weights around here.

It would be more accurate to say I caught the graphite bug. LOL . But Itchmesir introduced me to modern glass for sure and while I have no desire to fish a glass rod over 5wt, I got my old FF858 Back, He never fished it. Got my old Steelhead and Bass rod back which makes me happy.
    I didn't mean to imply a CGR is as good as a high end glass rod if that's how my comment came across. But if anybody wanted a glass rod to play with on the D.A. now and then they will enjoy a CGR even though it is cheap. Every person that ever cast my CGRs says about the same thing "this a really fun little rod to fish, how much did you say it cost?". The next time I see them a lot of them own a CGR. It really is one of the best deals in fly fishing and especially when Cabela's occasionally gives them away. The CTs were given away for a long time too.

And I had no idea you were into glass that much Steve. And you'll never see me with a glass rod over 5WT. It loses it's shine to even a modestly priced graphite rod for me.
    Last edited by ia_trouter; 07-20-2019 at 06:53 PM.

I really like my CGR a lot, its sloooooooow its a really great rod for the money, I did`nt mean to come across as dismissive not the case at all, just mentioning the quality of the other rods. Some of the current builders are very very talented with really great blanks.

While the details of my fly rod vault is confidential, Right now I own more glass than graphite. The old FF858 is a beast, I would not buy anything over a 5wt myself as well. Well I already have a number of them.

11. Likes ia_trouter liked this post

I really like my CGR a lot, its sloooooooow its a really great rod for the money, I did`nt mean to come across as dismissive not the case at all, just mentioning the quality of the other rods. Some of the current builders are very very talented with really great blanks.

While the details of my fly rod vault is confidential, Right now I own more glass than graphite. The old FF858 is a beast, I would not buy anything over a 5wt myself as well. Well I already have a number of them.
    I am still in my exploratory phase after only five years on the fly. Itchy's Blue Halo may be the best glass I've ever seen cast. Some of the prettiest DA casting I've ever witnessed for sure. When he wants to he can really get some nice line speed too. I fish a lot of water that is well under 20ft wide and less if I am wading at all. I have to drive somewhere fancy to need more than a CGR. But I am good with driving lol.

13. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

I am still in my exploratory phase after only five years on the fly. Itchy's Blue Halo may be the best glass I've ever seen cast. Some of the prettiest DA casting I've ever witnessed for sure. When he wants to he can really get some nice line speed too. I fish a lot of water that is well under 20ft wide and less if I am wading at all. I have to drive somewhere fancy to need more than a CGR. But I am good with driving lol.
    I think Chris Barclay and Dusty from Livingston is going to have a glass conclave next spring, you must attend, its pretty eye opening. Plan on driving bud, we got fish to chase. The blue halo is sweet, He hasn't let me cast that one yet, he got me hooked on other rods first, Like Barclay and Livingston.

I think Chris Barclay and Dusty from Livingston is going to have a glass conclave next spring, you must attend, its pretty eye opening. Plan on driving bud, we got fish to chase. The blue halo is sweet, He hasn't let me cast that one yet, he got me hooked on other rods first, Like Barclay and Livingston.
    He didn't allow me to touch the beloved Halo either. But I did spend the night on his spare bunk in the beloved fly tying room on my way to Minnesota, and he cooked some amazing food on the grill so I better be quiet now lol.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst ... 3111213