Thanks Thanks:  23
Likes Likes:  253
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Nymphing can get tedious due to water conditions, but as a guide I have a saying: If you want to catch fish, learn to nymph fish.

That said, now is the time to get some dry and dropper going. It was very productive the last ten days. The water has cleared up significantly, and the fish are looking up.

Location this time of year matters a great deal - finding the coldest water during warm weather stretches is vital.

2. Thanks Raging Moorish thanked for this post
    Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Thank you all for the words of encouragement. I just picked up a few hoppers so Iím gonna try some hopper dropper fishing and see what happens. Hopefully I can get a big native to eat on top .

Which rod would you guys recommend for a hopper dropper rig? I have a 6'6 cgr 4 wt and a 9' orvis encounter.

thanks in advance,

-bradley

5. Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Moorish View Post
    Which rod would you guys recommend for a hopper dropper rig? I have a 6'6 cgr 4 wt and a 9' orvis encounter.

thanks in advance,

-bradley
    Unless I'm throwing conehead streamers at some distance (which calls for a 9’ 5wt) the stream/wind conditions will dictate the rod length/wt I use.
    You're in my home state— I've rarely encountered conditions in Wisconsin's DA where a 6’6” would fit the bill. Yeah, I'd like to play every fish on a 7' 3 wt, but when I'm there I just want to catch fish...

A hopper-dropper doesn't have to be a hopper, can be any dry fly with a nymph or any other fly. I run double drys sometimes if they are slurping really small midges that you can't see. Run it behind a visible dry by 12-18". My go to is a stimulator in all sizes. Imitates a lot of bugs including a hopper. Because it doesn't have to be a hopper some people use the term dry-dropper.

I like to run a dry-dropper vs. indicator sometimes because an indicator can be just too much. With a dry dropper you can see the nymph hits a little better. You can see very small changes and I find I get a few more hookups that way. A dry is lighter than an indicator so it reveals so much more under water action.

Any size rod can work with a dry-dropper set up. What ever you are fishing for the location.

7. Thanks Raging Moorish thanked for this post
    Likes ia_trouter liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Raging Moorish View Post

thanks in advance,

-bradley
    Coincidentally, the last time I did it was with a CGR 4WT 6-6. It worked well enough but I suspect the long rod might work better for you.

9. Likes unknownflyman, Raging Moorish liked this post
Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 6141516