Thanks Thanks:  5
Likes Likes:  42
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Some friends and I went up to NE Iowa on January 11th, the day of a good snow storm. I live in southern Iowa and we received over 10" of snow. This made what should have been a roughly, 3 1/2 hour drive a 5 1/2 hour drive! Ah well, no good adventure ever started with someone saying "Hey honey pass me the remote and comforter." This was our 1st trip ever to this area and we are already going back the 1st and 2nd of February.
    The day was overcast and as I recall about 30 degrees. I couldn't tell you water temps as we weren't prepared to measure that. That said, the day was awesome! One friend came prepared with an ultralite and in line spinners. I used an Orvis Clearwater 5wt that I had just gotten for Christmas. The spinners snagged 4 Rainbows ranging from 10"-14".
    I caught 1 Rainbow on a scud pattern type fly and 1 brown on a Caddis with a red zebra midge type dropper. I had others on or missed the strike entirely. With a little more practice/skill I would have had more in the net. Can't complain though, it was a spectacular day and we didn't get skunked. Almost 10 hours of driving for 3 1/2 hours of fishing...totally worth it!
    20190112_104055.jpg
    20190112_133503.jpg

Very Nice Mcbeck, welcome. A little street cred on the way.

Hopefully I'll have a little more to post next weekend. I fish all over, but have just recently taken up the fly rod. I usually ice fish a lot, but I have a feeling I'm going to like having the streams all to myself in the winter....

4. Likes dennyk liked this post

I doubt there will be much stream fishing in the D.A. this weekend! it's -13F in Viroqua right now, with down to -20 forecast for later on in the week!

6. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Its warmed up a bit here this morning like 10 below, its sunny I`d fish today but I don't think there is much going on. The ice in the guides was bad enough last time out, on a day like to today its tenkara after a few casts. Really cold next week 20-30 below plus windchills. My time is best spent restocking my near empty boxes.

Its been a pretty warm winter thus far, the best winter fishing is yet to come. U betcha.

Oh just seen the news 30 to 37 below across the northern 2/3 of Minnesota last night. Cold
    Last edited by unknownflyman; 01-25-2019 at 12:54 PM.

8. Likes weiliwen, mcnerney liked this post

I planned to fish this weekend as its in the upper 30`s but after seeing the current conditions it looked pretty pointless on the northern driftless. Pretty much all frozen over with short three foot wide openings in moving water 20 yards long.

My friend said in the southern driftless fishing was good until melting snow turned the stream to chocolate milk. His report was about the best I saw all weekend.

10. Thanks smoke33 thanked for this post
    Likes mcnerney, dennyk liked this post
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE=unknownflyman;
    My friend said in the southern driftless fishing was good until melting snow turned the stream to chocolate milk. His report was about the best I saw all weekend.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much the same here, I checked a stream today it was free of ice and running dirty and about a foot high. I hope to break out the streamers and give it a shot tomorrow. I gotta get out, I'm experiencing withdraw symptoms!

Denny

12. Thanks Luggens thanked for this post
    Likes unknownflyman liked this post
  13. Default Re: 2019 Driftless Pictures and Reports

Great read. The photos could have been taken at my local trout stream here in southern Sweden (all browns here though). Im stealing your snowfly pattern. The black nosed dace already have twins in my flybox. Our season is still a month away from officially opening but it will probably be longer before it is fishable.

14. Likes unknownflyman liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by troutman75 View Post
    Great read. The photos could have been taken at my local trout stream here in southern Sweden (all browns here though). I’m stealing your snowfly pattern. The black nosed dace already have twins in my flybox. Our season is still a month away from officially opening but it will probably be longer before it is fishable.
    I wish you tight lines, I loved fishing Lapland, Id really like to get to the Em river this spring.

16. Likes troutman75 liked this post

Was in Manchester area this past Friday night and Saturday day. Water was clear, but fast. We struggled mightily to get on some fish. My lack of experience was I think, mostly to blame. I probably spooked fish before I knew they were there even though I wore snow type camo lol. I did get one thrill though. I did see a few sucking at something at the top. My 1st offering of a Elk hair Caddis (can't remember size) was hit and seemed to be pushed around a bit. I downsized to a 18 PMD. Caught my 1st Iowa driftless Rainbow (very plump 13 incher) on a dry fly. I have to tell you, it felt like a real satisfying accomplishment. Scenery was spectacular, snow was very deep. Not many fish, but a great memory, regardless.
    " I have learned that to be with those I like is enough" Whitman

18. Likes unknownflyman, ia_trouter liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast